Author Topic: IM-121 • E Shape Barre Chord Grip (7 and Min7)  (Read 25150 times)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
Re: IM-121 • E Shape Barre Chord Grip (7 and Min7)
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 07:14:51 pm »
Well it's certainly easier to learn barre chords on an electric so no harm in sticking with that until you're feeling comfortable with them and then transition to the acoustic again. In fact some would say thats a better approach to start with.

In terms of the acoustic I don't know anything about the Encore but if you think the guitar is worth it then a setup by a decent luthier is likely to sort out the action etc and make it easier than it is currently to play.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Heinz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 10:36:08 am »
I did actually take it in once and the guy adjusted the truss rod a bit, made it slightly more playable. But I do recall him saying that it wasn't a great instrument.  I wonder if it could be that it's just nearly impossible to play there barres on that guitar.. Or maybe if I tackle them on the Encore I'll be able to play them on anything :D?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 11:24:44 am »
If you persevere with the encore youll probably eventually be able to play barre chords BUT youll probably move quicker and get more enjoyment doing it on your electric.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline superinsha

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »
Hello,
I can only play these chords if I use the lower part (the 3rd bone) of my finger. Is that right, or do I need to amend this?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 03:53:25 pm »
No, that is not going to serve you well.

It's important you solve this now as other things build off this.

Watch the video again. Are you tilting you finger over a bit? Keeping it close to fret?

It's possible the strings on guitar are too high? Making it difficult to fret.

But that's not going to work. You want your index finger tip just going past the low E string, which basically means the first and second joint are doing most of the work.  The 3rd joint does catch the high e string.

If you can post a picture or vid maybe someone can figure what the issue is. But it needs to be taken care of now.
Gone

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2017, 01:53:26 pm »
Hello,
I can only play these chords if I use the lower part (the 3rd bone) of my finger. Is that right, or do I need to amend this?

As TB says, not a good idea. This shapes time practice and patience, lots and lots of all of these, Took me a good year to get these clean. Also a good set up is key. Also try around the 7th or 8th fret, get it right there and then work down the neck to that nasty F !

BTW welcome to the forum.  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2017, 02:15:55 pm »
Just so we are all on the same wavelength..... when you say 3rd bone.....??

distal = finger tip
middle = middle joint
proximal = connects to palm

When you say 3rd, you are referencing the proximal bone?

http://classconnection.s3.amazonaws.com/714/flashcards/742714/png/hand_bone1317332544250.png
Gone

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 08:06:49 am »
I still have problems with that.chord. D and G strings are dead. My indexfinger is too soft on that spot. I don't know what I can do. Need help.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 02:49:31 pm »
This is how I got the hang of it
Put the index down, push the index finger up towards the nut without moving it, pull the guitar neck towards you using your arm while keeping the guitar body still, pluck the strings, if all OK then put the other fingers down and pluck again.
Now I have the hang of it I don't need to pull the neck so much.

You can also try put the index down flat and not roll it over and raise your index finger knuckle so you can feel the middle of the index finger is pressing the middle strings and the outer strings not so much, this works for me too.
I am new to this stage though so although it is working for me it may not be correct.

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2017, 02:52:41 pm »
The problem is that my Index finger is soft on that part. I can move it up but than the E A and D string are dead. I need to get that part harder with callus. Maybe there is something else for my finger?

Sent from my F3111 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Quackophony

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 03:33:59 pm »
I've found that instead of using your thumb as leverage for the index finger, try pulling the neck towards your body using the barre shape. The overall force applied is greater this way since you're using your forearm instead of the muscle between your thumb and index finger. I've also found that the pressure distribution of the index finger on the strings is significantly more uniform this way.

Offline superinsha

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 06:00:26 pm »
Hi. My problem that I experience problems at the barre BELOW the 6th fret. Its easier at the top. Can anyone guide me?

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 08:22:20 am »
So the D and G strings are still dead. Is there any chance to cheat a little bit. My finger is too soft on that parts. It does not get better at all. I am not going to the next stage untill I can play those chords. The minor bar chords are a problem as well because of the dead g string. I need help. Thank you.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 10:57:36 am »
Hi. My problem that I experience problems at the barre BELOW the 6th fret. Its easier at the top. Can anyone guide me?

If you are having problems with barring from fret 1 to 5 that is perfectly normal. Get you barre sorted at fret 6 and then move towards fret 1 one fret a time.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 12:04:49 pm »
So the D and G strings are still dead. Is there any chance to cheat a little bit. My finger is too soft on that parts. It does not get better at all. I am not going to the next stage untill I can play those chords. The minor bar chords are a problem as well because of the dead g string. I need help. Thank you.

It is a very common problem. If you look closer you probably can see that the crease in the skin hits the G string.
Make sure that when you position your index finger, you roll it back towards the nut. But only ever so slightly. This gives you a more firm base to press down the strings.
If you already do this, you can try and move your index finger to have a little more of the tip above the neck.
Maybe you could post a picture?
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2017, 12:14:54 pm »
Here are two pictures.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2017, 12:29:06 pm »
Right. From the pictures I can't really decide if you are rolling back your finger. Are you?
If you were to barre at the 5th fret, do you have the same problem?
/Jesper

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2017, 12:45:13 pm »
Right. From the pictures I can't really decide if you are rolling back your finger. Are you?
If you were to barre at the 5th fret, do you have the same problem?
Yes I did and yes I also have the problem on any fret.
This part is softer than the other parts of that finger
You see it is not completely straight. When I move the Finger one string down, it's the G and B string who are dead.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 01:29:51 pm »
This part is softer than the other parts of that finger
You see it is not completely straight. When I move the Finger one string down, it's the G and B string who are dead.

Please remember that everyone (well, almost) experience that particular problem. And I am pretty sure that even though your finger is not perfectly straight, you will be able to do the barre chords in time.

Did you try to raise your index finger a bit?
/Jesper

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 01:39:37 pm »
I can play Bar chords. Only the full bar minor and 7 chords are the problem. Yes I did. I use that for the minor bar chords. I have to move it up more than a little bit. This works but it is very uncomfortable.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2017, 03:43:04 pm »
In the case of 7 and minor 7 your index finger is more exposed, so to speak.
I suggest you give it some more practice.
Try and focus on your elbow dragging your hand in place. The upper part of your index finger needs to work as a hinge and your elbow closes that hinge.
/Jesper

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2017, 06:38:36 pm »
I echo Joerfe's suggestion: the problem is usually that the middle strings are hitting right where the creases are from the joints. Then, no matter how hard you squeeze, you can't get a clean note. You have to shift your index finger vertically until the strings no longer align. Sometimes shifting down is better than shifting up.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 11:26:10 pm »
@R

1. Wash your hands with rubbing alcohol twice a day. It will toughen them up a bit.

2. I don't know where you thumb is in those pictures but it's not where it's supposed to be.

3. The tip of your index finger is too far over the board. Should be just about at the edge.

--- 3a. It's not unusual to have you index finger curve a bit from this shape | to this shape (. The latter combined with the tip pressing right into the corner where the fret and board edge meet. The point of pressure being quite a bit at the tip of finger. Then thumb will then help anchor the rest... but not from wherever your thumb is.
Gone

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 04:30:59 am »
If I move the index finger down a little bit the strings D G and B are dead. I tired everything beides the part with the alcohol. The bone from this finger is not straight that's way it is too soft on that part.I I can press the finger down as hard as I can and still the same. I need a thick callus on that part.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2017, 07:35:01 pm »
so you are saying you can't lay your index finger across all 6 strings and stum them and have them all ring out?

If that is true, then lay your middle finger across all 6 and strum. Next lay your ring finger across all 6 and strum.

Do those ring out?

There is nothing wrong with your finger. No one has calluses up the side of there fingers.

When you play the Fm7 barre use your middle finger to press down on your index finger as well.

Play F7 dah dah dah da Bb dah dah dah da   1 2 3 &  D D D U let the U be a mute strings and when you change chords. Chord Chord Chord Mute/Change Chord Chord Chord Mute/Change  etc. About 90 bpm.

Make the chords stacato.. iow, cut them off so it's chop chop chop change chop chop chop change.

Your thumb should be somewhere under fret 1 and pointed back to tuning machines

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App