Author Topic: Steve St.Laurent  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
Steve St.Laurent
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:41:16 pm »
Place holder so I can update the following post as needed.

MojoBrown

Re: Steve St.Laurent
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 01:00:35 am »
Very clean setup man!

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:48:18 am »
Have made a few upgrades to the rig since I originally posted this:

http://www.motosportsdesign.com/stevest/guitarrig4.jpg <---- CLICK HERE FOR A FULL SIZE IMAGE

Here's the specs on the rig:

Top Rack:
Behringer X1204USB mixer
Behringer FBQ1502 EQ
IBM laptop w/Reaper and Transcribe!
Technical Pro PS-B11 11 outlet power supply
Gem Sound XPS1000 Power AMP
2u Drawer

In the bottom rack is:
3u Drawer
Line6 Pod HD500 & EX1 expression pedal
Planet Waves tru-strobe pedal tuner
two pedals to control my drum machine which is an Alesis SR-16 which is just to the right
Akai LPD8 Midi controller using it as a foot controller

It's powering two Peavey PV115 15" PA speakers

The guitars on the wall are a Takamine EG260C and what started life as a Squier Affinity (only thing left of the original guitar is the body).  Here's the specs on the blue strat:

http://motosportsdesign.com/stevest/squier1.jpg <---- CLICK HERE FOR A FULL SIZE IMAGE

http://motosportsdesign.com/stevest/squier2.jpg <---- CLICK HERE FOR A FULL SIZE IMAGE

Warmoth birdseye maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard
gloss vintage tint finish
creme dots
10"-16" compound radius
6105 frets
Schaller locking tuners
Squier affinity body (routed the body to fit better components)
fully shielded
Dallenpickups VoodooBlues HSS pickup set
TBX master tone control
Variable coil split for bridge humbucker
GFS import bridge & solid steel trem block (block was shortened to fit the affinity body)
Tremol-no
Setup for down/drop tunings - tuned to D usually

In front is my full Warmoth Strat:

http://motosportsdesign.com/stevest/WarmothStrat/Warmoth1.jpg <---- CLICK HERE FOR A FULL SIZE IMAGE

http://motosportsdesign.com/stevest/WarmothStrat/Warmoth2.jpg <---- CLICK HERE FOR A FULL SIZE IMAGE

Schaller locking tuners (chrome)
Maple Warmoth Pro neck w/Indian rosewood fingerboard - Vintage tint satin finish
Custom logo designed by me on the headstock w/MADE IN USA and HOTROD STRAT (in the same font as the stratocaster on a fender headstock) and the Warmoth logo
1 11/16" nut width
Fender LSR roller nut
Standard thin neck contour
10"-16" compound radius fingerboard (22 frets)
SS6105 frets
Abalone dots
Custom polished aluminum neck plate with machined W Warmoth logo and an S'69 (letter of my name and year I was born)
Chambered swamp ash body with swamp ash laminate top (3 lbs 10 oz)
Tobacco burst finish front & back
front HSS route, top jack
Fender two point chrome tremolo
Black/White/Black pickguard
Hennessey deluxe chrome strap locks
Lace Holy grail pickups in neck and middle
Lace Dually Red/Silver humbucker pickup in bridge
Double Treble Python strap

Here are the switching options:

S1 switch (from american deluxe) in volume w/custom wiring allowing the following pickup options with the 5 way:

S1 Up:
1 - Bridge
2 - Bridge & middle in parallel
3 - Middle
4 - Middle & neck in parallel
5 - Neck

S1 Down:
1 - Bridge & middle in series
2 - Bridge & middle & neck in parallel
3 - Bridge & neck in parallel
4 - Bridge & neck in series plus middle in parallel
5 - Neck & middle in series

the top tone pot is a master tbx control pot which is a 2 way tone pot with a middle detent that allows you to cut treble or bass

bottom tone pot is a push/pull pot wired to work as a variable coil split for the humbucker so I can use either coil individually, both together, or one at full volume and the other at variable volume along with all the above options

and a fender passing lane switch to bypass the volume & tone pots and go straight to the humbucker
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:36:20 am by Steve St.Laurent »

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 03:24:43 pm »
Steve, if you ever feel adventerous, you might consider sanding the finish off that warmoth neck on the Squier and re-finishing with gun oil like Van Halen did with his Strat.
I'm busy on doing that to a cheapo frankenStrat that i've built from spare parts, and so far that oil finish on the neck feels sooooo slick...
Nothing compares to it.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:22:07 pm »
if you ever feel adventerous, you might consider sanding the finish off that warmoth neck

No oil needed.

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 07:52:26 pm »
if you ever feel adventerous, you might consider sanding the finish off that warmoth neck

No oil needed.

Explain TB ? and yes, i know an unfinished neck is smooth and slick, but the difference between plain and oiled...
Well, if you ever run into an EVH model with gun oil finish, give it a try, you'll know what i mean.
--Henry Rollins

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 08:37:43 pm »
Maple necks do require a finish - unless you want to void the Warmoth warranty.  I would have preferred a satin finish like I have on my other guitar but I got this one for a real good price off ebay and everything else was what I wanted.  The finish is so beautiful with the birdseye maple it'd be a crime to take it off.  Also the tint is in the finish so I wouldn't want to screw that up.  I'm actually surprised at how smooth and not sticky this gloss finish is.  Sliding up and down the neck isn't an issue at all.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:20:27 pm »
I'm aware of Warmoth's warranty clause, i order necks and bodies from them on a regular basis for customers  ;)
But yeah, if the tint is more finish than natural color i see why you might not want to remove it.
Personally i like how light gun oil accentuates the wood grain (something that you can see on any oiled wood), and it always feels slicker to me than most other finishes (and i say other finishes because a properly oiled neck is basically sealed up with all the oil, so it acts a bit like a laquer finish would).
--Henry Rollins

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 10:31:23 pm »
I meant that more for TB Dan.  BTW, if your talking about tru oil (which is a gun stock finish) it is technically a hard finish and does meet the requirements for Warmoth's warranty. 

The vintage tint's are in the finish - it's a darker yellow finish.  In a future build I'll probably go with an exotic wood that doesn't require a finish.  But I didn't want to go too far out of the box with these - wanted to be sure these came out right.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 10:47:52 pm »
I meant that more for TB Dan.  BTW, if your talking about tru oil (which is a gun stock finish) it is technically a hard finish and does meet the requirements for Warmoth's warranty.  

The vintage tint's are in the finish - it's a darker yellow finish.  In a future build I'll probably go with an exotic wood that doesn't require a finish.  But I didn't want to go too far out of the box with these - wanted to be sure these came out right.

No, i mean standard gun oil, the stuff used to oil gun parts.
Sometimes people use tru oil (which is linseed oil if i remember correctly) or tung oil because the slick finish effect is about the same (with tru oil being a 'proper' finish as you already noted), but i'm using actual gun oil, and applying it layer by layer because it darkens the wood differently, and brings out every nuance of the wood grain in a really nice way.
It's a slow process, and it will have to be redone once or twice over the first year or so of using the strat, but it is very much worth it.
--Henry Rollins

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 11:20:09 pm »
I think I'll pass. I don't even use petroleum based oils and cleaners on my guns any more.

Steve, yep, I'm aware of the warranty. My warranty is long long gone. I've just sanded the back of the neck down ( lightly ). Very slick, but also had good lacquer base that had aged in for many moons.

Gone

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »
i love the colours of that blue strat!
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

blueshound9

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 09:05:39 pm »
Your Warmoth Strat is SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!  Love the grain in the body.   I have a Warmoth boat neck on my Strat and absolutely love it!!!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 11:08:47 pm »
That's what I would like to have. a quartersawn, maple boatneck with no finish.
Gone

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 02:17:33 am »
Added an Agile AL-2000 to the stable.  Will be changing out the pickups to SD pearly gates and the wiring for a Jimmy Page style setup with Coil Split, Series/Parallel, and out of phase options and replacing the nut.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App