Author Topic: Cleaning puckups  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Toad

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 16
  • I don't have monkey fingers
Cleaning puckups
« on: October 15, 2010, 01:40:07 pm »
Is there a special cleaner to clean humbuckers or is water fine?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: Cleaning puckups
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:46:26 pm »
You mean the covers?

I wouldn't use water unless it's reverse osmosis and you make absolutely sure it is bone dry when you finish.

What are you trying to clean off exactly. A regular guitar polish would probably work or even just a microfiber cloth.
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 02:57:03 pm »
You've got the Agile 3100 haven't you, Toad? .......... Assuming you mean the metalwork, if they're not actually tarnished then a bit of spit and polish with a microfibre cloth works, as TB suggested. If they are a bit tarnished, then a very mild polishing paste like 'Autosol' will bring them up a treat.

Offline Toad

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 16
  • I don't have monkey fingers
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:02:54 pm »
They are dull looking....When I first got the guitar they were shiny.   So I was just thinkin of cleanin it up.  Thanks guys.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 02:51:55 pm »
They are dull looking....When I first got the guitar they were shiny.   So I was just thinkin of cleanin it up.  Thanks guys.

Toad, those pickup covers are plated with nickel.
They turn out like that rather quickly, and most people pick them for that quality ; it gives the guitar more of a 'used' look.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 03:47:19 pm »
The plating they use these days is not like the old stuff and it doesn't age the same.

I have some Gibson pickups that are 45 years old. I could easily use them as a mirror to shave. Never had anything done to them. The maybe five year old Agiles I can, but not easily, use as a mirror and along with the consistent dull finish is a speckle of light brown spots.

The Gibsons have a patina not unlike a piece of wood or jewelry. It's not even across the entire cover like on the Agiles. It's hard to describe.

Gibson = generally shiny with some cloudy areas sort of like a nice piece of silver.

Agile = generally and consistently dull with spots of discoloration sort of like worn paint splatter on aluminum.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App