Author Topic: IM-113 • Major Scale Position 1  (Read 39838 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 447
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: IM-113 • Major Scale Position 1
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2019, 08:16:48 pm »
@ sairfingers ... yes ... although I must ask how high up the neck are you playing it?

In practical terms you will very rarely - well, never really - play scale runs on the thickest two strings up above say fret 13-15.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2019, 08:20:09 pm »
When practicing scales I say yes, when playing lead not so much.
Practicing is getting use to where the notes are and getting the sound/intervals
into your head.

When actually using the notes of a scale to make music it's more about ergonomics
and feel. Very seldom do you use one scale position when soloing. You'll be sliding
up and down between 2 or 3 positions and fingering will be determined more by where
you're going next than the actual pattern your playing.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2019, 08:51:56 pm »
@ sairfingers ... yes ... although I must ask how high up the neck are you playing it?

In practical terms you will very rarely - well, never really - play scale runs on the thickest two strings up above say fret 13-15.
I’m playing the scale pattern up at fret 12 and am finding it easier to move my 3rd finger up a fret rather than use my 4th finger. However based on your and stitch’s advice I’ll get that pinkie in place.
When practicing scales I say yes, when playing lead not so much.
Practicing is getting use to where the notes are and getting the sound/intervals
into your head.
Thanks stitch. Lead is beyond me at the moment so I’ll stick to the scale and use the correct fingering as you advise.

Thanks guys.
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X.
Arrived Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM & Fingerstyle. Played a Framus archtop accoustic as a teenager in the late 60’s, then life got in the way for 50 years.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2019, 11:17:39 pm »
Basically, yes. But you can adapt the fingering if you need to. For example, using the 3rd finger instead of the 4th on all 3 note per string lines.
And, yes, it is a squeeze up at the dusty end, but practice will help you learn what hand angle and finger combinations work.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2019, 08:02:26 am »
[quote author=Majik link=topic=23945.msg411840#msg411840 date=1575501459
And, yes, it is a squeeze up at the dusty end, but practice will help you learn what hand angle and finger combinations work.
[/quote]
Thanks Majik. As ever with everything guitar it’s practice!
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X.
Arrived Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM & Fingerstyle. Played a Framus archtop accoustic as a teenager in the late 60’s, then life got in the way for 50 years.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App