Author Topic: Transitioning to other positions on the neck when playing songs  (Read 328 times)

Offline jeff00

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Transitioning to other positions on the neck when playing songs
« on: November 10, 2018, 12:29:10 am »
I've gotten to the point where I can play songs of moderate complexity in the open position, but I find it really hard to transition to other positions.

What is the best way to learn other positions? I have a beginner's song book of sheet music. Do I just start over learning the same songs I already know in the second position and once I master that I keep moving up the neck one free at a time? That seems rather daunting.

Also is it normal to switch positions in the middle of a song?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
Re: Transitioning to other positions on the neck when playing songs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 02:48:51 pm »
I would go about how you suggest yourself. Play songs you know well and play the verses using your well known position and play choruses using alternative positions.

Not at all unusual and it help create dynamics to the songs.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
    • YouTube
Re: Transitioning to other positions on the neck when playing songs
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 03:22:36 pm »
Triads and power chords are part of the beginners courseware. So you could play verses to a song with muted power chords or triads, and then transition over to open chords in the chorus. The mechanics of the transition are simply a matter of practice. Start with "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac. Justin adds more chords in his tutorial, but it can be performed perfectly fine with just F & G.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App