Author Topic: PC Build questions  (Read 4150 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
PC Build questions
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:09:02 pm »
Considering updating a DAW.

Anyone that has any recent specs I would be interested in. Must be specific to music/video/low noise etc..

Question 1 - why does this PSU have 4-12v rails? what is the advantage. the remainder of their line is 1-12v rail.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817610003

Question 2 - anyone have any specifics on good ASUS mobo's. I'v heard nothing but good on ASUS for DAW but they have some many offerings now.

Question 3 - thoughts on i7

Question 4 - video card  Generally speaking DAW does not need a high performance video card nor does something like Vegas. I have normally gone with Matrox dual heads. Open to any any thoughts in this realm.

I guess that's it for now. Maybe some thoughts if you have any.

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: PC Build questions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:25:52 pm »
1: Videogames. To be more specific, most modern videocards need to be run off two 12v rails.
You can see it on my old system's config in this pic : http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3924312698/
Note the two cables coming out of the top videocard.

And then there's SLI/Crossfire (multiple videocards working in parallel)...
So that's why they do that.
I would suggest you buy an Antec or Corsair PSU instead TB, i've had some bad experiences with Nexus in the past, done a few very troublesome RMA processes for customers.. very frustrating.

2: I hate Asus due to their nonexistant customer support and shoddy software, so i have no answers for you on that, sorry.

3: It's great for gaming, but in your case an intel 775 quadcore or even something from AMD could work just as well, for less cash.
I'd try to go for at least 3 ghz or something close on an AMD or an intel 775, for an i7 (6 cores) i'd say at least 2.6 ghz.

4: I'd get at least a nice GTS 450, from EVGA, Gigabyte or PNY, in that order.
Cheap, could play games on relative settings, and could be used to render/convert still, without being too expensive

5: G.skill RAM. Before our business whent the way of the dodo, we started selling this brand, our customers loved it.
Very stable, very low rate of faulty hardware compared to, say, Corsair, and even good enough for overclockers, at a normal price.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »
Considering updating a DAW.

Anyone that has any recent specs I would be interested in. Must be specific to music/video/low noise etc..

Question 1 - why does this PSU have 4-12v rails? what is the advantage. the remainder of their line is 1-12v rail.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817610003

Question 2 - anyone have any specifics on good ASUS mobo's. I'v heard nothing but good on ASUS for DAW but they have some many offerings now.

Question 3 - thoughts on i7

Question 4 - video card  Generally speaking DAW does not need a high performance video card nor does something like Vegas. I have normally gone with Matrox dual heads. Open to any any thoughts in this realm.

I guess that's it for now. Maybe some thoughts if you have any.

Answers:

1) Unless you're planning on running a bunch of extras in the machine that all require a lot of power, multi rail is fine. Single rail is better when you want to run say 4 GPU's that all need power from the psu. Otherwise, i doubt you're going to need to worry about single vs multi rail psu's.

2) Not I. I used to have nothing but trouble with their motherboards, so i always went with Abit. But that was many moons ago.

3) Best thing to do with this is a few comparisons. Also consider AMD Phenom II X4 cpu's if you're considering i7.

4) Unless you're gaming, just go with a decent powered card. Anything in the nVidia range from the 6xxx series on would do you. If you want to play games too, then you'll want something beefier.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:37:57 pm »
some good reviews on PSU's at http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 11:03:31 pm »

1) Unless you're planning on running a bunch of extras in the machine that all require a lot of power, multi rail is fine. Single rail is better when you want to run say 4 GPU's that all need power from the psu. Otherwise, i doubt you're going to need to worry about single vs multi rail psu's.

An explanation about multi vs single from JonnyGuru http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548862

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:45:43 pm »
and a line that was really my point:

The bottom line is, for 99% of the folks out there single vs. multiple +12V rails is a NON ISSUE. It's something that has been hyped up by marketing folks on BOTH SIDES of the fence.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 12:28:54 am »
Ok thanks guys.

On the AMD vs Intel thing. I have had both AMD and Intel and know they are both very good but I am also using the experiences of musicians/engineers/IT pros and when you combine all that the Intel platform is way I am going. It really get's into splitting hairs realm but I've already decided in Intel.

As far as ASUS, again I have several IT/working musicians that swear by ASUS for DAW, laptop, everything for a several year period. I have had Gigabyte and I think one of them still is. It failed once after a good long while and I just called them and they sent me new one. Have also had ABit and others. So ASUS is not a deal breaker/maker but I heard any widespread good reports about any other single unit so that's why I'm still leaning that way. I expect any brand to fail.

10-4 on the 12v. I'll mark that concern off my list.

Dan do you know the noise specs on a good antek or other. The Nexus is 15dB. I haven;t read the link yet from Ragz.

I forgot to mention. The video needs to be Dual head minimum. wouldn't mind a Triple or quad setup. Again noise level is an issue so no big fans. What do I need to look out for if I wanted to run two video cards.

also is there anything on a modern mobo that allows you to run a standard ide card. If not I have to consider getting a card for my digital interface ( and they are not cheap ).

Going with WD Black SATA drives. Any probs there?

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 12:34:51 am »
and a line that was really my point:

The bottom line is, for 99% of the folks out there single vs. multiple +12V rails is a NON ISSUE. It's something that has been hyped up by marketing folks on BOTH SIDES of the fence.

That link was meant as a confirmation of what you said Ragz, no need to get all defensive  ;)

@ TB : Corsair AX750 or 850, both are around the 15-20db mark under what would be full load use for you.

As for a dual monitor setup, i'd go for a (EVGA or PNY) GTX 460 1GB version, it has two DVI ports (as do most modern cards these days, even my old 9800 GT had two DVI ports).
When using two videocards (or more), the motherboard needs to be SLI compatible, which is usually noted in the mobo's name.

If you want to run three or more monitors you'll most likely be looking towards Matrox again instead though, if you want to keep things as simple as possible, either a card that natively supports 4 monitors, or their triplehead2go system on top of a regular card.

As for an ide (controller?) card, i'd assume they make those in PCI-E standard too, so you should be able to get one that works quite easily.

And WD black HDD's, well...
Assuming you mean the Caviar Black drives, i've got 4 running here.
Smooth, good transfer rates, and fairly quiet.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:00:29 am by Dan Graves »

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 04:30:15 am »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131346

Are they basically saying that card can do 4 videos at once?

2 DVI
1 HDMI
1 DP

========

WD - yes to what you said.

========

The chart I read on the corsair 850 showed 16dB at 50% and near 40dB at 100%   although I did read a good report of it as being quiet.

Also looking at this combo....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.495060
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 12:22:23 pm »
ATI card + passive cooling = recipe for disaster.
ATI cards are known for running VERY hot with active cooling (we used to refer to ATI systems as 'overpowered space heaters'), so i don't want to imagine what would happen if you ran that card in anywhere but a near arctic setting with little heating.

As for triple monitor support, look here : http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/products/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity.aspx
Any ATI hardware that supports Eyefinity should be able to do triple monitors (READ THAT PAGE CAREFULLY !! there's a few 'but's' and 'if's' to triple monitors).
But for god's sake don't buy a passively cooled card unles you like your mobo deep fried.

@ the WD's : well get 'em then  ;)

As for the mobo/cpu combo, i can't help you there, like i said, i don't trust Asus hardware.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 02:33:54 pm »
I've always run Abit mobo's, myself. As a rule they seem to have a lot less frills and be a little bit less user friendly, but have always been rock solid stable in any build I've thrown them in. I've used one Gigabyte board before, in a custom build that had been specified down to the last detail by the buyer who supplied the components and that worked out ok (which was a good job, 'cos the twit had a lot to learn about 'hardware compatibility') . I've used a couple of Asus boards and have to say there were no problems with them, although my patience has worn out with Asus over the last couple of years regarding the substandard boards they use in their laptops. I've had to scrap four Aspire's in the last twelve months 'cos the boards were shot and the cost of replacement is too high, even on refurb boards. As a result, I have very little confidence in their hardware as of late.

PSU: I'm partial to the OCZ Stealth X Stream series. Running a 600w in my system right now and I've used them on a couple of builds. Stable supplies, very quiet and more cables and connectors than I can use.

Graphics: I've just bought an MSI GTX460 Cyclone 1Gb .......... It's a lovely graphics card that runs everything I throw at it full belt, dual DVI output + HDMI. Dunno how that would help you decide on one for a DAW, but I thought I'd throw that in there for consideration.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 02:48:23 pm »
Gone

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 02:55:04 pm »
Graphics: I've just bought an MSI GTX460 Cyclone 1Gb .......... It's a lovely graphics card that runs everything I throw at it full belt, dual DVI output + HDMI.

Can you run all three of those at once? That would actually be next to ideal. I could run mixer on left, tracks on right and softsynth/etc on a nice screen above center on the HDMI. A 4th remote monitor would be nice but not necessary.

EDIT: just took a look at the MSI, pretty big fan on it. Again I'm concerned about actual noise. Not, perceived in various environments. Also I won't be doing any gaming so anything that is specific to that sector would be overkill.
Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 03:00:22 pm »
Not entirely sure, as it's not something I've needed to try before. Dan would know the answer, I should imagine, though it would be an interesting exercise finding out.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 03:15:54 pm »
I'll check into some various brand mobos.

I've used one Gigabyte board before, in a custom build that had been specified down to the last detail by the buyer who supplied the components and that worked out ok

That's actually the key. Over the years, lot's of DAWs were spec'd to the last detail and they resulted in very reliable and often over clockable, quiet, and cool running systems. Lot's have changed now though and OCing is not really important. There are just so many new things out there. You used to be able to find a recipe and just go with it.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App