Author Topic: Mics 4 Recording Amps  (Read 814 times)

PunkRockerPenguin

Mics 4 Recording Amps
« on: October 04, 2010, 07:59:49 am »
Hello!

After much stress and questions, I know how it all works now. Mixer + microphones/guitar + Audacity/Reaver/Whatever = recording.

Alright, I definitly don't want to record guitar straight into the mixer. I want a live sound. I also don't want to record any track one by one, vocals and guitar need to be done together.

So once I buy a mixer, I'll need two microphones. One to mic a vocals amplifier, one to mic a guitar amplifier. I've already got a no-name microphone for my vocals amplifier, works and sounds good.

What would be my best bet? I know the Shure SM57/58 are good for live performances and straight vocals, but can they record amplifiers well?

Also, which of the two should I get? Two 57s or 58s?

P.S. Do you need a pop filter when recording amplifiers? Or just straight vocals?

Thanks!

Offline ErimSee

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
  • Make my day
Re: Mics 4 Recording Amps
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 04:29:33 pm »
I think the SM 57 is a instrument-mic. The productinfo says:
Shure SM 57LC, ideal dynamic mic for snare, toms, electric guitar and many more applications, definitely an all-rounder with a good frequency response for clean instrumental recording.
The SM 58 info says its a vocal mic.

David Stone

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 05:29:37 pm »
You don't need a pop filter for miking a guitar amp. Its generally a good idea to use one to record vocals. It softens the "s,t,and p" sounds that sometimes are produced when singing, especially if you are doing close miking on vocals. You can buy one or make your own with a little ingenuity. An embroidery hoop and a nylon stocking work well.

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 89
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 06:23:57 pm »
Hi Penguin,

The Rode NT2a is a good versatile mic. I prefer it to the Shure57. Just seems to give a clearer, full sound. Worth checking out.

Digger

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:05:05 pm »
For the guitar amp/cab? If I had the money I would get a Shure SM7b right now.
If you're recording straight to your DAW, I'd suggest looking at an audio interface/pre-amp like the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App