Author Topic: Pickup Issue: HSS gain difference  (Read 1876 times)

NoFranks

Pickup Issue: HSS gain difference
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:28:39 am »
Hi folks,

Looking for some help with a pickup problem. I have a strat style guitar with an HSS pickup configuration. They are high output seymour duncans. Trouble is, the humbucker is sounding considerably weaker than the two single coils. I only noticed this when I recently bought an HT5 tube amp, though it has been a while since I've been using this guitar.

The drop in gain is really significant. Has anyone any idea what could be causing this? I've tried raising the hight of the humbucker but it really shouldnt be as high as it is already. I've even tried to fairly inaccurately measure the output level in comparison to the single coils and they appear to be the same.

Is my hummy dead? Loose wiring maybe? I dont want to go replacing it needlessly but my hummy needs its roar back!

Any help is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:37:11 pm by LievenDV »

NoFranks

Re: Pickup Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:01:34 pm »
oops, probably should have gone in the pickups thread this. My bad  :-\

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 02:38:06 pm »
Mis-wired, out of phase, short in coil(s), defective solder joint(s) connecting it to pots.

One of those.

Gone

NoFranks

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:14:55 am »
Thanks, as I think it's a problem thats occurred over time I'd expect its a defective solder joint. If it were miswired or out of phase I'm fairly sure the problem would have been noted when I bought it some 10 years ago.

Time to crack out the soldering iron  :-\

lorezolutions

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:03:40 am »
Thanks, as I think it's a problem thats occurred over time I'd expect its a defective solder joint. If it were miswired or out of phase I'm fairly sure the problem would have been noted when I bought it some 10 years ago.

Time to crack out the soldering iron  :-\

I think this might be my issue as well as the guitar was serviced and set up about a year ago and there were no issues until this week. I will take a look later. Thanks :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: Pickup Issue: HSS gain difference
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 12:56:00 pm »
Check the solder joint at the grounds on the pots. Especially the ones that bend the tab back to the case.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App