Author Topic: How did sprains and mallet finger injuries affect your guitar playing?  (Read 9976 times)

Offline xxxneoxxx

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
I had the ring finger of my left hand badly injured about a month ago when I was playing football (goalie). It was so painful and also annoying because it's the finger I use the most, I'd say.

The first week, it was useless. I couldn't press chords properly. Not even dream about doing slides, bendings, etc. Absolutely useless, I felt a lot of pain cause my finger had an oedema and it was also quite stiff, I could barely move it.

I treated that with ice, anti-inflammatory drugs during that week. Then I went to a doctor to have it checked. And to cut a long story short, he told me it was a finger sprain.

It's been about 6 weeks of dealing with this thing. Recovery is quite slow as the doctor had warned me. I mustn't make the effort of playing if my finger isn't fully recovered.

Every week I tried to play stuff, to see how this thing evolved. At the beginning, it was so frustrating. Then slowly, I could frer chords. Then do simple soloing. Now I can do some sliding and bending, but not too strong cause I don't want to hurt my finger.

I've been told to do flection and stretching excercises. Slowly and with some patience my finger will regain strength and pain will be gone forever. Although it was really bad at first, now it feels like it's healing properly.

I can play some stuff. Chords, some riffs, but not for long cause I start to feel a little tension in my finger. It's much less than last week, but still, I feel it's not quite the same yet.

My question is:

Have you ever had to suffer anything like this?

If so, what else could I do to make my finger heal faster?

Thank you very much in advance.

bigoli

Re: How did sprains and mallet finger injuries affect your guitar playing?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 05:35:43 am »
Do you have a mallet finger? I had a mallet finger last year, it was very annoying, They take about 5 weeks to heal but only If its in a permanent finger cast. My finger slipped out of the cast at week 4 while asleep and I woke up back at square 1, and it took another 4-5 weeks of recovery. It didnt affect my guitar playing as I didnt play guitar then, but it definitely hasn't had any negative lasting effects.

Offline xxxneoxxx

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 05:53:07 am »
Have a look at this wonderful article I found this afternoon.
http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/11178350/sprained-finger-finger-sprain-physioadvisor.htm

That seems to be the problem with me. I'm on the fifth week now. I can now play some stuff. Not 100% but, quite close to my full performance.

It seems like my injure is healing properly. It looks like it'll take a week or two to be in perfect condition.

Thanks for your comment.

Fraser

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:55:57 pm »
Remember the old saying: "Pain is a good thing, it's your body's way of telling you that things are not as they should be!!"

If you're practising, and your finger begins to hurt - STOP! It will heal in its' own good time - but not if you try to force it, or use it before it's healed.

Offline justaguy

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 04:07:46 am »
I injured a tendon last week and I have to use a splint on the middle finger of my fret hand for six weeks. I got a “mallet finger”.

I won’t be able to practice for some weeks but it was especially frustrating during this first weekend - I had free time and I couldn’t spend it practicing!

I’m on my second week with the splint, and during today’s appointment with the hand doctor, after a couple of x-rays, I got the good news: he said that my recovery is going really well. I was afraid to ask about playing guitar, but he said that not only I will play again, but practicing will have an important role on my recovery!

I’m really happy with the good news and I wanted to share. But more important: if you are in the same situation, then 1) seek proper professional care right away – this is serious and you may avoid a surgery with a simple splint, and 2) be patient – the recovery is slow, but possible.

For now, I think I’ll just use this “extra time” to dedicate myself to the aural trainings.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:22:35 am »
Back when I played basketball I used to jam my fingers all the time, and couldn't really play at all for some stretches. It's tough, but it will allow you to work on other things like theory or aural training.

The only way to make it heal more quickly is more rest, unfortunately. Over-doing it is just going to prolong the process, so take it slow and don't try to rush it!

Offline justaguy

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 04:47:16 pm »
Since I couldn't find much feedback from someone recovering from a mallet finger, if you have the same condition, I just want to let you know that you'll be fine!

The 6th week after the "accident" has been really good. I removed the splint last week (sooner then expected due to the good heading of the tendon), and started the physio one week after that. I can see the progress everyday, and after finishing the 5th physio session (5 more to go, before the next appointment), I'm now able to play again any chord I already knew! The D chord is still king of strange, since I have to fully bend the finger that was immobilized, but I think it is just a matter of time and practice now.

I barely could move the middle finger one week ago. It is still weaker then it was before, but scales and chord change exercises are really helping! Even if excited with the quick healing, I know I can’t push it too hard now and I have take my time to rest, as mike42D said.

Cheers!

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 06:53:16 pm »
D'oh!

Sometimes you miss these threads..... then realise long after the fact that you could have had some input...... But anyway....... albeit a little belatedly.....

'Mallet Finger' ......... I never caught on at first, 'cos being the stickler I am for literal descriptions, what I have experience of is an 'Avulsion of the extensor tendon at the distal phalanx of the first finger on the right hand' .....

....... Ok ....... I've suffered a Mallet Finger  ;D

I was playing in goal, warming up for a game..... and there was a young lad on the pitch taking shots; he was only about ten or so. He scuffed on and the ball came rolling along the ground towards me at about two inches per hour, so I leaned down and simply pushed it back out to him. I felt a sharp pain in my finger, said 'ow' and sucked it for a second, then thought no more of it, puting it down to the cold (it was only a few degrees C). It was only later that I realised that tehe tip of my finger was pointing 90 degrees away from the rest of it.

Strange, really. Some of the shots I've stopped and the one that does that is a simple roll back.

Anyway........ There's nothing for it except the splint for six weeks or so until the tendon reattaches; luckily, mine was the right hand. Never stopped me strumming and I could always work around it for anything else. Even so...... It's a fairly common injury and a pretty predictable healing cycle so, any complications aside, all you have to do is let them heal, keep your splint on and, once it's off, take it easy for a couple of weeks until the tendons are back to strength.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App