Author Topic: IM-113 • Major Scale Position 1  (Read 37596 times)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
Re: IM-113 • Major Scale Position 1
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2017, 09:01:59 pm »
Hi there - new user - Playing for quite a while but never had patience to try for the next level - so I have the Book and it looks like it is going to be very useful.  I want to understand and be comfortable with Scale Patterns - So I am looking at P18/19 at the G major Scale - My question is - is it a bad idea to use ring finger instead of small finger when practising this scale.  My little finger feels quite awkward on the fretboard apart from some basic hammer ons on the thin e string. 

Thanks for reading this - I hope you understand were I'm coming from with this question

Dave Bell

Dave, I understand completely where you are coming from. My ringfinger does the same: take over for the pinky. To be honest, it's a bad habit. You should strive to use your pinky as much as possible. Only by doing that it gets stronger and better.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2017, 07:23:02 am »
Dave, I understand completely where you are coming from. My ringfinger does the same: take over for the pinky. To be honest, it's a bad habit. You should strive to use your pinky as much as possible. Only by doing that it gets stronger and better.
Hear! Hear!

I start every session with a short finger gym workout. All 4 fingers over 4 frets up and down all strings in variius patterns. And a few months down the line can see the difference.  Even starting to see first signs of a guitarist's callous on that pinkie  :)

Persevere and it'll come to the party

Offline davebell

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2017, 01:36:42 pm »
Thank you gents 

Offline tony6767

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2018, 12:31:13 pm »
Questions...
Hi started the Intermediate level 3 weeks ago and was wondering when doing the Major Scale Position 1 is it alright to work up and down the neck with this pattern or do i stay on the G. i have the pattern down pretty well can play it in G positon.

Cheers Tony

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2018, 04:28:11 pm »
If you can play it in G you can play it in every key. You're doing the IM course so you should already know
root notes and how they work with scales. So now is the time to start making music with tbe major scale
E shape (position 1)

Offline tony6767

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2018, 10:27:18 am »
Thanks, Iam doing backing tracks in A,C & G sometimes instead of playing 'learning' songs. but want to make sure playing the scale up and down the neck was ok while doing my practice schedule.
Cheers Tony

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2018, 04:51:58 pm »
but want to make sure playing the scale up and down the neck was ok while doing my practice schedule.
Cheers Tony

As long as you're paying attention to what Root note you are starting on. It's the same pattern the only thing
that changes is the name of the scale. So if you want to practice the A major scale then the D or what ever
make sure you know what note you are starting in. This while get the different sounds of each key in your head.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2019, 11:37:18 am »
Hi Guys
I’ve just started learning Major Scale pattern 1 with G as the root note and am slightly confused. In the IM book, Justin shows finger 1 playing F# before finger 2 plays the root G (on the low E string) and then on the high E string he shows finger 4 playing A after the G root note. This is shown on the chord diagram. On the next page he has tabbed the scale but does not show the extra low note or high note. In the website video of the lesson he sometimes adds in the extra notes and sometimes does not. Why the discrepancy? Which is correct?
My question is - do I start and finish on the root note or not and do I add in the extra notes or not? The extra notes are not part of solfège are they?
I don’t want to spend time learning this incorrectly! Thanks guys.

Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X. 
Arrived here Feb 2018. BC completed and now on IM.
Played a Framus 5/50 Archtop 1968 to 1972. (When people took photos using Kodachrome).

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2019, 11:50:46 am »
@ sair

Start and end on the lowest available root note for each pattern you are learning. In this case G on 3rd fret of low E string.
Play it with a downwards picking motion.
When playing the scale pattern ascending always play up to and including the highst available note (not necessarily a root note) contained within the fret-span of the pattern.
When descending always play down to and including the lowest available note (not necessarily a root note) contained within the fret-span of the pattern.
As this pattern 1 (E-shape) spans frets 2-5 for G Major you play the high A note at fret 5 and the low F# note at fret 2.
You play the high A note once before descending again.
You play the low F# note once before ascending again.
If it is the last time playing through the entire pattern, play the low F# once and finish on the low G root note.
The number of notes in all the five patterns is 17 so you should, if you play with strict alternate picking, always finish with a down on the low root note also (having started with a down).

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2019, 01:17:26 pm »
Thanks for that explanation close, much appreciated. I’ve got it! I was failing to see there are two things here - a scale, and a scale pattern that contains a scale and has extra notes.
I’ll get practicing now!

Played a Framus 5/50 Archtop 1968 to 1972. (When people took photos using Kodachrome).

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2019, 03:47:10 pm »
Wow!15 minutes of that and I can hardly wiggle my fingers. 🤪

Offline agent4125

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2019, 11:46:27 am »
Hi there.  I don't have the biggest hands (span from thumb to pinky at full stretch is 20cm).  I'm finding it hard to get my pinky near the fret, especially on the first couple of notes of the scale when going from the first note with the 2nd finger to the 2nd note.  I can do it but my hand really aches from the stretching and my 2nd finger always wants to move past the fret it's on to make it easier to reach for the pinky.  Will this get easier the more I practice it (i.e. fingers will stretch easier) or should I modify the technique?  I can post a video if that helps...

Thanks! 

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2019, 12:15:48 pm »
Agent

It should improve with practice but I would strongly recommend Justin's Finger Stretching Exercise, as it will help open up those fingers.

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/finger-stretching-exercise-te-101

I have relatively small hands and as an oldie they really were tight when I started playing again. This works for sure and I still use it to reprogram my finger spread if I've not played for a few days or weeks.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline agent4125

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2019, 03:35:49 pm »
That's great - I'll try that exercise - looks good!  Thank you.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App