Author Topic: buying a laptop  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
buying a laptop
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:36:47 pm »
i'm going to buy a laptop soon and i'm totally confused, so it would be cool if you had any advise :) well, let's go straight to the facts

max price: about 760 euro (i'm not sure about this, cause prices are different in different countries, so just write me models and i will check how much they cost here)

screen size: 15-17" (preferably ~15" with high resolution)

keyboard: numpad would be cool, but more importantly the arrow keys have to be well shaped, i mean i saw laptops where they were so tiny and useless, so i want full sized arrow keys

screen surface: preferably mat, generally i don't want to see the dam light reflexes

CPU and graphics: as good as budget allows
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

Offline Phalanx

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: buying a laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:41:47 pm »
I recently got a new laptop, which has been really great and fits you budget. Its an Asus K52JB-SX133V which is "only" €630,- or something like that. Has gotten some really great reviews and I seriously like it.

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 09:18:19 pm »
i heard that asus recently became worse than it used to be... but i don't know, actually all main brands positions got mixed up and i think i can't rely on the brand name anymore, and on the other hand some less popular brands might be more decent now as well

anyway, i'm thinking about Toshiba Satellite L650-108, the only disadvantage i've found so far is the stupid glass surface (it looks like the majority of all laptops have such screen)

Offline Phalanx

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:27:50 pm »
You are probably confusing Asus and Acer. You definitely don't want an Acer, under any circumstances. Even if they give you one for free just refuse it. You would be very lucky if that laptop survived two weeks.

And about the brands: every brand has it's ups and downs. A Vaio laptop often has annoying peeping noises that can't be solved.

The Toshiba actually looks pretty good. You should try it in a local store and see if you like it. :)

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:36:38 pm »
i did mean asus :)

and the acer seems to be cheap and pumped with "top" hardware, but indeed i heard they tend to crash

i think that the samsung is becoming a very decent brand recently, but i haven't found an interesting model yet

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:07:58 am »
I've got four Acer scrappers here if you want a reason to not buy from them. The motherboards have the highest failure rate I've seen in a particular brand.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App