Author Topic: wild world riff - slow down?  (Read 1143 times)

allanon

wild world riff - slow down?
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:46:41 pm »
hi guys, right now i'm learning to play wild world by cat stevens, and the first riff, which is the C major scale run, is driving me nuts.

i tried to start slow by playing at 50% of the normal speed, and slowly increasing after that. but at -30% i'm a bit of a loss at what to do from here on. at that speed i can do it quite cleanly, but the problem is sometimes, though rarely, i will hit the wrong string for the first note. does that mean i should slow down to a speed where i can play it perfectly first w/o even needing to look at my hand/thinking about it, or should i just keep plugging away at that speed(-30%) and hope that one day i'll get it?

thanks for your time  ;D

Offline ComplyOrDie

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 7sharp9.
Re: wild world riff - slow down?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:04:03 pm »
First off play it REALLY slowly, over and over again, Maybe half the speed for a few days, to get your muscles to remember the shape the shape, once you can play it clean slowly, up the speed a little bit, but not the full speed.

I think even justin said, the trick to playing fast is to start off slowly, gradually build the speed up over a period of time.
Up the speed lets say, ever 2 days but only by a bit, let your muscles learn what they are doing.

aging_bimbo

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »
Challenge yourself to play just the first couple of bars 10 times in a row without a mistake. If you screw up, you start again. Once you can do it 10 times, move up to 15, etc. Or you can TRY to get it wrong, and see if that helps you get it right.

allanon

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:11:48 am »
First off play it REALLY slowly, over and over again, Maybe half the speed for a few days, to get your muscles to remember the shape the shape, once you can play it clean slowly, up the speed a little bit, but not the full speed.

I think even justin said, the trick to playing fast is to start off slowly, gradually build the speed up over a period of time.
Up the speed lets say, ever 2 days but only by a bit, let your muscles learn what they are doing.

yeah thanks.. but my question is, if you're in the process of upping the speed, do you still increase the speed regardless even if you make a few mistakes at the previous speed you're at, or do you still maintain at that speed until you get it perfectly down first?

allanon

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:12:13 am »
Challenge yourself to play just the first couple of bars 10 times in a row without a mistake. If you screw up, you start again. Once you can do it 10 times, move up to 15, etc. Or you can TRY to get it wrong, and see if that helps you get it right.

sounds interesting, i'll try that thanks

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:43:41 am »
put the record on every once in a while and just try to keep up .. you will hit some bum notes but its worth doing every so often.
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline Thealchemist

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Keen Beginner
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 03:50:01 pm »
Can I also add to this post I have been learning this song with the same problem. I have tried to play with a metronome but one site states the bpm as 152 another site states it as approx 75 bpm can someone explain this apparent difference. My feeling is that it is the lower bpm

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 05:25:30 pm »
Can I also add to this post I have been learning this song with the same problem. I have tried to play with a metronome but one site states the bpm as 152 another site states it as approx 75 bpm can someone explain this apparent difference. My feeling is that it is the lower bpm

Funny thing, this.
The drummer and bass player in my band counts bars twice as fast as we two guitarists.
What we consider one bar they consider two.....
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Thealchemist

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Keen Beginner
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 01:26:47 pm »
Lol well that will confuse things I have now worked out that the bpm is the lower figure

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 04:22:29 pm »
If you are working from the BSB and have the chords and rhythm laid out, you know what should be happening in each bar - be it 1/4th, 1/8th or 1/16th etc. Now listen to the original and follow the rhythm. That should clearly indicate which of the two figures you should work with. BPM Analyser reads it as 152 but its most likely to be half that at 76 (close enough to your suggested 75). Works for most songs if you know the chord progression and strumming pattern, by listening to the original and following the beat count 8)

@Jesper - Have those drummers done any theory ? Maybe its easier to work the patterns by converting 1/32 into 1/16, 1/16 into 1/8 etc. Can see that working for 32nds as splitting the bars would give 2 x 1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a . But boy it'd do my head in. Must cause chaos at rehearsals   ;D
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 06:43:36 pm »
@Jesper - Have those drummers done any theory ?

Our bass player, not so much. But our drummers wife plays in a symphonic orchestra on a pro level, so I am reasonably confident that he is right.
Have to dig into it, though. If for nothing else, just because I am curious.

In a practice session it really makes no difference when playing. But when we take in a new song, it causes some confusion when we discuss arrangements. Creates a few laughs.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Get The Forum As A Mobile App