Author Topic: IM-124 • Technique: Playing Scales With A Metronome  (Read 22828 times)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
Re: IM-124 • Technique: Playing Scales With A Metronome
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2018, 01:53:31 pm »
@Garfield
Yes, you hang in there and sudddenly it’ll work out for you.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2018, 03:13:33 pm »
Gareth, I agree with Joerfe, it will come. How about getting the groove with strumming 8th notes to that metronome speed as a quick warm up to the scale? Down strum on the click and up strum in the middle to get comfortable with that timing, then try the scale.
Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5, Ovation Balladeer
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano, Boss VE-2 Vocal Harmonist

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • What next???
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2018, 04:09:20 pm »
I had exactly the same problem with that, and yes as already said try down pick on the click and up in the gap, it won’t happen immediately but it will work!
Having fun learning Guitar and Ukulele, what more could you want?

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2018, 07:41:34 pm »
Thanks guys. It's been two weeks I feel it coming a bit but as I say I keep falling out of the rythym. I thought like everything else it the answer would be more time "in the shed". I'll keep at it.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2018, 08:21:10 pm »
Talk to yourself. Say "Down Up Down Up" as you pick each note, making sure the Down falls on the click.

If you're really struggling with the picking, just concentrate on picking a single string and ignore fretting anything, until you can handle the picking in time, then start adding in the fretting again.

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2018, 10:25:54 pm »
Thank you all. Just had a breakthrough. It was the usual frustrating 5 mins of not managing to keep in time at 70 bpm. For some reason I thought I'd try at 80 bpm and I seemed to manage that much more easily. Don't know why but I had the same thing when trying to play one note per click - a bit faster seems to be easier.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2018, 12:06:27 am »
Thank you all. Just had a breakthrough. It was the usual frustrating 5 mins of not managing to keep in time at 70 bpm. For some reason I thought I'd try at 80 bpm and I seemed to manage that much more easily. Don't know why but I had the same thing when trying to play one note per click - a bit faster seems to be easier.

It's because 80bpm will be a more natural rhythm for you. I'm sure I've seen somebody mention it correlates to heartrate, but it's essentially because 70-80bpm tempos are easier to maintain. Slower you need to think about when the next click is coming, so it's actually harder to keep in time with the click.
Off course now you've found your natural tempo, start pushing it both faster and slower.

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2018, 07:27:17 am »
Thanks m_c I think I can go quicker slower seems to be the issue. I'm just happy that I can (sort of) do it now I was thinking there was something wrong with me.

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2018, 09:52:40 am »
It's because 80bpm will be a more natural rhythm for you. I'm sure I've seen somebody mention it correlates to heartrate, but it's essentially because 70-80bpm tempos are easier to maintain. Slower you need to think about when the next click is coming, so it's actually harder to keep in time with the click.
Off course now you've found your natural tempo, start pushing it both faster and slower.

Not that anyone asked, but I have a pet theory about this  ;D

From dancing I know that faster is easier than slow, up to a certain point. My theory is that the easiest rhythm for humans to naturally keep is based on efficient muscle movement, not heartrate directly. I believe we've basically evolved to move most efficiently at an easy jogging pace, which for most people has a cadence of about 70-80. The biomechanics behind this I have no idea about, but for me there seems to be a natural correlation between my most comfortable and efficient running cadence and the rhythm I can keep in my head or on my guitar without too much deviation.
BC Stage 8 started January 2018
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2018, 02:31:34 pm »
..... but for me there seems to be a natural correlation between my most comfortable and efficient running cadence and the rhythm I can keep in my head or on my guitar without too much deviation.

Not sure my metronome can be dialed down slow enough to match my most comfortable and efficient running cadence  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App