Author Topic: RODE NT1-A - Experience?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline ErimSee

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
  • Make my day
RODE NT1-A - Experience?
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:24:05 pm »
I´m looking for a mic to record voice and acoustic guitar. The Rode NT1-A completet vocal bundle looks nice. Do you have experience with this mic or a better choice for less than 200 €?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/rode_nt1_a_complete_vocal_recording.htm

Edit: I just found that Justin sees the NT1 as cheap but useable for a while. So we have different opinions in what is cheap ;-)
Anyway. Now I´m recording my acoustic guitar with a Zoom H4. Voice recording is with a SENNHEISER E 822 S (btw. that´s a cheap mic) supported by a ART TUBE MP, a small tube mic preamp. My Software is Cubase Studio 5.
Do I get a reasonable upgrade with the NT1-A or should I go for the NT2 (300 €)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:24:52 pm by ErimSee »

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: RODE NT1-A - Experience?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:21:05 pm »
Most people think the NT1 is just slightly brittle on the top end. Some do excellent work with it with just a touch of EQ to smooth that out.

The NT1-A was supposed to have cured that slight issue that some deemed a problem.

Rode make good stuff. You would probably be happy with it for a wide variety of jobs.

Gone

Offline ErimSee

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
  • Make my day
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 07:38:32 am »
Thx TB.

After reading Justins Mic-Articel I bought a SM 57 ;-)

The NT1 is on the to buy list for the next weeks.

Btw how di I have to ajust the EQ to smooth out the brittle on the top end?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 02:37:36 pm »
You could roll back a little of the very high end. To be honest you may not even notice it. That's pretty much in comparison to much smoother ( more expensive ) large diaphragm mics.

Another thing you can do is simply turn the mic. Move it an inch. One engineer friend of mine turns it sideways to a great degree so the sound is going more across the mic rather than directly right into the diaphragm.

In fact until you have more things to compare it to, you probably won't notice it.

EDIT: and don't forget I am speaking of the NT-1. Like I said, I thought that was something they addressed in the NT-1A. I've never heard the NT-1 vs NT-1A. I have an NT-1 and have heard a recorded comparison between an NT-1 and NTK on saxophone. Near impossible to tell the difference when recorded by a pro. The NTK ( much more expensive tube mic from Rode) had a little more character and body to a forceful accented note. But it was really down to trying to recognize individual notes and not an overall tonal difference.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:01:56 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:53:16 pm »
@ErimSee I too am interested in the NT1-A and it's been on my wishlist for a while although it keeps getting shunted down from pole position by other stuff but I'm interested to know what made you go for the SM57 in the end. Was it purely on the basis of Justin's mic article or did you hear something about the NT1-A that made you unsure... I know this is probably not the case because you still seem to be interested in getting one but it just seems incongruous to me that you went for an entirely different type of mic as a first choice; a very good instrument mic yes, but very different to the condenser.
Are you using the 57 for both voice and instrument recording?
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline ErimSee

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
  • Make my day
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 04:16:54 pm »
I´m going to use the SM 57 mainly for recording guitar and percussions. And the idea of recording percussions was the new thought that made me buy the SM 57. Its a great upgrade compared to my other mics. I tried to record voice too but am not satisfied so far.

And Justin says every studio has one and everybody should have a SM 57.
(I´m glad he doesn´t say run naked out of your house  ;-)

And I am still not sure if I the NT1-A will be the one or if I want to spend more money to get me a NT-2 to record acoustic guitar and vocals.

Got to find me a rich wife...

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 05:02:25 pm »
If you are going to spend that much and want a Rode, look at the NT 1000 and NT 2000.

Gone

Offline bobdavis62

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 05:15:18 pm »
RODENT1A -- An order of mammals characterized by two continuously growing incisors that must be kept short by gnawing...

Haven't had much experience with these varmints... but probably won't make a very good microphone.
Son, someday you will make a girl very happy, for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be. These men are called... musicians.

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 08:20:02 pm »
Justin says every studio has one and everybody should have a SM 57
I've not read his mic article yet but will look out for it. He is right. It's a "workhorse". They say that it's hard to break one but unfortunately I did manage to break mine. I let it get a large dose of dust so that may be the problem. It still sort of works but not very well. I was keeping it loose in a toolbag full of tools though. It was fine for a good 10 years so I got my money's worth from it before it died.
It is an instrument mic and should be good for guitar and percussion. It's very directional too which means that you can get different results by positioning it in certain ways. A very nice mic and it's not expensive either. Hope you have fun with it.

The NT-2 is supposed to be a very good mic too but I've a friend who's had both. He got the 1A when the 2 was stolen and he said he couldn't tell the difference. The 1A is supposed to be an improvement on the 1 when it comes to the mids and high end.
I'm glad you're still going for it and that you've not heard anything bad about it. I'm sure I'll get one when funds permit.
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline ErimSee

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
  • Make my day
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 11:52:32 am »
I took a look at the NT1000 and found the T1000 thomann edition,  identical in construction as Rode NT1000

http://www.thomann.de/gb/rode_t_1000_thomann_edition.htm

costs only a few bucks more than the NT1. I think this will be mine.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App