Author Topic: PC Build questions  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 170
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
Re: PC Build questions
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 05:26:39 pm »

Can you run all three of those at once?
Nope, dual screen is the most Nvidia can do software/hardware wise.
You'd need that Matrox triplehead2go system i mentioned if you want more.

EDIT: just took a look at the MSI, pretty big fan on it. Again I'm concerned about actual noise. Not, perceived in various environments. Also I won't be doing any gaming so anything that is specific to that sector would be overkill.
You can control the fanspeed via speedfan or EVGA´s ´Precision´ application.
On it's own it isn't noisy at all, and unless you run up the fan speed for heavy gaming, it won't get noisy.
I can't hear my GTX 470 over my case fans (unless i manually crank it up for gaming), and my case fans are so quiet i can't hear them over my typing.

As for your question about ye olde faithfull Matrox card, it should run fine, as long as you can get the drivers for whatever OS you're using, and from their support page it seems even win7 64 bit is supported, so that should be fine.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 06:38:45 pm »
I see some people simply run 2 -dual video cards. Some are quite cheap, like $50. so that's a thought.

I also just realized that teh new mobo's still have a couple PCI slots. I don;t know why i thought those slots had been done away with. So that's a relief. I need one PCI slot for my Digiface card.

Been looking at the GByte mobo's. Still not sure on that. I also like the idea of a SSD system drive and SATA6/USB3 for a little future proofing but don't want to run the $$ up.

Oh well...

So far I've got as given .....
4 space rack case - already have
RME PCI adapter - already have
WD Black drives - can get any time.
--- If I get a SATA6 drive will  it run on a SATA 3 connector in the event I don't get a SATA6 mobo? I assume it would fall back but not sure.

I'm looking at this cooler... http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=2&cid=12&id=46 Gelid Tranquillo

so I'm still needing the main stuff

CPU
Mobo
Mem
PSU - Still not sold on that Corsair yet although I see it mentioned a lot.

I need to make a spread sheet to keep from forgetting what I'm looking at.

Gone

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 08:49:16 pm »
you can run 3 monitors on an nvidia card.

You just need more than one card :)

I've seen setups running multiple dual head cards to get a full 360 view on MS Flight Sim. Using 8 monitors

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 11:32:17 pm »
That's at least 4 cards...
Don't want imagine how much power consumption that'd be.

And i stand corrected, Nividia has indeed made it possible to run as many monitors as you want with SLI'd cards.
That's what i get for going to work in a damn guitar shop i guess, i miss all the interesting IT developments  :'(
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

flyhead

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 11:40:35 pm »
..... i miss all the interesting IT developments  :'(

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 12:16:24 am »
It happens, Dan................ There was a time I used to be on top of every latest bit of hardware, latest developments, new gadgets, compatibility issues, etc...... I could build a system in my head to spec from what I knew was current. It takes time away from actually living your life, though; and these days I just don't have the time. So I do all the reading and comparisons as and when required. I don't do so many builds anymore, so it's not a biggie.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 12:51:02 am »
Yeah, I gave up trying to stay current. The last thing I built was a P4 and that was pretty easy.

Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 04:14:16 pm »
Ok, any bad news on this item?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

People seem to like it. Seems to have everything I need. Has correct TI chipset for Firewire. Fast SATA and USB
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 06:17:09 pm »
TB-

Looks like it has everything you need. The best you can really go on is the opinions of others, really. See if you can't find reviews and write ups and, if you're happy with the consensus, go for it.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 06:54:42 pm »
Ok, any bad news on this item?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

People seem to like it. Seems to have everything I need. Has correct TI chipset for Firewire. Fast SATA and USB

My former colleagues tell me it's an often used budget i7 board, no  (line) persistent defects, and they seem to like the dual BIOS chips a lot for testing new BIOS versions.
--Henry Rollins

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 08:32:37 pm »
Well I might give that one a shot.

Look like several people are running GSkill mem on it as well.

So I guess I'll try that. they have 6G (2x3) ddr3 1600 for $154

No DDR3 2000 in stock

GByte Mobo
GSkill memory

still need to sort through the PSU and Vid offereings

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 10:24:27 pm »
1600 is good enough TB, you probably won't run 2000 on full speed anyway without some OC'ing on the processor.
--Henry Rollins

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 12:17:00 am »
That's pretty much what I figured too. It's a bit of a pain trying to figure which boards run what naively and which will run it but need to be OCd.

I definitely don't want to generate extra heat just for some tiny possible speed boost.

Of course if the new stuff is on sale or similar priced I'll go ahead and buy it.
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 05:30:05 pm »
OK, how about CoolerMaster Silent Pro M850

It's supposed to be very quiet although I have not found actual specs yet. But <16dB to start. Looks like high quality parts from one review.

Price looks good too.

So far I'm leaning

WD
GByte
GSkill - Might check Mushkin too, I've got that now and it seems gtg. Just have to get timing exactly right ( and write it down! so I don't forget if bios gets reset )
CoolerMaster

Also case fans by Noctua down in the 10dB range. I remember researching those a long time ago as well.

Any thoughts good / bad on Cooler Master. Failures?

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 08:31:20 pm »
OK, how about CoolerMaster Silent Pro M850

It's supposed to be very quiet although I have not found actual specs yet. But <16dB to start. Looks like high quality parts from one review.

Price looks good too.

So far I'm leaning

WD
GByte
GSkill - Might check Mushkin too, I've got that now and it seems gtg. Just have to get timing exactly right ( and write it down! so I don't forget if bios gets reset )
CoolerMaster

Also case fans by Noctua down in the 10dB range. I remember researching those a long time ago as well.

Any thoughts good / bad on Cooler Master. Failures?

Although i love coolermaster's cases, i never had much luck with their PSU's.
Blew up 2 over 4 months, then switched to my current fave (Corsair), and haven't looked back since.

As for Mushkin, it's great RAM if you can get it at decent prices.
Over here they charged insane amounts so i never got my hands on any good sets, except for specified builds for customers, so i can't speak from very much personal experience.
--Henry Rollins

Get The Forum As A Mobile App