Author Topic: IM-117 • Songs for Foundation 1  (Read 13595 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
IM-117 • Songs for Foundation 1
« on: December 03, 2010, 12:13:32 pm »
Questions or suggestions for songs that might be good at this stage using only things covered so far!

Lesson Link: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-117-Songs-IF1.php
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:04:17 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline MaxHallden

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: IM-117 • Songs for Foundation 1
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:05:08 pm »
I tried to transcribe Dont Look back in Anger - Oasis, but could not get the chords sound right while playing along to the record.. is this song in any alternate tuning on the original recording?

Thanks for this fantastic method BTW!

Cheers

Offline the_twin

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:18:09 pm »
Oasis songs quite often use a capo - try that
Have a peek inside of my Road Case

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:23:55 pm »
Don't Look Back in Anger is in standard tuning and doesn't use a capo as far as I'm aware.

A good song for this stage would be Oasis' All Around The World as it uses all barre chords (I think). The only stumbling block is it contains a couple of key changes.

Offline MaxHallden

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:51:23 pm »
Thanks for the tip Iris!

I checked my chords on a few different sites and they were almost correct. I found a karaoke-version on spotify and it sounds right when I play along with standardtuning.

I found this on wikipedia:
"The song has a tuning of A at 455 Hz instead of the standard 440 Hz which is used on live performances. The same special tuning can be heard in the song "Some Might Say".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Look_Back_in_Anger

alexmdac

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 05:22:24 am »
It's not a guitar song, but Rent by Pet Shop Boys is all E-shaped major and minor chords.

Offline Dropd

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 03:33:21 pm »
I have done the JUSTIN method foundation 1 and managed to get the E shape major and minor barre progressions and the A minor pentatonic solo mostly correct so decided to move onto trying to transcribe Don't look back in anger. I have had a few goes at this in the transcribe programe and it all just sounds like mush to me I can't even pick out a base note to give me a start.
So should I
1. persevere with attempting to transcribe songs like this or
2. Continue with the Justin method throughout the course untill my transcribing skills improve.
This has been my first attempt at transcribing

Offline MaxHallden

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 03:50:03 pm »
Hi Dropd,

I also came across this problem, see my post above.
There is something going on with the tuning on the recording, i transcribed a karaokeversion on Spotify and it worked just fine.
When you play along with the record in standardtuning your guitar sounds completely out of tune.

Offline MaxHallden

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 03:56:29 pm »
Another tune that also uses just E-shape barrechords is Everlast - Black Jesus,
not that hard to work out because its repeats same 4 chords all the time..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiUTfk3pkII

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 09:52:22 pm »
If you get real stuck, a good thing to do is to try the lesson in the Trascribing area, called Finding The Bass notes!

That should help get your ear tuned! ;)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 05:55:00 am »
Everlong, by the Foo Fighters, is a good one for this stage. It uses 16th note strumming, octaves, and proto-barre chords. It sounds great on acoustic or electric, solo or with a band. It's in drop D, and once you do that, it's not too hard to work it out yourself - and there's heaps of really good versions on youtube.

And it rocks.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 10:54:56 am »
A few more songs for this stage - All Along the Watchtower, for which Justin has a lesson. Also Creep by Radiohead. If you play the acoustic version off of the My Iron Lung EP it's just G, B, C and Cmin, with 16th note strumming. The electric one uses octaves too.

For the Aussies, there's Heavy Heart by You Am I too, which mixes open and E-shape barre chords.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline jerronimo3000

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 03:19:21 pm »
Yeah, the tuning for don't look back in anger is a little off the normal A = 440hz which is why no matter what you do you can't seem to find the right chords! ;D  You can still sort of get them, but they sound pretty off, even if they're right.

Offline Diamond Dave

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 01:54:29 am »
Thanks for the additional song suggestions everyone. Any more you can suggest that cover what's learned in Int. Meth. Found. 1? I'm not too keen on any that Justin suggests. Not to transcribe, but to play. We need an intermediate method songbook!  ;D
WARNING: Everything I post may be wrong. :)
Some guitars, a ukulele and an amp.

Nowhere_Boy

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:09:11 pm »
The Pyramid Song by Radiohead uses only the E-shape barre chord (Maj  & Min) and one open chord, it's a pretty simple sequence, not too much harder than the J.U.S.T.I.N ear training stuff for this level.

It's a piano on the song but it sounds great on guitar. Really nice song to play.  :)

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 06:25:48 pm »
Anyone know off the top of their heads if any of the songs in the Beginner book have e-shaped bar chords that could be used in this section?

I'm generally more familiar with the songs in the book than any of the foundation 1 songs Justin listed on the website.  TIA.
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 07:19:46 pm »
Anyone know off the top of their heads if any of the songs in the Beginner book have e-shaped bar chords that could be used in this section?

I'm generally more familiar with the songs in the book than any of the foundation 1 songs Justin listed on the website.  TIA.

Not sure I understand the question.

Remember everyone's favourite - F? This is a E maj shaped barre chord, which I assume is why Justin stuck the damn thing in the BC to ease us gently into it. :D

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-111-EShapeMajorMinorBarreChords.php

So a partial answer to your question is 'any song in the Beginner's Songbook that has the Dreaded F Chord in it' - which includes the Stage 6 songs, and beyond.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 188
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 08:12:47 pm »
CA

Any song you want.
eg
Stage 1 - Three Little Birds A D E
Open E Barre A at 5th Barre D at 10th
Stage 3 - Working Class Hero
G barre at 3rd Am barre at 5th open D or D barre at 10th

Just a couple to get you thinking - note song wise you need to be a bit more intuitive in the IM and start thinking for yourself, especially on how and where to apply these shapes.

Apply same logic to all songs mixing major and minor E shaped barre, just find the root you want on the 6th string. Same for those stage 5 blues and 7th. You know the shapes work the chords out and apply.

Gets easier once you know the 5th rooted A shaped barres as well but you can pretty much play any song in the BC using these shapes.

Toby
 8)

Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 02:53:15 pm »
CA

Any song you want.
eg
Stage 1 - Three Little Birds A D E
Open E Barre A at 5th Barre D at 10th
Stage 3 - Working Class Hero
G barre at 3rd Am barre at 5th open D or D barre at 10th

Just a couple to get you thinking - note song wise you need to be a bit more intuitive in the IM and start thinking for yourself, especially on how and where to apply these shapes.

Apply same logic to all songs mixing major and minor E shaped barre, just find the root you want on the 6th string. Same for those stage 5 blues and 7th. You know the shapes work the chords out and apply.

Gets easier once you know the 5th rooted A shaped barres as well but you can pretty much play any song in the BC using these shapes.

Toby
 8)

Thanks.  My question was related to Justin's comment to playing songs that have the "E-shaped bar chord" here:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-117-Songs-IF1.php

I misinterpreted his sentence about finding songs with that particular shape, I read it that he was saying only certain songs use it when it is the other way around - all songs can use that shape when playing chords instead of using an open chord, its where you choose to apply it.
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 188
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:33 pm »
- all songs can use that shape when playing chords instead of using an open chord, its where you choose to apply it.

Yes and you'll find sometimes the open chord sounds better than playing a barre. Its all down to building experience. For example you could play an E as an E shaped barre chord up at the 12 th fret 6 th string root but find an open E suits that particular song better. Or an A shaped E at the 8th fret with a 5 th string root which you'll get in IM stage 2.

What I do is mix it up a bit for the sake of practice. I'll play a song from the BC that I know well, using E shapes A shapes and Open chords swapping around during verses or chorus, messing about with rhythm patterns, just for the experience to hear what works and what doesn't.
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Elizabeth A

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 04:43:57 pm »
Hi, Nice to be here-)
Am doing Intermediate Course and cannot find text lesson IM117 on the website although Justin says in video lesson IM 118 that it is there ... Anybody help??? Thank you from a non-techie!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 634
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 04:51:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum ...

here is the link you need.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App