Author Topic: PC Build questions  (Read 3816 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: PC Build questions
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 10:30:02 pm »
Although i love coolermaster's cases, i never had much luck with their PSU's.
Blew up 2 over 4 months, then switched to my current fave (Corsair), and haven't looked back since.

What is your Volt/Hz over there? Is it 120/60 like here or 240/50?

Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 11:08:22 pm »
220-240v @ 50Hz in Europe, TB.

Gives you a nice belt  ;D

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 11:34:23 pm »
220 at 50 Hz, i believe.
Some parts of Holland are @ 230 though.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 02:46:41 am »
Bit late to the conversation, but will add my two penneth anyway ;)

When building a system from the ground up, I like to start with CPU .. decide on intel v AMD ( you already done that )  I tend to lean towards intel because, lets be honest, pretty much all software is written on intel CPU's.  It may be a bit silly, also when I did use AMD's back in the XP2400 days .. they were sooo freakin hot .. had to have a proper airconditioner unit to keep them cool.

The i7 is the flagship .. and may end up producing some gold, but atm I think the i5 produces the best bang for buck .. remember that when choosing your CPU you are also deciding a lot about your motherboard.

The i7 come in a flavour that has a totally different socket which may eventually produce fruit but presently isnt doing anything for you .. getting a 775 core2 will limit you and make it impossible to move to an in at a later stage.

So now you have your CPU selected, motherboard next ... so first we decide on a chipset .. again I tend to lean towards intel here.  It used to be the case that you also decided on your possible graphics card combinations at this point, but I think that some boards are now both SLI and crossfire capable, the chipset will also decide on what kind of RAM, obviously DDR3 is got to be the way forward but its worth paying attention to the bus speed and  amke sure that it matches your other hardware.

I used to use Gigabyte boards all the time, they were the first dual BIOS boards and semed really slid ... then I had two die on me ( admittedly after many years service ) and I switched to Asus .. so far just had one weird experience with them where the motherboard appeared to die .. then after a lot of mucking about it started working again ? they seem pretty solid .. but its often worth checking that you need all the features they sell .. as you can buy a cheaper motherboard without a lot of those features.  Msi may be touted as the budget brand .. but if you pick the right board, they can be just fine.

For RAM I still like corsair RAM, but the GSkill is rated highly.
I like corsair PSU's also especially the modular ones which just means you doon't need all that excess power sockets hanging around inside your case, which can give you better airflow and therefore cooler / quieter PC.

video cards .. are they really that different ? I went ATI last time I had to choose and have been happy with the results .. for some customers recently I brought some cheap nVidia GTS 250 or something so they could dual screen and they worked fine.  In the past I have had my system setup with three screens .. I just had two similar graphics cards in the system,  I think it was an ATI 3870 and an ATI HD3480 or something.  There was an issue that you needed to use teh same video driver for both cards so they had to be similar or it wouldnt work .. but after that it was fine ..  I did have a few stability issues around the same time .. and sometimes my system woul boot up and only one of teh video cards would be noticed.  Not sure of the reason but eventually I switched back to dual screen as 3 was just a waste anyhow.  3 screens is possible and works if you want to have say one screen setup with a bunch of monitors or something on it so you can keep track of whats going on and then use the othe two screens .. but if you think you can use 3 the same way you do 2 its not quite like that. or at least it wasn't for me.  2 is optimum :p

I  have found that the stock cooler tht comes with intel cpus tends to work fine and not be very noisy.  I run at about 40 degrees and still under 50 under load, which is well within the limits of top performance.  If you do want to get a better cooler though .. make sure you get some arctic silver thermal compound too as it really does help imo.

I know you have a case but for completeness sake I like the antec ones .. particularly the p18x range I think I have the p182, great case lots of space, good cable management system, and a secret stash box where you can put your weed in there. errm your spare screws and stuff.

its still pretty easy to build your own .. there are more variations to worry about like the type of ram and what not .. but installing windows is a whole lot easier ;)

Oh and if you are planning on doing osmething memory intensive and want more than 4 GB (very affordable) then you might want to consider using the 64bit version of windows wwhich can actually make us of more than 4 GB.  But make sure that all the important software you want to use is compatible with 64 bit first.  Most stuff is ok, but there are still a few old apps that do not like it at all.  Same with drivers.
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 04:18:57 am »
No you're not too late. I'm still deciding.

Actually today I thought I might go with this....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665

It's got a 5 year warranty. Along with an  i7 - 950 3.06ghz

The support docs on the Mobo give you a list of exact memory that is known to work with whichever processor you get. So that makes life easy too.

Still haven't picked the PSU or vid yet.

--------

Lemme ask you something if you had a couple of cards that were the little PCIe type. and ran out of slots. Would they plug into the newer longer PCIe x16 slots and simply not use all the connections?

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 04:46:38 am »

Lemme ask you something if you had a couple of cards that were the little PCIe type. and ran out of slots. Would they plug into the newer longer PCIe x16 slots and simply not use all the connections?

I do that with my soundcard becauce my videocard is so big it covers my 1X PCI-E slot.
So yes, lower lane cards will work in bigger lane slots, they scale down accordingly.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 12:23:59 am »
10-4. Sorry I didn't see the reply.

I doub't I will need it but just wanted to be on the safe side.

Pulled the trigger on a CPU today. NewEgg had a $25 discount and free shipping so I went for it.

Still reading on the Mobo and Mem. I was surprised to read some the ASUS spec data that showed some mem to only work in 4 of the 6 slots. I think it was the cas 4 4 4 14 and then some was clocked down to 1300 from 1600 to get all 6 slots and 12 Gig.

I assume most Mobo's are similar. I'm still deciding what to buy. Having a hard time figuring out the differences in the various models. Even ASUS, I can't figure what the differences are and there can be a $100 diffference
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App