Author Topic: Coil-split and series/parallel without modding the looks  (Read 1498 times)

Kumagoro

Coil-split and series/parallel without modding the looks
« on: August 16, 2010, 12:03:01 pm »
So I got my little Samick TR4, and let's face it. I'm more fit into a "strat" tone, rather than the thick "gibson" thing. Since I can't really afford a new guitar now, I've been thinking about getting a nice little coil-split and series/parallel switch, using two push-pull pots.

Before you ask, the humbuckers on this guitar are Duncans, and yes, despite being stock humbuckers, they DO have four wires coming from them.

Aanyways, what I've been thinking, is to have one push-pull pot to split the two humbuckers into single coils, and have the second push pull to switch between series-parallel wiring. BUT, I don't want the two coils of a humbucker to be switching, but the middle "both coils" position to be in parallel, rather than series.
Why you ask? I want to achieve that slightly Knopfler-esque tone.

Here comes the basic question - is it even possible to do so.. I'll admit, I don't know much about guitar electronics, while making a simple coil-split is simple for me, series/parallel switch is a different story

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: Coil-split and series/parallel without modding the looks
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 01:48:55 pm »
So I got my little Samick TR4, and let's face it.

Ok, I'm facing it but still can't see it. What's a Samick TR4. .... Oh wait, I know this is a test. You want to see if we can Google that guitar.

I'm more fit into a "strat" tone, rather than the thick "gibson" thing.

That's nice.

Since I can't really afford a new guitar now, I've been thinking about getting a nice little coil-split and series/parallel switch, using two push-pull pots.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Before you ask, the humbuckers on this guitar are Duncans, and yes, despite being stock humbuckers, they DO have four wires coming from them.

Ok, I won't ask.

Aanyways, what I've been thinking, is to have one push-pull pot to split the two humbuckers into single coils, and have the second push pull to switch between series-parallel wiring. BUT, I don't want the two coils of a humbucker to be switching, but the middle "both coils" position to be in parallel, rather than series.

Your statement is a little confusing. May I suggest that if you have two humbucking pickups in your guitar that you refer to them as NP-AB and BP-AB.

NP or BP represent the pickups as Neck or Bridge.

AB represent the coils. Each pickup has 2 coils. There are 4 coils total. I would also name the A coil as the one closest to the headstock no matter which pickup it belongs to.

Why you ask? I want to achieve that slightly Knopfler-esque tone.

I thought we're not supposed to ask.

Here comes the basic question - is it even possible to do so.. I'll admit, I don't know much about guitar electronics, while making a simple coil-split is simple for me, series/parallel switch is a different story

It's probably possible but I don't know exactly what you want to do. I think you want to wire one pickup in parallel. Then again I think you want to wire 2 Series pickups in parallel when used together.

So you need to clarify.

NPAB - Coils in Series
NPAB - Coils in Parallel

BPAB - Coils in series
BPAB - Coils in Parallel

NP + BP in Series
NP + BP in Parallel

Some combination of the coils from either pickup in Series or Parallel. For instance NPA + BPB in Parallel or NPA + BPA in Series.

So what exactly do you want?

=====================
Aside from all that, I would try wiring each pickup NPAB coils in parallel and BPAB coils in parallel. Then connect those to the output in Parallel. That will be as close to Straty as you are likely to get and doesn't cost anything. Might have to change the tone caps which would be cheap.

You will also need to change the settings on your amp.

Cheap, easy and you might just like it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:44:26 pm by TB-AV »
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App