Author Topic: IM-111 • E Shape Barre Chord Grip (Maj and Min)  (Read 38818 times)

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
Re: IM-111 • E Shape Barre Chord Grip (Maj and Min)
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »
I'm in the IM with you. Two things:

1. Yes, the muscle needs to get stronger. When I first started 5 minutes of bar chord practice seemed like torture. I've gotten stronger. Think weeks and months, not days.

2. As you get more experience you'll find you need to apply less pressure and therefore won't tire out the muscle so quickly.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline jtbrown1

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 10:11:05 pm »
I'm in the IM with you. Two things:

1. Yes, the muscle needs to get stronger. When I first started 5 minutes of bar chord practice seemed like torture. I've gotten stronger. Think weeks and months, not days.

2. As you get more experience you'll find you need to apply less pressure and therefore won't tire out the muscle so quickly.
I'm very glad to hear your reply, especially number 2. I notice that when I'm first learning a new song, even with regular chords I find myself pressing down really hard. Whereas once the song is committed to memory I don't press anywhere near as hard.

I'll keep working on my barre chords and strengthen my hands over the next few weeks.

What I found funny about this is I was watching a video of Corinne Bailey Rae playing songs with her acoustic. If you know her, she's a very slight, small woman. Yet she was having no trouble on her acoustic, playing nothing but barre chords. I'm saying to myself, "if she can do it, surely I can get past the pain." Somewhat sexist, I know. But I think of it as motivation.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2016, 10:54:53 pm »
I think you'll find a couple of people on here mentioned that part of the barre chord technique is about realising that it's less about finger strength and more about arm strength. So when you've got the barre finger down use your arm to pull the guitar towards you slightly. It is something I find naturally happening more and more now and I'm not finding I get the aching thumb/finger as much as I used to. I think Sweed77 posted a good link to an article on this some time ago. It may be useful.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 11:45:37 am »
There is an article from a guitar tutor and how he noticed a young girl he was teaching had no problem and realised it was mostly about arm strength. I can't remember the name though, but it's been linked to a few times.

Try playing Barre's without using your thumb on the back of the neck to really exaggerate the technique. I can just about manage it, but I find I need my thumb as an anchor to make rolling my index finger over easier.

Offline yeax

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2016, 03:57:48 pm »
Hi, I have a question here.

I've been playing the barre chords for around 1-2 months now. It sounds alright, I can barre the strings well, but what I've found out recently is, that when I lay down my index finger to bar the strings 1, 2 and 6, I lay it right next to the fret and when I do so, the skin/flesh at the bottom of my index fingers kind of rolls over the fret a bit, especially the low E string. Because of this the thinnest string doesn't sound out clear but makes the sound that you get when u get too close to the fret (not muted though).

I watched some pictures of people doing the E shape chords and it seems that many of those also had the bottom of the index finger way too close to the fret (rolled over it).

Should I try to move my index finger away from the fret to get the low E string sounding clean as well? Has anyone had the same problem? Thanks a lot.

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2017, 11:49:01 am »
Hello! I have been working a lot on the E-shape bar chords and overall they work pretty good. Still some more work to do to be able to change between open chords and bar chords quick enough to use them in songs, but i'm happy with the progress.

One problem I have though is bar chords above 6th fret (B and up), no matter how I try I can't really get these to ring out as they should. 1st and 2nd strings are usually dead. 6th fret (A#) works fine, but 7th (B) and up is the problem.

I find this a bit odd, since it is supposed to be harder to do bar chords on 1st-3rd fret. I don't have any problems with these.

Anyone who have the same experience with difficulties on the higher frets? Any idea what to do?
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 12:43:12 pm »
Hello! I have been working a lot on the E-shape bar chords and overall they work pretty good. Still some more work to do to be able to change between open chords and bar chords quick enough to use them in songs, but i'm happy with the progress.

One problem I have though is bar chords above 6th fret (B and up), no matter how I try I can't really get these to ring out as they should. 1st and 2nd strings are usually dead. 6th fret (A#) works fine, but 7th (B) and up is the problem.

I find this a bit odd, since it is supposed to be harder to do bar chords on 1st-3rd fret. I don't have any problems with these.

Anyone who have the same experience with difficulties on the higher frets? Any idea what to do?

It could be that your guitar is in need of a setup. Can you check if your guitar neck has too much front bow? Push down the 6th string (low E) at the 1st fret and at the 14th fret simultanously and check the space from the string to the fret in the middle of your hands. If you can fit a business card between the fret wire and the string it is ok.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 12:33:42 pm »
Thanks Jesper!

I am not sure I understand though. I did the test and a credit card for sure does not fit between the fret wire and the string at the 7th fret. The action is much lower than that. Should I try to measure the distance? What would be the ideal distance roughly?
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 12:38:40 pm »
A credit card is probably too thick for this. Try a business card instead.
For adjustments and measurements take a look at this (or numerous other sources)
http://www.guitarplayer.com/lessons/1014/the-12-step-guide-to-electric-and-acoustic-guitar-setup/53887

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2017, 04:05:43 pm »
If you hold the string down at the 1st and 14th fret and tap on the low e string on actual 7th fret wire there should be a tiny movement, if there is no movement then the truss rod needs to be tightened. This works for me anyway.

Offline Loefgren

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2017, 09:46:38 am »
I have checked the guitar and I think it's good. My father who is a pretty good guitarist have no problem playing bar chords on it at 7th fret. I think its all down to technique. When i move further up the neck, frets get smaller which makes it more difficult for me hold down the bar and fretting the other strings simultaneously.

I recently changed strings and I feel it made it a little easier. I'll just have to keep on practice bar chords.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline BCDC

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2018, 04:56:30 pm »
Hi folks. I posted this link on a different thread, but I think it is more suitable here. Has anyone seen or tried this method of playing barre chords.

http://www.guitarmetal.com/barre-chords-made-easy/

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline sdd56

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2018, 08:38:30 pm »
@BCDC - I would agree totally with what he is saying about putting the thumb further towards the body of the guitar.

I spent weeks trying to squeeze the barre down, with my thumb either behind the index, or pointing towards the headstock. All I got was a sore thumb joint. Justin doesn't seem to mention thumb position in his barre lessons, but I'm sure a few videos on YouTube show a "pinch" between index and thumb.

Moving my thumb behind finger 2 was a revelation. I'm not sure whether I got the idea from a YouTube video, or possibly it was mentioned in the very long "dreaded F Chord" thread. Almost immediately I was able to form good chords all the way up to F on my electric, with very little pressure needed.  In effect you are forming a lever, with the force coming from the arm, not your thumb.

The other benefit is (for me) - with thumb either behind finger 1 or (worse) pointing up towards the headstock, my fingers 2,3,4 tended to collapse towards my index, which as Justin says, is bad. With thumb behind finger 2, this does not happen.

Acoustic is harder of course but I'm getting there. Now all I need to do is learn to change to other chords at a decent speed!
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 8.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7
Electric: Yamaha ERG121, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline plywood

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2018, 09:54:40 am »
I came here to post the problems I have been having, and they are almost the exact same problems that everyone else has already mentioned! I guess the only solution is practice, practice, practice.

Right now I'm using Creep as my barre workout. I can do G no problem, B is ok-ish, C is quite flakey and Cm is mostly bad. I use the thumb-behind-2nd-finger approach, using my arm to "pivot" my index finger into the fretboard, but it gets tougher and cramped up past the 6th fret. 5 minutes ends in an aching hand at the moment. On electric it is slightly better, but not much.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2018, 05:22:05 pm »
Hi. I have an issue playing the B Barre and higher up on the neck. My left hand and arm gets close to my body and everything gets cramped up such that i loose quality on  the barre. The curve of the guitar body is over my right leg. It feels like i need alonger guitar neck. Any suggestions on how to address this.?
Tx

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App