Author Topic: Nothing Else Matters  (Read 6351 times)

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
Nothing Else Matters
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:36:52 am »
I must admit that after those great videos posted here recently I feel a bit ashamed showing out that of my own. My performance is very imperfect (especially when the "record" button, which has the magic power of speeding up or paralyzing my fingers, is on ;)) but anyway, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2FqqcjZCVM

It's been difficult song to learn (actually I'm still learning it) but it gives so much pleasure playing it! I hope to improve and record some better version later on, but for now it is how it is. Any comments more than welcomed, as always. 

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." A. de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
Re: Nothing Else Matters
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 05:52:35 pm »
i think it was very decent :) with some minor mistakes but i guess you know yourself what you played wrong, it's only the matter of more practise and relax (i also have problem with camera-stres-gen ;))

however i would like to see the woman and the rain! :D

btw, what's that sound in the background? it's like typping or something...
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 06:07:31 pm »
Thanks Loco!
I guess many of us here has the camera stress (I've seen at least a few similar opinions on this forum so far) and it is something that I just have to come to terms with, at least for now... I can play this song non-stop over and over gain for an hour or so really relaxed and much more decently, but when the recording is on - forget about it ;D

This something in the background is I have no idea what. It's something in my laptop. I was recording using internal laptop microphone so the quality isn't the best.

...and the rain women is no one else than just a woman which likes the rain ;)
"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." A. de Saint-Exupéry

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:09:42 pm »
I liked it, sounded really nice! I think I heard some thrills somewhere in the middle of the playing, very well done! I tried doing that a little while ago, its not as easy as it seems!
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:48:18 pm »
Thanks Marcus! I really love this tune. I'd like to be able to play freely the whole song one day. It moves my emotions so much.
The song is not easy for sure, but surely not for you - I watched your videos and it seems any song can't be difficult for you to play  ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:45:50 am by rainwoman »

jase67

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:58:39 pm »
Very well done, how long have you been working on it?

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 12:28:50 am »
Really cleanly played.  the only parts that needed improvement were the few points where you needed just a little longer to form the chord shape.  But that will disappear pretty soon as you keep on playing it ;).  Interlude solo and then main solo next ;) and listening to how nicely you played the rest then you should be able to handle both of those too.

Nice job
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:44:13 am »
@Jase
Thank you! :)
About how long I've been playing it - difficult to say because I had a few breaks like vacation or most recently when learning other songs. Anyway, it took me a while. I think I started somehow before summer holidays. I was struggling mostly with the hammer on/flick of lick (is it called a "lick"  ???) at the start of the song. I had a problem with accenting appropriate notes while playing it. Then it took me a while to get smooth with another hummer change, the one just before harmonics (still not always can hit appropriate string) - in both cases Justin's "hummer on/flick of" exercise was very helpful. It also took me a while to built up finger strength to handle barre chords.

@DeadlyChicken
Thanks a lot for a good word, too :) You all are much less critical than I am when listening to my own performance ;)
It's really nice to hear these positive opinions - that's very encouraging!

Interlude solo and then main solo next ;)

That's my plan! ;D But first I need too buy an electric guitar (that's my my plan, too!).

Offline ErimSee

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
  • Make my day
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:11:44 pm »
good plan, rainwoman. keep it up.

I like your cover. good playing and  only a few mistakes. the hammer ons and flick offs do work. I hear lots of parts that come from the heart.

I hoped to hear some singing too.

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 04:33:32 pm »
Thanks ErimSee! And you are right, it comes directly from my heart. I'm repeating myself now, but this song really moves me inside much more than any other. I don't really know why, what is so special in the melody... 

I hoped to hear some singing too.

Believe me, you don't want to  ;D

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 09:57:32 pm »
You all are much less critical than I am when listening to my own performance ;)
It's really nice to hear these positive opinions - that's very encouraging!
I think we're all overly critical of our own recordings. I know i am and can relate to this a great deal. I've sat and played something a million times without recording, then when i do record, i think "oh bliemy, that's horrible" and try it over and over and over and over. Until i eventually give up and stop recording again hehe.

I enjoyed listening to that though. My only gripe was the hiss in the background from the poor quality mic. Aside from that, you played it better than i could. I've never attempted to even try that one. Not sure i could without sounding like nails running down a chalkboard  :o

As for the singing, you might be surprised, you might not like your voice, but i think everyone should at least post one recording with them singing too. There's only two ways it'll go - you'll either be asked not to post vocal accompaniment again, or you'll be asked for more. Either way, it'll be done in a decent and respectable way. :)

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 11:14:47 pm »
I've sat and played something a million times without recording, then when i do record, i think "oh bliemy, that's horrible" and try it over and over and over and over. Until i eventually give up and stop recording again hehe.
How well I do know what you are talking about...   ;D

I enjoyed listening to that though. My only gripe was the hiss in the background from the poor quality mic. Aside from that, you played it better than i could. I've never attempted to even try that one. Not sure i could without sounding like nails running down a chalkboard  :o
I'm glad you liked it. As for your attempt (or its lack) - you should try if you like the song. Justin made a great lesson. I'd been struggling with some other lessons for a while before discovered that he did also that one.

As for the singing, you might be surprised, you might not like your voice, but i think everyone should at least post one recording with them singing too. There's only two ways it'll go - you'll either be asked not to post vocal accompaniment again, or you'll be asked for more. Either way, it'll be done in a decent and respectable way. :)
As for the singing, I love singing! ...but it's really nothing that anyone else would like to listen to  ;D. I'm not just modest, I really can't sing.
And of course my voice... They say we perceive our own voice differently than other people do because we hear it from inside. But then when the voice is recorded we are able to hear it the same way as other people. I used to like my voice but after I did some signing record, I'm really terrified - do my voice sounds so awfully to the others?!  :'(

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 12:28:18 am »
I've sat and played something a million times without recording, then when i do record, i think "oh bliemy, that's horrible" and try it over and over and over and over. Until i eventually give up and stop recording again hehe.
How well I do know what you are talking about...   ;D

I'm glad you liked it. As for your attempt (or its lack) - you should try if you like the song. Justin made a great lesson. I'd been struggling with some other lessons for a while before discovered that he did also that one.

As for the singing, I love singing! ...but it's really nothing that anyone else would like to listen to  ;D. I'm not just modest, I really can't sing.
And of course my voice... They say we perceive our own voice differently than other people do because we hear it from inside. But then when the voice is recorded we are able to hear it the same way as other people. I used to like my voice but after I did some signing record, I'm really terrified - do my voice sounds so awfully to the others?!  :'(

Well, as far as your voice goes. See that's the thing. It doesn't sound so terrible to others, as that's what everyone hears. So it's only you who thinks it sounds terrible when you hear your voice on a recording.

Katja wouldn't sing first of all, and she sent me a pm with a recording of her singing, and i thought it was ace. So she posted it and it was well received.

I'm always curious as to how people sound when they sing, so if you're really not brave enough to post here. a pm would work. i'd be happy to be the guinea pig

Offline ErimSee

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
  • Make my day
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 10:33:40 am »
My videos prove that I can´t sing. The lyrics are mostly like the original, but the melody is some creativ work near the notes. And that doesnt bother me at all.
I know a few people who think that they can sing but they can´t. And they shouldn´t sing when somebody listens. But most of the people have a nice voice and can do a good job with the right song. It is like playing guitar. You don´t have to be perfect to play a song.

Offline rainwoman

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 05:45:13 pm »
... i'd be happy to be the guinea pig

Oh no! I am against experiments on animals ...and on humans, too!  ;D.

I remember that talk with Katja and her needless concerns - she has a great voice and she can sing. I cannot. Besides the voice itself I'm just lacking singing technique. But maybe indeed I will do some record, just for a curiosity, to see how it is perceived by other people and by me myself, as well, when getting some distance.
Btw, I'm also always curious as to how people sound, not even singing, but just a voice behind a person.

@ErimSee
That's a good philosophy! :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App