Author Topic: Singing 101  (Read 60755 times)

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: Singing 101
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2013, 08:20:36 am »
As I understand it, an open vowel is long form and closed is short. For example, consider the difference between "able and attack" separate out the vowel and you should hear one as "ay" and the other as "a". Not really much choice in it though so I don't get the second part of the question :/

I would take relaxed phonation to mean "effortless or unforced". You'll tend to see the tension in the face and neck of a singer when it's not working.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Hollywood

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 43
    • Official Website
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2013, 02:12:15 am »
Yeah, I don't know - I was just told that this singer tends to use open vowels or that singer uses closed vowels.  But that really doesn't make sense to me.  I had asked about getting a similar sound as another singer, and was told that that person generally uses closed vowels and to use those if they work for me.   ???

But the relaxed thing makes sense.  So thank you.  :)
Frontwoman of alt-rock band Lighting Matches - debut album "Against The Flame"
www.LightingMatchesMusic.com
www.Facebook.com/LightingMatchesMusic

Debut solo EP "Destination Sunday" (Rachel White)

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2013, 09:02:34 am »
Whoever gave you the advice would need to clarify it for you, vocal terminology can mean many things to different people.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2017, 10:10:59 am »
What do you guys think of Ken Tamplin or Brett Manning? They are awfully expensive, and Ken at least seems to have a very unethical marketing campaign with shills posting everywhere about how great his course is.

I just want a basic how to improve your singing. I would like to work on it an hour each day. I can already sing and I sing along with the guitar, but I would like to get better, but I can't find a set routine for getting started which is kind of frustrating.

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2017, 11:54:16 am »
I don't mean to hijack your question, @willferral, just wanted to tack on another question while this topic was up:

can anyone enlighten me on how head voice versus chest voice is supposed to sound or feel? I've sung a little in an informal choir and have heard the terms used. But I don't fully understand what they mean and I can't feel any clear transition myself like I hear people talking about.

At the lowest notes that I can sing cleanly I hear a lot of rumbling or buzz, that gradually disappears as I go higher. Above the highest notes I can sing I suddenly peter out, it's like my throat just closes up. Somewhere in the middle is a range where it's easier to sing loudly. That's all that I can sense...
BC Stage 8 started January 2018
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2017, 12:53:27 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnX9DlAQbnc

=========

Instead of looking "how to sing" on Youtube... search for Vocal Coach you will get a lot different set of vids to watch.
Gone

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2017, 05:50:57 pm »
Thank you, TB, that was a good vid. I think I understand the mechanics now. I keep expecting to feel the difference between the two as a clear shift, maybe it's just not that clear.
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2017, 02:06:10 pm »
Most new singers don't generate enough power to really 'feel it'. Or it's so mild it kinda goes un-noticed. The next time you yawn try doing that vocalizing exercise or sing a note in your head and you will probably feel your head vibrate or resonate. Then try to drop down through to your chest voice.

It will probably break where the two meet but at least you might get to actually 'feel' the resonances.

Then you have a reference. It's sort of like not being able to play a flute. Most people can't generate the controlled power to make it sound a note so it just sounds like wind.

You kinda need to do it like it's a paying job and not something you expect to be easy.But that yawning trick can work, as your airways are naturally open and your voice will naturally project across a room.

People that can really sing will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck with their power and that's basically what you are trying to emulate.

There are a ton more videos on YT though and you just have to take little snippets from each one and put it all together. Most of them are selling something so they all try to cover a little something special but never give the farm away.

This guy seems to have some good lessons....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKOlgdiqarM
Gone

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2017, 07:24:15 am »
Oh I have plenty volume, in choir I'm usually told to dial it down a little :-D But I'm not accustomed to listening closely to the mechanics of my own voice alone, a choir masks a lot of things. This is very interesting stuff. I went for a session with a new "real" choir yesterday (as in, one that actually practices every week, all year round), and the director was a lot more professional about finding and focussing different sounds. She also did the yawning thing.

Sent fra min C6903 via Tapatalk

Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini

Offline RyanPlaysGuitar

• Good Vibes 2
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2020, 06:22:58 pm »
Ive been using Ken Tamplins course for about 6 months. It is actually pretty good but I had to approch it the same way I apporach learning the guitar. Time and practice.

Offline Aidan32

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2021, 09:38:12 pm »
Ive just started using 30 day singer. Fairly impressed so far, looks well structured and professional.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App