Author Topic: IM-113 • Major Scale Position 1  (Read 49798 times)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
Re: IM-113 • Major Scale Position 1
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2014, 10:11:09 pm »
If you have time to do 9 minutes go for it. Just don't over do it and neglect the other parts of the course.
Most people get bored after 5 minute or only have an hour to practice everything. So if you have the time
it's never to early to learn the major scale.
Learn the intervals of the patterns not just the pattern.

Offline lurch

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 10:39:48 pm »
By intervals of the pattern do you mean the tone, tone semitone intervals or have I misunderstood?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 11:07:36 pm »
Yes that's what I mean. Here's a good site to see the patterns in intervals. If you learn it like this right
from the start when you start learning other scales and arpeggios you will have a big head start.
If you already know where the 3rd is you will also know where the flat 3rd is.  8)  If you learn the patterns
using just dots you'll have to learn the intervals later. The intervals never change in a scale only the names
of the notes depending on which scale your playing.

http://www.discoverguitaronline.com/diagrams/view/1

Offline Asem

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 04:02:50 pm »
Hello all, I noticed that when I play scales I use my pinky and my ring finger as an anchor .
Is this a bad habit??

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 06:34:40 pm »
Hello all, I noticed that when I play scales I use my pinky and my ring finger as an anchor .
Is this a bad habit??

Depends. Later on it might be useful to use the fingers you're not playing to mute strings. However, if you keep practicing it this way you might not be able to do scales without the anchor, which can be problematic if you're doing solos where you need to play open strings and stuff.

I'd say it's a habit you should get out of but others more qualified on here might know more about the downsides.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline Professor Plunk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2014, 05:58:16 pm »
Hey, if i can play the whole scale four times in a row but sometimes make very tiny mistakes, is it still okay to move up to a higher tempo? I'm trying to figure out if I should really aim for perfection (I guess that the answer is yes).

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2014, 06:11:19 pm »
I find using a metronome that you can set to increase the speed is the best way to practice scales.
Once you can do the scale up and down with no mistakes set the metronome at a comfortable speed and have it increase by 2-5 bpm every 7 beats. Go until you make a mistake then start over. It works as a
warm up exercise as well as increasing the speed of your scales. 

Offline Professor Plunk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2014, 04:00:34 pm »
Another question: when you screw something up, do you start over or do you keep playing the scale?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2014, 04:10:41 pm »
Depends on how bad the screw up is. If it's just a flubbed note and doesn't affect the timing of what
I practicing I keep going. If I'm constantly making the mistake I stop, evaluate why I'm screwing up
and figure out how to fix it. If you practice a mistake your are learning the mistake and it will become
a permanent mistake. 

Offline Jawn

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2014, 09:33:33 pm »
Hey everyone, thanks for all the useful advice I've been reading so far. I have a question myself; when I play the major scale I try to use my fingertips as much as possible, but I notice that for some notes I can't help but touch 1 or 2 other strings with that finger. For example when I play the low F# note, my index finger also somewhat touches the A string. Or my pinky touches the A string when I'm playing the low A note. This is mainly an issue on the E and A strings, not so much when I go higher up the scale.

Is this an issue I should work on, to make absolutely sure I don't touch any of the other strings? The only solution I can think of is over-flexing my wrist to make a bigger curve, but it doesn't look very healthy. I can play the scale fine as is, but I want to make sure I don't get into any bad habits. Thanks in advance!

Offline lukeable

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2014, 08:53:48 pm »
Hi Justinguitar!

My question:

on the video you are using a pick, I prefer fingerpicking. Am I assuming right that i pick strings 6,5,4 with my thumb and strings 3,2,1 with fingers 2(index),3 (middlefinger) and 4 (ringfinger)?

thanks for your reply and this AWESOME site!!!

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2014, 10:16:29 pm »
Jawn, it's good to be able to not touch the other strings, so working on that is not a bad thing. It gets easier with time though, so don't let it worry you to the point where you are causing yourself pain, or it is holding up your scale progress too much.

lukeable, that's one way to do it, yes. Fingerstyle is pretty loose though. It's not uncommon to see people use thumb and finger, or two fingers, on the same string when they need two notes played quickly on the same string. It really just depends on the situation, but yeah...the way you're doing is pretty common in songs, so it makes sense to practice that way too.

Offline propsout

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2014, 10:45:59 pm »
Getting pretty good at this, except I struggle to consistently hit the notes assigned to the fourth finger.  I get buzzy sounds because at the lower end of the neck, it's hard to stretch my fingers quite far enough to reach the sweet spot of those frets while still maintaining the "minimum movement" execution.

Any specific tips for addressing this problem (hand/wrist angles, thumb rest points. etc.)??

Cheers,
-Jason

Offline Greyfox

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2014, 10:45:14 pm »
Jason,

This is just my opinion, but you shouldn't worry about applying minimum movement techniques to a new scale until you can hit every note solid and clean on a consistent basis without needing to concentrate.  Minimum movement requires a lot of mental effort, so you should practice it using scales or riffs that you can play without needing to think about the notes.

Fender American Pro Standard Stratocaster HSS
Yamaha Pacifica
Fender Mustang I Amp

Started playing guitar 12/25/13.  Viola/Violin/standing bass 1975-early 90's.

Offline mcclure77

• Good Vibes 0
Lift off problem
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2015, 09:48:27 pm »
Hi all,

I notice that when I start to pick up the pace with scales, the strings ring out when I lift my fingers to move to the next string. I can stop this to some extent by palm muting, but is there another way to stop this?

Thanks!

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2015, 10:17:43 pm »
In general, you use your fretting hand to mute the  higher pitched strings than the one you are playing and the picking hand palm to mute the lower pitched strings.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Nedrin

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2015, 01:44:56 pm »
Are there any easy songs in the 1st pattern of the major scale that I could use to transcribe? I would prefer learning my scale this way

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2015, 02:43:04 pm »
Well, there are many simple songs you could do that with.

But you might have to move the scale shape around to get the melody where it needs to be.

One approach would be to use very simple common melodies (twinkle twinkle little star, chirtmas tunes and stuff like that).  What I have done in the past was to use my old grade school music class recorder book and learn a simple melody and play it inside the different scale shapes.  Requires basic music reading though.

You can move most melodies around the neck and fit them into different scale shapes in different registers.  You might end up having to play it an octave higher or lower to make it work in the shape you are targeting.  So take any melody you already know and move it to the scale shape you want.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline blueguern

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2016, 11:50:22 am »
Hi Guys,
I have got the major scale down OK now. It's time to make music with the scale, improvising. Should I tab out what I do as I go along as I can't remember more than four or five notes. Or should I just move around trying to make short tunes.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2016, 12:00:45 pm »
Forget tabbing what you play - just play and enjoy

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2016, 06:10:23 pm »
Record yourself and learn the the cool stuff you come up with.

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2017, 07:23:59 pm »
Is there a tab on Justin's site for this pattern of the major scale?
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2017, 08:36:57 pm »
Try the lesson page.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-113-MajorScalePattern1.php

There's not a TAB as such. You need to learn the root notes, and how to apply them over the scale.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2017, 02:52:19 pm »
I start G major scale (E Shape) yesterday and having fun. I have a question before I develop a bad habit. Fingers should remain in their previous position after picking notes, or just pick the notes and slightly lift them? In the video, Justin plays both ways.

I can stretch my fingers but I get pain in my arm's muscle and wrist after a while. I'm sure by time things will become normal. What is better?

Offline davebell

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2017, 07:01:21 pm »
 Hi there - new user - Playing for quite a while but never had patience to try for the next level - so I have the Book and it looks like it is going to be very useful.  I want to understand and be comfortable with Scale Patterns - So I am looking at P18/19 at the G major Scale - My question is - is it a bad idea to use ring finger instead of small finger when practising this scale.  My little finger feels quite awkward on the fretboard apart from some basic hammer ons on the thin e string. 

Thanks for reading this - I hope you understand were I'm coming from with this question

Dave Bell

Get The Forum As A Mobile App