Author Topic: IM-122 • One Minute Changes  (Read 17304 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
IM-122 • One Minute Changes
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:01:28 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:15:08 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
Re: IM-122 • One Minute Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 02:40:38 pm »

On the G open to Gb barre change, I'm leading the G open with the pinkie.  (I'm using the G open with the pinkie on the high e string.) 

I can get the changes up to 25 change cycles per minute.  Is this still a problem?  ???

...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:15:33 pm »
no problem... but often better to practice what you find hardest!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

slam0077

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:45:13 am »
I am having so much trouble changing from an Am to a F barre chord. Especially when the rhythm ends with an up the change is often muddy.  I noticed that my pinkie leads the formation and the barre comes down last. How can I get the change to be clearer?

I learned to do an Am as 2nd finger on 2nd fret of D string, 3rd finger on 2nd fret of 3 string and 1st finger on 1st fret of b sting. If I switch my 2nd and 3rd finger the chord change is easier, but I'm not used to that position and it would work well just switching back and forth between the two but not in another chord progression.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so much, and thank you for an incredible site.

Offline Gorran

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:40:54 am »
I cant do the barre-chords. I always get at least one string dead. Ive practiced for nearly two years now and the problem is that my fingers are too soft, ie the are too swampy.

I suppose that there is no cure for it. But Im thinking of changing the frets to bigger ones.

Offline Goooner1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 01:01:36 pm »
Are you rotating your barring finger, so that it's sort of sideways on across the strings?

Offline Gorran

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 02:22:43 pm »
Are you rotating your barring finger, so that it's sort of sideways on across the strings?

I´ve tried everything exept peeling the flesh from the bones...

Offline Ricardomacrow

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 12:02:00 pm »
what I'm finding is I can play the barre chords ok but I'm struggling to get my index finger into the right shape in the air before I play the chords. As I've only just started this lesson I'm guessing it's just going to take practice to train my fingers to make the right shape, just wondering if anybody else has/had the same problem when they started?

jackbenimble

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 12:06:18 pm »
I cant do the barre-chords. I always get at least one string dead. Ive practiced for nearly two years now and the problem is that my fingers are too soft, ie the are too swampy.

I suppose that there is no cure for it. But Im thinking of changing the frets to bigger ones.

What if you increase the action, i.e. increase the distance of the strings from the fretboard?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 01:12:55 pm »
@jackbenimble: you realise this post was nearly three months old, right? ;)
Anyway, INcreasing the action is going to make the problem much worse. If anything, you want the action to be as low as possible, so you need less strength when playing barre chords (or any chord for that matter). In fact, high action is one of the most common causes for continuous problems with barre chords.

nyrang

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »
Hi all,
I'm looking for an advice on this lesson.

I can handle all the suggested chord changes rather confidently (I've already moved to the next Foundation, actually, as I achieve 30+ per minute on all of them), but I tend to lay my 3 and 4 finger very flat on the strings.

Now, this is not generally a problem, I don't end up muting strings or anything but still, sometimes my finger placement looks very awkward and I was wondering what would be best:
1) going on like this and, maybe, as I gain confidence the issue will fix by itself, or
2) go back, slow down and concentrate better on finger placement, to avoid learning bad habits.

What do you think?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 10:39:38 pm »
Door no 2: bad habits don't go away by constant repetition.

nyrang

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 09:02:43 pm »
Thank you, I basically agree.

Anyway, just to clear things out, the awkward, flat, finger placement I was talking about is not something I do instinctively, it's just a way to make it easier to hit all the right strings when changing very quickly. I have no problem in "hammering down" my fingers correctly, it's just that it makes me miss the strings more frequently.

My hope was that, as I practice more and more, accuracy will increase and I won't need to place my fingers flatter than necessary anymore. That's what I meant when I said the issue would fix by itself.

Anyway, I also think that forcing myself to be more precise right from the start will help me gain accuracy more quickly.

Now I just have to swallow my pride and accept falling down from 30+ to 20 changes per minute... :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »
@Gorran

Do you know any good guitar players or teachers that might be able help? I often find with bar chords there are little things a little tweaks to posture or finger placement, or the placement of your thumb around the back of the neck, that can make all of the different, but can usually only be spotted in the flesh.

Offline Scott2526

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 01:47:06 am »
I have been struggling with barre chords since I learned what barre chords were.  I don't struggle as much as some, but I do struggle.

My biggest struggle is getting the barre chord fully in place for beat one.  I usually in good shape by beat two.

I can do 25+ reps on the one minute changes.  But since there are only two chords I have a very good idea what to do.  My biggest issue is playing songs where I am playing many chords, thinking about the strum pattern, keeping the beat and then a barre chord come up.

So here is my thought.  If you have reasons this will not work, please stop me before I waste too much time. One minute changes where you play with a metronome and only change on beat one. 

Here is my thinking.  Most songs I play run between 80 and 110 bpm.  So that the 50+ I am doing and get faster, but not by making more changes.  Play 4 beats, then change.  Play the next chord 4 beats and change. Etc.   do this with ametronmone and work my what to 110 bpm. 

Since most songs on change chords on beat one and play at a faster speed, working my way to this should help.  Right?

Please let me know if you see issues or errors.  Or, if you have a better remedy.

Thanks

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 04:43:35 am »
Hey Scott.

I know you are in the intermediate course now, but have you gone through the beginner's course here as well? You probably know a lot of the stuff in it, but there are a few lessons that have really helpful techniques for getting down new chords. It may be worth at least going through the videos if you haven't already.

I've been doing what you are doing too, and it seems to be helpful. One of the nice things is that it's easily scalable. I'll often switch every other beat for a while, then go back to switching every fourth when I start falling behind.

You'll still want to do the 1 minute timed set once in a while to check your progress.

Offline Slowtwitch

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 10:19:05 am »
Can someone maybe give advise!

I've been practicing 1 min changes between open and barr chords for some time now and am around 60-70 changes per min.

One of the things I find is that the neck of my guitar moves a lot when I'm doing the change, especially when I'm muting the 6th string with my thumb and then changing to a barr chord (say a D(open) to F#(barr)) with the thumb behind the neck at a similar position to Justin's thumb.

Is this normal - I don't see Justin's guitar moving much when he changes.

Offline DennisC

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 02:25:14 am »
I have been practicing for months and I am still having a hard time changing quickly from open chords to barre chords.  I don't know why this is so difficult for me.  Does anybody have any advice?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 04:59:18 am »
Do you play any songs?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 07:45:34 am »
Do you play any songs?

This!
Play a song from the beginners course and exchange just one of the chords with a barre chord. Play it slowly and build up speed when you can do the changes without effort.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 05:51:16 pm »
Is there any reason in the real world you'd play Barre Chord G and then open A chord, instead of just sliding the shape to the 5th fret and playing A as a barre chord, which would be easier? Maybe a slight different sound?
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 06:07:07 pm »
Is there any reason in the real world you'd play Barre Chord G and then open A chord, instead of just sliding the shape to the 5th fret and playing A as a barre chord, which would be easier? Maybe a slight different sound?

Lots of reasons I suppose. Sound being the obvious one. Or what chord comes after the A and how quick the change needs to be? It's easier to throw in an Asus4 or Asus2 for variation.....maybe some hammer-ons or flick-offs that are easier to do with a regular open A chord. Many things off the top of my head.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 08:03:15 pm »

Lots of reasons I suppose. Sound being the obvious one. Or what chord comes after the A and how quick the change needs to be? It's easier to throw in an Asus4 or Asus2 for variation.....maybe some hammer-ons or flick-offs that are easier to do with a regular open A chord. Many things off the top of my head.

Cheers.

That does make sense it's easier to embellish open chords.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 08:36:54 pm »

Another reason I'll do it is to give my hands a bit of a break in a barre-chord intensive song. Especially towards the end of a playing session when you're more likely to be getting tired.

Every so often I'll switch between barre and open chords randomly throughout a song, just to test how well I know the fretboard. Sometimes it sounds a bit weird, but other times you'll hit on a combination of open/barre chord grips that sound cool in a certain situation.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 06:23:14 am »
I have started to use open Fmaj7 instead of barre F in verses and then barre F in choruses (depending on the song, that is). I was inspired to do that from seeing Justin in some of his videos. Works great for the songs dynamics, and it gives you a break from the barres
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Get The Forum As A Mobile App