Author Topic: IM-114 • Technique: Minimum Movement Exercise  (Read 10263 times)

Offline batwoman

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
Re: IM-114 • Technique: Minimum Movement Exercise
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 06:09:40 am »
Have you tried the finger stretching exercises in the beginner course?
BC 135. If not would be a good place to start. If you have already done it
go back and review it again. It will really improve your finger dexterity.

Thanks Stitch. Yes I do this, starting further up the neck on the 8th fret (TE 110) I also do Hammer-ons (FO 109) as well as a few other things I've found on the internet. If I push it too hard my wrist hurts. I guess it's like everything else, daily practise over a period of time will bring improvement.

Offline Loefgren

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
  • It's gonna take patience and time...
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 06:45:26 am »
Oh god, this one is difficult. I had no idea I had such poor finger control. A wonder I can play guitar at all. Worked with it for a week and can't see much improvement. Any ideas on other practice drills one can do to imrove finger control? I am thinking about something I can do at my desk at work, when I have lots of free time :-)
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 08:22:52 am »
Oh god, this one is difficult. I had no idea I had such poor finger control. A wonder I can play guitar at all. Worked with it for a week and can't see much improvement. Any ideas on other practice drills one can do to imrove finger control? I am thinking about something I can do at my desk at work, when I have lots of free time :-)

It is a difficult exercise for sure, but your work will pay off in terms of the speed you can change chords and notes. Just stick with it and be consistent and you will get there.
I do not have many exercises for when not having a guitar in your hands, but maybe typing on your computer keyboard could be an excercise.
When writing this post I notice that my fingers barely lifts themselves going from one key to another. Maybe that could be transferred to guitar playing, I don't know.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 11:37:05 am »
I'm sure Stitch has mentioned this one a few times but its good for min movement and individual finger control.

Hand flat on desk palm down fingers spread. One by one index to pinkie to index raise each finger up then down focusing on moving just one finger at a time. Middle/ring and ring/pinkie combos can be a sod to isolate with practice you'll get greater control and stop those flying digits.

Toby

Sent from my MID2809 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 04:52:15 pm »
For me just playing scales had a massive difference on my individual finger control. Not so much in terms of the minimum movement was buy my fingers "knowing" where each string were. When it comes to improve or solos one of my biggest drags (still not great) was being able to land the fretting fingers on the correct strings up and down the fret board.

From my point of the palm flat on the desk side of things doesn't make a lot of difference. I touch type a lot at work and don't find individual finger control difficult....it doesn't translate seamlessly to guitar unfortunately although I have to admit I don't have too much in the way of fly away fingers.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Loefgren

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 08:45:32 am »
Thanks Toby, I have worked a bit with that exercise at work and finger control is getting a little better. I  see a small improvement in mimimum movement when playing G major scale. Still difficult though.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Loefgren

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #36 on: Today at 08:22:18 am »
After working on this a couple of weeks finger control has really improved for me. And as Joerfe and Justin says this exercise really helps for chord changes as well. Changes has become quicker and more accurate. Even changes from open chords to e-shape bar chords is starting to work better. Good exercise! I will continue work with it for sure. Still some fingers that wanna fly away when playing the scale...
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App