Author Topic: Guitar Challenge VII - Justin's 'Solo Blues Guitar' Study Pieces  (Read 12575 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Guitar Challenge VII - Justin's 'Solo Blues Guitar' Study Pieces
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 06:27:10 am »
Good one clambone, nice and smooth and cool.
😎

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 07:15:13 am »
Nice work Clambone. In my opinion it could use a bit more flow moving from note to note but that'll come eventually. It sounded good though.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Clambone56

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 08:31:45 am »
Thanks for the feedback close2u and Joerfe.  Will work on the flow but swear it goes better when that little red light isn't on! Looking forward to the next one "Contrary Blues" although from other comments on this site it might be the hardest on the 2nd DVD. Have you had a go at it?
Started guitar October 2012
Plays: a Breedlove Solo Concert
and a Yamaha Pacifica 112 with a Yamaha practice amp

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2016, 11:21:42 am »
That red light throws a lot of people! I like to think that after 3 years of learning the guitar I finally am somewhat ok with recording myself. I think the breakthrough came after I joined a band.
- The Contrary Blues is great. I do not think I ever made a recording of it but I play it sometimes just for fun. It is the hardest comparing to the ones you already went through but take it slow and make sure you get each bar right then you'll be fine.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.

Offline Clambone56

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2016, 07:14:53 pm »
Thanks Joerfe for the advice. Would be interested to see a recording of Contrary Blues if you ever get round to it! I am finding the intro really hard funnily enough (pinkie struggling) so have gone on to the main body of the piece. Justin says at one stage that one can mix and match the intros to a lot of these solo blues pieces so maybe it will be a frankenblues. The main part is finnicky but all doable so hopefully will have something to record soonish. I am finding these DVD lessons a great way of stretching and pushing ones playing.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2016, 09:33:33 am »
Yeah, the pinkie gets a good workout. One of the benefits from playing acoustic blues
I'm not sure I'll get around to recording it again but I'll keep it in mind.
/Jesper

Offline Clambone56

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2016, 03:00:04 am »
Contrary Blues proved to be the hardest yet of the Solo Blues I've tried and in fact I still can't do the intro smoothly and given my pinkie's dislike for the first bar, second triplet at fret 7 it may never happen...but the main part is a lot of fun to play.

https://youtu.be/Xi_OJWsRBH4

The hardest part for me was the G13 in bar 10 and the ending where I had to switch the fingering around quite a bit before finding one that I liked (that pinkie again...)

Raggy Island Blues next...any tips gratefully received!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App