Author Topic: IM-122 • One Minute Changes  (Read 7867 times)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
Re: IM-122 • One Minute Changes
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 04:43:35 am »
Hey Scott.

I know you are in the intermediate course now, but have you gone through the beginner's course here as well? You probably know a lot of the stuff in it, but there are a few lessons that have really helpful techniques for getting down new chords. It may be worth at least going through the videos if you haven't already.

I've been doing what you are doing too, and it seems to be helpful. One of the nice things is that it's easily scalable. I'll often switch every other beat for a while, then go back to switching every fourth when I start falling behind.

You'll still want to do the 1 minute timed set once in a while to check your progress.

Offline Slowtwitch

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 10:19:05 am »
Can someone maybe give advise!

I've been practicing 1 min changes between open and barr chords for some time now and am around 60-70 changes per min.

One of the things I find is that the neck of my guitar moves a lot when I'm doing the change, especially when I'm muting the 6th string with my thumb and then changing to a barr chord (say a D(open) to F#(barr)) with the thumb behind the neck at a similar position to Justin's thumb.

Is this normal - I don't see Justin's guitar moving much when he changes.

Offline DennisC

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 02:25:14 am »
I have been practicing for months and I am still having a hard time changing quickly from open chords to barre chords.  I don't know why this is so difficult for me.  Does anybody have any advice?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 04:59:18 am »
Do you play any songs?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 07:45:34 am »
Do you play any songs?

This!
Play a song from the beginners course and exchange just one of the chords with a barre chord. Play it slowly and build up speed when you can do the changes without effort.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 05:51:16 pm »
Is there any reason in the real world you'd play Barre Chord G and then open A chord, instead of just sliding the shape to the 5th fret and playing A as a barre chord, which would be easier? Maybe a slight different sound?
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 06:07:07 pm »
Is there any reason in the real world you'd play Barre Chord G and then open A chord, instead of just sliding the shape to the 5th fret and playing A as a barre chord, which would be easier? Maybe a slight different sound?

Lots of reasons I suppose. Sound being the obvious one. Or what chord comes after the A and how quick the change needs to be? It's easier to throw in an Asus4 or Asus2 for variation.....maybe some hammer-ons or flick-offs that are easier to do with a regular open A chord. Many things off the top of my head.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 08:03:15 pm »

Lots of reasons I suppose. Sound being the obvious one. Or what chord comes after the A and how quick the change needs to be? It's easier to throw in an Asus4 or Asus2 for variation.....maybe some hammer-ons or flick-offs that are easier to do with a regular open A chord. Many things off the top of my head.

Cheers.

That does make sense it's easier to embellish open chords.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 08:36:54 pm »

Another reason I'll do it is to give my hands a bit of a break in a barre-chord intensive song. Especially towards the end of a playing session when you're more likely to be getting tired.

Every so often I'll switch between barre and open chords randomly throughout a song, just to test how well I know the fretboard. Sometimes it sounds a bit weird, but other times you'll hit on a combination of open/barre chord grips that sound cool in a certain situation.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 06:23:14 am »
I have started to use open Fmaj7 instead of barre F in verses and then barre F in choruses (depending on the song, that is). I was inspired to do that from seeing Justin in some of his videos. Works great for the songs dynamics, and it gives you a break from the barres
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 07:42:11 pm »
Just out of curiousity, but Justin did not include the dom 7 and 7minor chords in the one-minute change listing, was this intentional?

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-122-1MinuteChanges.php

"1. A (open) to G Major (barre)
2. D (open) to F#min (barre)
3. C (open) to Ab Major (barre)
4. G (open) to Gb Major (barre)
5. E (open) to F# minor (barre)"

Even though Foundation 2 introduces 7 and min7 chords.
Started BC on October 21, 2016 - then IM on February 5, 2017...Stay focused on Justin's course and it will guide you...

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 07:50:49 pm »
Captain this is Justin following the KISS protocol I think, 7 1MC come in at stage 4. Slowly slowly catchy monkey, basics first as per normal. 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline SiegeFrog

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 10:21:45 pm »
I think he figures it's hard enough to change from an open chord and bar chord without including min 7 bar chords as well.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Get The Forum As A Mobile App