Author Topic: IM-114 • Technique: Minimum Movement Exercise  (Read 28344 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 140
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: IM-114 • Technique: Minimum Movement Exercise
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2020, 10:30:44 am »
So when should i practice muting?
When doing improvisation exercises?  or maybe all the time unless im building up speed?
The best way to practice muting is in context rather than scales, find a piece you really like that involves muting and learn it using muting as and when needed. I found Van Haley stuff great for learning muting techniques, the first one I used was his version of ‘Pretty woman’ - it’s an age thing 😂 This might help!

Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline geoff.archer54

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2020, 01:10:46 pm »
To me it was all about relaxing and doing it very very slowly. Sometimes to the point of having my fingers hover over the string (not touching) and waiting until they stopped twiching. Over time my fingers wouldn't fly as much. The nice thing is this really helps with your speed to. So take the time now it will pay off later.

Couldn't agree more with the comment about relaxing. Being aware of the tension in my body (from chest to the ends of my fingers) and learning to consciously relax and de-stress whilst practising has helped fluency and accuracy no end. I think more than any other exercise.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2020, 02:36:41 pm »
You know what really helps before I play is a 5 minute meditation session. Ppl who have watched me play say I am so relaxed. Even when on stage I have the same mindset. Meditation really helps after a stressful day at work.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Get The Forum As A Mobile App