Author Topic: Seymour Duncan Antiquities - Strat  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
Seymour Duncan Antiquities - Strat
« on: August 16, 2010, 12:33:52 pm »
I've been listening to Seymour Duncan Antiquity videos on Youtube and all the videos I've listened to so far have the sounds I like.
(check out the way they sound on this Greco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w89wNIsARQ0)

I know next to nothing about pickups. SD has three different Antiquity pickups for the Strat. I don't know which one has "that sound"
I mainly want to get a warm, round, blues sound but I want the guitar to be versitile.
Does anyone have any experience with the Antiquities?
Suggestions?
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: Seymour Duncan Antiquities - Strat
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 01:21:24 pm »
None would, because a lot of the sound on that video is how the guy plays, the fact he uses a Telecaster, and beyond that, it's the amp.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:14:05 pm »
Thanks Dan.
I guess maybe I should re-phrase the question:
Discounting the playing style, can I get that sound from a Strat? And will the Antiquities help?
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »
Yes, that sounds more like a strat than a tele to me anyway.

Not sure what the SD pickups sound like

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:54:51 pm »
Well, yeah, you can get that sound from a strat.
Will the pickups help ?
Not as much as getting a good, comparable amp (tone wise), because the amp is the second biggest part of your sound.

As TB-AV has mentioned before, usually pickups are only a small part of the whole.
There ARE some exceptions in my opinion, like certain artists who use active pickups, or using insanely high output pickups, and some guitarists really do need specific pickups to get what is "their" tone (i am, sadly, one of those guitarists  :-\ ), but generally speaking they matter less than, say, what tubes and speaker are used with the amp, and what kind of woods the guitar is made of.

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:59:25 pm »
That was helpful. 'preciate it.
I have 25+ years in live sound reinforcement, but I'm a novice at guitar.
I have a really good idea what I want to achieve. I'm just looking for ways (in addition to practising) to help me get there.
Thanks guyz.

Edit:

I asked the guy what amp he was using. This was his reply:
I use the boss gt8, no mic or amp. Only a cable to the gt8 and other one to the PC sound card.

Granted Im listening on PC speakers.. but I woulda swore there were tubes in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:24:50 pm by Scooter Trash »

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:20:32 am »
If you like/want the Antiquities I think I would stick with the basic set.

I think that's his Surfer. The site even says that the forum people like that one a lot.

As to the "custom bridge" model in that series. I know my old Strat pickups had one considerably higher in DC resistance so that might be the way to go too.

the RW/RP Reverse wound / Reverse polarity is used in center when two pickups are used it has somewhat of a humbucker effect. Otherwise it's really no different.

That should give you a "real Strat" sound so to speak. Not hyped in any way. You can then get the rest with your amp or pedals. It seems to me that most great Strat tones start with simply a basic Strat pickup arrangement.

I would think if you pick anything from the top makers you are going to be good to go in that category.

SD
Loller
BareKnuckles
Fralin
Gone

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 02:07:36 am »
Thanks TB.
That helped a lot.

julienarrijs

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 11:55:30 am »
On top of all that , u can't stress enough the fact that when you're beginning to play the guitar, you're looking for a tone and you think that good gear will get you there..it will enable you to get there that's a fact but just as dan said before, lot of the sound you're after comes from the way the guy in the video plays...so don't get disapointed if you can't find that blues tone you're after for the moment no matter what great gear you're trying because lot of it will come with improvement in your playing, and you'll get to a point someday where almost every kind of gear you'll play will sounds quiet good, no matter how crappy it is !

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:57:58 am »
FWIW I finally decided on some pickups.
I got a set of Fralin Blues hybrids.
My playing still sux, but I'm really happy with the pickups.
I put them on a MIM Strat.  I play with GHS Boomer 10-47 strings through a Fender Blues Junior amp and with an Ibanez tube screamer and an MXR Carbon Copy delay I'm able to get most of the sounds that I was after.
They're definitely an improvement over the MIM pickups.
My Strat sounds like a Strat now.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:01:01 am by Scooter Trash »

Jack Daniels

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 07:07:33 pm »
I've had a set of SD Texas Hot Antiquities for years.  They are a specially wound lefty staggered set (wound by Seymour himself) which is currently in my Mary Kaye strat.  I don't believe in the hotter output bridge pup versions, go with the stock vintage output. The Texas Hot set is more for the SRV response. The other SD Antiquity strat set (can't remember name) is great for classic rock, standard blues, jazz, etc.  To tell the truth I've had many Seymour sets since SD first came on the pup scene in the early to mid 80's.  For the price of an Antiquity set you could buy BOTH the Vintage Staggered Strat set AND the Alnico II Pro Staggered set which are basically the same as the two aforementioned Antiquity strat pup sets. Get the RW/RP middle pup, and order the set "calibrated".

Get The Forum As A Mobile App