Author Topic: IM-114 • Technique: Minimum Movement Exercise  (Read 31096 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
IM-114 • Technique: Minimum Movement Exercise
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:46:18 am »
Questions...

Lesson Link: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-114-MinimumMovement.php

==============================================================
@Origami don't think it matters as long as the fingers are not flying off the fingerboard!

It is hard! :)

@Acuity - you probably just need to give it more time, I've never had a student not improve after doing this for a few weeks!

you should not keep the fingers on a string you just left - but keep then in the same area - just don't leave them pressed down I guess - just cos they are likely to mute the string you are going to!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:06:09 pm by TB-AV »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Beckman

Re: IM-114 • Technique: Minimum Movement Exercise
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 01:54:18 am »
Hello all. First time posting on the forum.

I have read through the Intermediate Guitar Method Lessons forum and I see no postings for people having troubles with the technique demonstrated in IM-114.  What the ..... ???  Am I the only one with hugely disfunctional fingers?   :o

I could have sworn Justin's example of "flying fingers" was a video of my left hand.  And sadly, I was laughing endlessly as I watched the video.  That's me!!!!

I never thought of this aspect before in terms of improper technique in my guitar playing.  Accordingly, this lesson, as odd as it may sound, is hugely impactful on me.

Now.. what to do with my problem?  My overall guitar skills are pretty good as an intermediate (as I have been told by others guitarists) but this "issue" is apparently quite problematic for me as I never really thought about my finger positioning before (such as in this lesson).

First, I now realize that a simple four fret four finger fingering positioning is being done very poorly. Finger #1 and #2 are in good position but Finger #3 is rolled over excessively and placed very closely to Finger #2 (almost lying at the beginning on the fret and not the end as it should be). And Finger #4 (my pinky), while spread nicely to the end of the fourth fret is also rolled over excessively and I find very little string pressure is in place.

Second, in doing the exercise of 'minimal finger movement' up and down the strings on 4 consecutive frets (forget doing the scales at this point) my pinky is flying in the air like a flag flapping in the wind. And despite the most intense concentration and not even plucking a string (just running fingers 1-2-3-4 per string) I just cannot control my fingers.

Any tips beyond the ideas shown in the video to help me? I am particularly concerned about my first point; the configuration of Fingers # 3 and #4.

I welcome your ideas and suggestions. And yes I get, practice practice and slow slow but I think I am missing some basic element of finger orientation.

Thanks in advance.

Beckman

Beckman

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:06:27 am »
Beckman again. :)

I should add .. I just tried again to have the proper finger positioning and movement working up and down the strings(starting in 2nd fret position) and noticed two things:

The problem is exasperated as I play the 4th string and then 5th string and is worst on the 6th string. Secondly, my pinky is possessed and just wants to do what it wants to do and flies in the air and first opportunity. Ugh! 

Maybe I should have an elastic band around the 3rd and 4th fingers to keep the two close as buddies so they can't work so independently?  LOL

dwood29d

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:02:48 am »
Actually, I have the same problem with my pinky flying off too far. The other 3 fingers not so much. To be honest though, I just slowed down a TON, and don't even worry about rhythm while I'm doing it yet. As soon as I get to my pinky [which is the one I have the most trouble] I focus on it and make sure it doesn't come too far off. I do have a question though. Is it good or bad to bring my pinky back and tuck it under my ring finger when it's not on a fret? I would assume bad, and I try not to do it, but it also seems like it could have advantages.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:00:46 am »
Personal opinion: it's definitely bad to do that. You're impeding the flexibility of your other fingers and concentrating on somethings that's completely inconsequential. If the pinky isn't needed, it doesn't really matter if it wonders off a little.

The pinky problem has a lot to do with flexibility. In my humble exoerience, with practice it becomes a lot easier to keep the pinky from flying off.

For me, the trick was (is) to play more stuff that includes the pinky. Many beginners seem to avoid the pinky (and some YT guitar teachers actually tell them to). But the more you use it, the easier it gets.

Offline olmolli

• Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:55:28 pm »

Though I am only slowly starting to mature as an intermediate player, I came across a simple hint to help minimize flying fingers problem, once you should be able to do it, i.e. you have control of your finger movement at least on some level while watching them, but they still tend to raise too high or point to where ever while not staring at them.  Here it is:

Play as close to a wall as you can, so that the knuckles of your fretting hand are barely off the wall while moving your fingers.

You will notice when your fingers start to fly and you'll actually get a fast reminder that "you missed it" as your fingers touch the wall

Not my invention, got it somewhere and thought to pass it on. This has helped me a lot.

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:54:11 pm »
Another "crazy pinkie" here :) The rest are fine, with care, but that one just flails 2cm away even when all I try to do is relax the finger, nevermind move it. Weird.

Offline H M Murdock

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 03:03:16 pm »
I'm another with the pinkie issue. I can manage the other 3 fingers quite easily but the pinkie just seems to have a mind of it's own and as soon as I stop concentrating really hard it's back to at least 2cm off the fretboard but the others are fine.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I guess it's just going to take time and practice on this one
Everything louder than everything else

https://www.facebook.com/matt.m.gilbert

Offline Setneck Tele USA

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 07:53:39 pm »
Personal opinion: it's definitely bad to do that. You're impeding the flexibility of your other fingers and concentrating on somethings that's completely inconsequential. If the pinky isn't needed, it doesn't really matter if it wonders off a little.

The pinky problem has a lot to do with flexibility. In my humble exoerience, with practice it becomes a lot easier to keep the pinky from flying off.

For me, the trick was (is) to play more stuff that includes the pinky. Many beginners seem to avoid the pinky (and some YT guitar teachers actually tell them to). But the more you use it, the easier it gets.

^^^^this
When I grow up I'm going to be Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler

Offline marzzz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 01:54:18 am »
This exercise is absolutely diabolical! Really have to concentrate to control the pinky, especially while descending.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 02:27:45 am »
This exercise is absolutely diabolical! Really have to concentrate to control the pinky, especially while descending.

But it is a really great exercise that you will benefit greatly from. I have noticed the difference from my chord changes compared with so many others when watching youtube videos. A lot of them have their fingers flying all over the place.

\m/ rock on \m/
end Jesper
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 10:17:31 am »

Oh yes, a killer 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 12:00:50 pm »
I think it makes a difference if the pinky is bent at the first and second knuckles, and not almost flat to the fretboard as some people have it.  Seems to behave itself a bit better that way.

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 07:42:44 pm »
Ok so I've now started doing this exercise as part of my IM Foundation 1 routine. Is it me or does your pinkie have a greater tendency to 'fly' when you get down to the lower 3 strings ? Or is it me ?

The tip for bending the pinkie joints seem to help and this also a great way to play the Major scale pattern 1 (E shaped) reeeaaallll slooooooooooooooooow.  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 07:33:46 pm »
So OK is there some kind of Jedi mind control thing to stop my pinkie having a mind of its own. Co-operating sometimes and then saying screw why do I need to be 2mm from that damn string again, I'm of with the fairies. AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh >:( >:( >:(

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 12:12:26 am »
It's not just you.
Unless I'm paying attention to what my fretting hand is up to, my pinkie is heading for orbit.

Offline Clambone56

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 05:42:59 pm »
Definitely one of the hardest things I have tried learning on the guitar. At one point I thought I would never get it but after a year of almost daily practice I think I have it about right. Still nothing like the smoothness that Justin has but I guess that needs another 10 years or so of practice! Slowing down really helps as does pressing lightly to start off with and sloooowing down!
Started guitar October 2012
Plays: a Breedlove Solo Concert
and a Yamaha Pacifica 112 with a Yamaha practice amp

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 11:45:33 am »
Definitely one of the hardest things I have tried learning on the guitar. At one point I thought I would never get it but after a year of almost daily practice I think I have it about right. Still nothing like the smoothness that Justin has but I guess that needs another 10 years or so of practice! Slowing down really helps as does pressing lightly to start off with and sloooowing down!

Keep at it Clambone. I am nowhere near Justin in this ability but I am definately better than before. It is a pleasure to watch your own fingers start dancing just above the strings!
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.

Offline Shaolindelt

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 04:19:29 am »
I just hit this lesson and have to say, the exercise is really helpful.  Interestingly enough, I read through this thread and everyone is complaining about the pinky . . . Mine tends to behave but where I have trouble is with the ring finger.  And then if I fix that, the pinky goes off on a tangent . . .  Slow and steady.
BC 2/15, IC - 3/16
Fender Squier Std Strat, 1 MIA, 2 MIM, 2 CV, 1 Epi LP Custom Pro, PRS Angelus SE Acoustic, PRS Silver Sky Nebula
Fender Mustang GT50, Vox AC4TV, VHT Special 6, Fender Blues Jr

Offline geronimo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 08:05:33 pm »
It's like having 4 children. The oldest 3 are reasonably well behaved, but the youngest is hyperactive, always jumping around and charging off all over the place. Maybe with enough teamwork exercises the baby will eventually get it and become like its older siblings.
It's hard being a parent to a left hand!! >:(

Offline WCP

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 02:41:27 am »
I have been playing for a very long time and hit a wall years ago as a "mature" intermediate.
However, this lesson has me in total disarray. Not only does my pinky fly off into orbit but my 3rd finger is unruly as well...no matter how slowly I try to fret a note. They say that bad habits are incredibly hard to break, but this is disheartening.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 03:19:05 am »
Think of it as learning something new instead of breaking a bad habit. You're teaching your fingers a new technique
and something new always takes time.

Offline geph

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 06:18:03 pm »
Just been reading the problems people are having with their pinkies, and I have them as well, but I also have a the problem with my pinkie when I play an A shape Barre chord higher up the neck or I carry out a string bend my pinkie automatically goes behind the fretboard, it doesn't seem to impede what I'm doing, so do I just ignore it or do I add it to the minimum movement training

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 06:42:12 pm »
I wouldn't ignore it. Your going to need to use your pinky in some techniques and it being
behind the fret board will be a problem.

As for the Minimum Movement I'd highly recommend it. It will improve your playing in all  sorts of
ways other than pinky training. It will improve the speed and dexterity of your hand which in turn
improves your over all playing.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 07:09:02 pm »
You might as well get the pinky into the game now. No need to postpone it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
/Jesper

Get The Forum As A Mobile App