Author Topic: IM-143 • Using The Blues Scales  (Read 4381 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
IM-143 • Using The Blues Scales
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:52:50 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:17:50 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline ferret

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: IM-143 • Using The Blues Scales
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 07:21:53 am »
There is something I do not understand about the Hybrid scale. In Key of A, the note B is added (2nd degree) on string e, 7th fret. Why the same note B on string E is not added? It's the same note.

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 01:36:52 pm »
Blues Hybrid Scale

You can see here that I have added in a couple of notes on the 1st and 2nd strings, but not the others. You can also play the added notes other places (maybe you might like to find them?) 

Sent from my A1601 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 05:32:44 pm »
There is something I do not understand about the Hybrid scale. In Key of A, the note B is added (2nd degree) on string e, 7th fret. Why the same note B on string E is not added? It's the same note.

Because you usually don't  play lead guitar on the 6th string. You can if you want to.
There are no rules saying you can't.
The main use of the hybrid scale is on the G B e strings.

Offline ferret

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 07:01:38 am »
Because you usually don't  play lead guitar on the 6th string. You can if you want to.
There are no rules saying you can't.
The main use of the hybrid scale is on the G B e strings.
by that logic,  why bother with scale notes on E, A and D strings at all? ;-) I see your point and of course agree but for the sake of completeness, these note(s) should be depicted on the diagram. Not that it changes anything but I thought there was maybe some hidden reason I could not see.

Offline ferret

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 07:02:47 am »
Blues Hybrid Scale

You can see here that I have added in a couple of notes on the 1st and 2nd strings, but not the others. You can also play the added notes other places (maybe you might like to find them?)

I missed that sentence, thanks. Makes sense mow :-)

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 09:47:20 am »
I missed that sentence, thanks. Makes sense mow :-)
No worries

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline JerryBels

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 08:31:50 am »
Hi, I have a theory question about this :)

So, in the key of Am, the notes are the same as in the key of C - sharps and flats out the window. So playing the A minor pentatonic, I thought that notes that could sound good with it would be the other ones in the key of Am? So adding the B on the first string seems legit, but adding the F# on the second string should NOT sound good, right? After all F# is from the A major scale. And adding F should be okay, right? Well, news : F# sounds good, F doesn't. Also, we add the "blue note", the tritone, and it sounds good as well - very good actually, even so it's a half step away from two notes of the scale.

Is there a way to understand this, or should I just take it as a try and accept it?

Thanks ahead!

Offline adi_mrok

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 12:36:11 pm »
Minor keys are bit more tricky as you can play around with different scales - F# sounds good if you're playing minor melodic or dorian mode over Am backing track and F sounds good while you play minor natural. Have a look at music theory 5.3 and it should help you a bit to understand more relations between notes in minor. But remember all goes down to how it sounds in your ear :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline JerryBels

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 01:50:20 pm »
Hum... I guess I will have to keep learning theory if I want to understand this then. Thanks!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App