Author Topic: IM-111 • E Shape Barre Chord Grip (Maj and Min)  (Read 41422 times)

Offline Hypnagogist

• Good Vibes 0
Re: IM-111 • E Shape Barre Chord Grip (Maj and Min)
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 03:50:59 pm »
Thanks for the video, there's some useful advice in there.

If i try to move move my finger up so that the crease doesn't fall on the B string anymore, then it falls on the G string. :-\ I can't find a way to move it just between the two strings.

I wonder if I should just keep practicing my barre chords like I do (second picture) even though the B string still buzzes a little. Will it stop buzzing after some time?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 05:21:06 pm »
Well, in the video he explains that the crease thing is irrelevant as long as you straighten the index finger enough.
The B string will stop buzzing after a while, but you should keep practicing to get it right!

\m/ rock on \m/
end Jesper
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Hypnagogist

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 05:11:19 pm »
What about my thumb position. Is it fine on the 2nd picture?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 05:34:31 pm »

What about my thumb position. Is it fine on the 2nd picture?

I tried to emulate your thumb position and it feels wrong to me. I feel a strain just above the wrist.
Here is a picture of my grip.

\m/ rock on \m/
end Jesper
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Subway eat fresh

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 07:58:06 pm »
How come every time I play a barre Chord the 6th string almost never rings out but all the other strings do.

Any advice?

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 08:02:09 pm »
Sub

Increase the pressure of the tip of your index finger to ensure its cleanly fretting the 6th. Practice barring with just the one finger to get a feel for just the right amount of pressure.

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Subway eat fresh

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 08:05:42 pm »
Sub

Increase the pressure of the tip of your index finger to ensure its cleanly fretting the 6th. Practice barring with just the one finger to get a feel for just the right amount of pressure.

Toby
 8)
Thx man, that was quick lol.

Offline blueguern

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 09:55:10 pm »
Hi Guys,
Have been doing my barre chords for a week or two now. With my acoustic they are coming along, with my electric they are great. My thinking is carry on with the course using electric in order to progress and also give some fifteen minutes a day practice on my acoustic in order to get that right. Is that OK or should I just concentrate on my acoustic. Cheers

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 11:31:42 pm »
I would use the acoustic to build up strength, say 50/50.  Even days acoustic odd days electric.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline blueguern

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 11:00:37 am »
Cheers mate, good advice.

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 09:26:23 am »
The Maj Barre Chords are sounding great. Every string but I have a huge problem with he min. The G string is the problem. Doesn't matter how hard I press I don't get a sound out of it. Even when I move the finger up or down. I don't find the position.

Offline Jokurr

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 10:21:38 pm »
I struggle with the G string as well.

The problem for me doesn't seem to have anything to do with the barre... it's my pinky finger, it's always muting the G string. It's definitely more of a problem on the minor shape but sometimes on the major shape as well.

Also I don't seem to have a problem if I'm low down on the fret board, ie playing an F minor chord is not a problem, but playing something like a D minor chord at the 10th fret is more or less impossible. My hand feels like it's getting squished and my pinky ends up muting the G string. Basically the higher up the fret board the worse it gets. I'm really trying to arch my pinky but it's tough.

Anyone else have this problem and have any tips for it?

Offline Tobsen

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 12:08:06 pm »
@ Jokuur

Try to get your palm more parallel to the neck. This should improve the angle of your pinky and avoid muting.

Offline Specterer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 01:52:50 pm »
I've been practicing the guitar for 3 weeks now, I thought that I couldn't nail those bar chords because of my lack of strength.

but when I took a look at my finger, I noticed that my finger gets fatter the lower it is from the tip.

So, what I did was including how Justin said that need to roll it sideways, also slide it upwards and just like that, I nailed my bar chords in less than an hour trying!!

and you don't even that much strength if you slide your barre finger upwards. your flesh automatically presses those strings

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!

Offline jtbrown1

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 06:29:23 pm »
Hi guys,

Officially completed the BC (feel confident in everything I learned, and have a repertoire of about 30 songs I can play through, though most are not memorized I can refer quickly to some notes I kept to remind me of the specific techniques for each song). Note moving onto the IM course and starting my barre chords.

I can already tell I'm going to have issues in the meat between my thumb and first finger. That area is where I get tired and feel like I have to stop and rest after 5 or 10 minutes of constant barres.

I noticed no one else has mentioned this. Any solutions? Or is this just a muscle that's weak and needs to be strengthened over the next several weeks?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App