Author Topic: Forming chords based on transitions  (Read 2065 times)

Offline sabu

• Good Vibes 0
Forming chords based on transitions
« on: January 18, 2016, 02:56:05 pm »
is it okay to use different fingers to form a chord based upon which chord I'm going to play next or is it better to always form a chord in the same way (i.e., with the same fingers in the same positions)? I'm a beginner and am trying to avoid forming bad habits.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
Re: Forming chords based on transitions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:59:56 pm »
I believe that as a beginner one should use the standard grips.  At least until you can form the chords without thinking about it.

As you advance through the course other grips will present themselves and during the song lessons that accompany the stages Justin may mention other options.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
Re: Forming chords based on transitions
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 05:51:08 pm »
If you can correctly play the various methods and one facilitates easier movement to the next, that's fine.

Ideally you like to limit movement just because it allows you play more chords faster. But... sometimes you really have to use the shapes that seem more complicated.

So if you can play both well and the alternate shape really is the best way to go, then go for it. But don;t make some goofy grip because it makes your life easy and you don't want to practice and learn the proper one that should be used.

IOW, don't fool yourself. Eventually you need to learn it all. If you know two chords well, use either one as you like.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Get The Forum As A Mobile App