Author Topic: IM-124 • Technique: Playing Scales With A Metronome  (Read 39985 times)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
Re: IM-124 • Technique: Playing Scales With A Metronome
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 09:57:14 am »
dunno how I did it before.
now I find myself doing an up pick on the beat when I go up the scale.

Watch what you're doing carefully - you're probably slipping out of alternate picking when you change strings, or something. Say out loud: "up, down, up, down..." as you pick the scale slowly, and check that what your pick is doing matches what your mouth is saying. It's worth concentrating to get this right, or it will only trip you up as you get faster an you'll have to come back to this point to un-learn the wrong way and learn the right way. (Guess how I know...)

Offline filiped

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 07:26:49 pm »
dunno how I did it before.
now I find myself doing an up pick on the beat when I go up the scale.

Watch what you're doing carefully - you're probably slipping out of alternate picking when you change strings, or something. Say out loud: "up, down, up, down..." as you pick the scale slowly, and check that what your pick is doing matches what your mouth is saying. It's worth concentrating to get this right, or it will only trip you up as you get faster an you'll have to come back to this point to un-learn the wrong way and learn the right way. (Guess how I know...)

i can do it correctly with 160beats... still doesnt feel natural to me $p
guess i need more practice :p

flp

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 11:34:22 am »
Hello there,

I have recently learned about syncopation and I'm currently praticing to play the scale notes between the clicks of the metronome.

When I start It's really hard for me to snap out of the metronome click and I have to force it and it also only works if I tap my foot at twice the speed of the metronome.

But after a little bit of time I kind of "zone in" and get this "jazzy"-feel for the melody and suddenly it's really easy and I can even improvise while staying between the beats.

However, whenever I stop for a second or change the speed of the metronome I'm "out" again and I will have to force myself into it again.

Why is this? And what can I do get there more instantly?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 12:01:00 pm »
Start by playing on the click AND between the click.  Emphasize the notes played on the upbeat (between the clicks) then drop the down beats (on the click).

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Night Guitarist

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 12:47:54 am »
Hey i just started getting serious again about my guitar.
im doing 7-9 hours a day now.
now when justin says 4 notes per click does he mean downupdownup per note?

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2013, 01:04:43 am »
when justin says 4 notes per click does he mean downupdownup per note?

I think it is down-up-down-up per click so 4 different notes per click: e.g. for G Major, it would be <click> G A B C<click>D E F# G <click>

(obviously the first note and the <click> should happen at the same time.)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2013, 01:07:14 am »
Yes.  Four picks per click.  16th note picking.

Shadow

Night Guitarist

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2013, 01:52:59 am »
i'm confused 4 picks per note correct?
not 4 notes and 4 picks right?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2013, 02:17:41 am »
So you did watch the lesson right?

At the end after you have worked your way up to 16th note picking it would be 4 picks and four different notes per click.

The clicks happen on 1 2 3 4Like this:

D  u  d  u   D  u  d  u   D  u  d  a   D  u  d  u   D  u  d  u
    1  e  +  a   2  e  +  a   3  e  +  a   4  e  +  a   1  e  +  a   
E|--------------------------------------------2--3--5---3--2--------|
B|-------------------------------------3---5------------------5--3--|
G|----------------------------2--4--5-------------------------------|
D|------------------2--4--5-----------------------------------------|
A|--------2--3---5--------------------------------------------------|
E|--3--5------------------------------------------------------------|

But you start with this one note per click:

D  U  D  U   D  U  D  U   D  U  D  U   D  U  D  U   D  U  D  U
    1  2  3  4   1  2  3  4   1  2  3  4   1  2  3  4   1  2  3  4   
E|--------------------------------------------2--3--5---3--2--------|
B|-------------------------------------3---5------------------5--3--|
G|----------------------------2--4--5-------------------------------|
D|------------------2--4--5-----------------------------------------|
A|--------2--3---5--------------------------------------------------|
E|--3--5------------------------------------------------------------|

Re-watch the lesson first time through, put your guitar down and watch and listen.  Second time play along with Justin.

He plays a single notes as a tool to help you get the vibe of the rhythm, but the point is to do it with the scale, every pick is a different note...

Shadow

Night Guitarist

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2013, 02:23:29 am »
sorry i wasn't clear i don't know that scale yet. i'm still on minor penatonic scale from stage 7 on the beginners course.
soo can you explain it again?
would it be 4 picks on the a notes then 4 picks on the c note?

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2013, 02:31:12 am »
each time you pluck a string is a different note.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2013, 02:32:42 am »
sorry i wasn't clear i don't know that scale yet. i'm still on minor penatonic scale from stage 7 on the beginners course.

If you are at stage 7 of the beginner course you are not ready for this lesson it's a
Intermediate Foundation 2 lesson.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2013, 02:38:42 am »
Bradt beat me... each pick is a note.  The pentatonic isn't a great choice for the scale picking (IM-124) because there are only two notes per string.   There is a REASON Justin recommended the major scale.

Honestly this and your other post, the questions you are asking and trouble you seem to be having understanding the answers lead me to believe you are getting way ahead of yourself.

Slow down.  Go through each beginners and intermediate lesson and if not master, at least get fluent and comfortable with each one before moving one.

Seems to me you watched the all lessons at once and are trying to learn them all at once.

Not a good idea in my opinion.  Enthusiasm good, but it needs to be focused.  Beginners course, intermediate course.

Shadow

Night Guitarist

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2013, 09:32:20 pm »
@shadowscott007 Will do man Thanks!
Thanks Guys!

Offline Flashmann

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Knows just enough to be dangerous
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 02:06:45 pm »
you are getting way ahead of yourself....... if not master, at least get fluent and comfortable with each one before moving one......Enthusiasm good, but it needs to be focused.

I wish I'd had the sense,a few months ago,to have those realizations..Or that I'd had the clarity to ask the questions that would have provoked those replies.....

Either would have saved me a boatload of frustration and grief.... :-\

Offline Majinn

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:23 pm »
Hi all,

Read every post on here. Lots of great tips.

I've finished IM Foundation 2 and I'm stuck on two things:

a) IM 125 intermediate  rhythm guitar (separate post in IM 125)

b) Alternate picking, (beat divided by two) of G major scale (as recommended by Justin). I can do it comformtably at 112bpm but as soon as move to 120 bpm I can't do it and I've been at it for a month and a half. Hence my question, should I just keep this part of my practice routine until I get there and continue to IM Foundation 3 or just stay at it? What do you king people recommend? IM practice routine is starting to be a bit dull now that I'm stuck on only two things.

Thanks!

Majinn

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2013, 01:05:33 pm »
b) check Justin's web site for the goals for each Foundation.  He lists goals to achieve before moving on.  I'd post the link, but I can't get to the website right now.

Anyway the goal for Foundation 2 is:
• Play the Major Scale Position 1 from memory with a metronome at least one note per click at 80 beats per minute.

Sounds like you're there.  The goal increases to 100 bpm in Foundation 3, 140bpm in Foundation 4, and two notes per click at 80 beats per minute in Foundation 5.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Majinn

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2013, 11:36:56 am »
b) check Justin's web site for the goals for each Foundation.  He lists goals to achieve before moving on.  I'd post the link, but I can't get to the website right now.

Anyway the goal for Foundation 2 is:
• Play the Major Scale Position 1 from memory with a metronome at least one note per click at 80 beats per minute.

Sounds like you're there.  The goal increases to 100 bpm in Foundation 3, 140bpm in Foundation 4, and two notes per click at 80 beats per minute in Foundation 5.

Thanks a lot! I had read that indeed ... but honestly because on the DVD Justing was talking about 160pm 4 times per click as the ultimate goal, I thought maybe the goals section was wrong :-)

As a general rule I don't look on the DVDs beyond the one I'm working on currently so thanks heaps for setting me straight!

Majinn

Offline redghost

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2013, 05:41:29 pm »
hey guys,

great lesson, again. but i'm struggling with the position of the pick a little bit. so i've made a little ilustration of how i understood it and wanted to ask you guys if this is right.

is this what justin meant by 30°?

and shall i also do this during strumming, or is it picking only?

thanks a lot!

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2013, 07:40:28 pm »
...is this what justin meant by 30°?

and shall i also do this during strumming, or is it picking only?

Yes, I think you've got that right.

You *can* use it for strumming and it will give a much softer sound, but mostly you wouldn't, IMHO.

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2014, 09:35:54 pm »
I've got up to 160 BPM at one click per note. Now started at two notes per click at 80BPM, but I've set my metronome to have a click between the beats. Is bad? I don't want to develop bad habbits
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2014, 11:13:56 pm »
I've got up to 160 BPM at one click per note. Now started at two notes per click at 80BPM, but I've set my metronome to have a click between the beats. Is bad? I don't want to develop bad habbits

So what is different between 1 note per click at 160 and 2 per click at 80  with a click in between? The metronome is still running at 160, isn't it? (Or have I misunderstood....)

When I dropped back to 2 notes per click, I found it much more difficult than 1 note per click at double the speed - you have to get the feel for dividing the beat yourself. I found it even harder when I dropped back to 4 per click.

FWIW, I would lose the extra click, but expect to have to drop down to a slower speed to start with (maybe 2 notes per click @ 70 or 75bpm).

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2014, 12:00:35 am »
FWIW, I would lose the extra click, but expect to have to drop down to a slower speed to start with (maybe 2 notes per click @ 70 or 75bpm).

I'd forget the drill all together and use my time to actually learn how to use the scale in solos and licks.
Just my 2c

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2014, 01:39:32 am »
So what is different between 1 note per click at 160 and 2 per click at 80  with a click in between? The metronome is still running at 160, isn't it? (Or have I misunderstood....)

When I dropped back to 2 notes per click, I found it much more difficult than 1 note per click at double the speed - you have to get the feel for dividing the beat yourself. I found it even harder when I dropped back to 4 per click.

I did try with with one click and two notes. But struggled. But I'll go back to one click and two notes.

I'd forget the drill all together and use my time to actually learn how to use the scale in solos and licks.
Just my 2c

I'm currently as part of practice schedule improvising both the major scale and minor pentatonic.

But this has really helped me get in a groove when improvising.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2018, 12:57:20 pm »
Hi

I've read the previous posts and I know a few people have asked this before. BUT...

I've just gone from 160bpm with one note per click to 70bpm with two notes per click and I'm struggling with the exercise. Dividing the beat myself and playing without a click is much harder than just playing on a click. I can get so far through the scale and then I sort of fall out of time. I'm tapping my foot, nodding my head and the metronome is at full whack. Is it just a question of practice will I get this in time? Does anyone have any good tips?

Thanks
G

Get The Forum As A Mobile App