Author Topic: Virus - Malware - Firewall - or how to get it clean and keep it that way  (Read 2390 times)

jimiclaptoncarl

Re: Virus - Malware - Firewall - or how to get it clean and keep it that way
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 01:35:27 am »
I just use Avast Antivirus, and since I've been using it, have had no problems at all.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: Virus - Malware - Firewall - or how to get it clean and keep it that way
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 09:01:49 am »
On the slight related matter of getting your computer clean, don't forget to open up your Computer and give it a good spring clean every now and then.
A lot of air passed through a computer in the name of keeping it cool, making it's innards a veritable dust magnet. accumulated dust reduces cooling effectiveness which can reduce component lifespan or cause system malfunctions (unexpected shutdowns as the system tries to prevent CPU damage)
general dusting is important but pay particular attention to anything that has a fan (CPU heat sink, Power supply, graphics card, case fan).
ideally use a can of compressed air to shift any dust (do not use a vacuum cleaner inside the case as it generates static which may damage components)
Obviously don't do this while the computer is running.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

GaryBee

A lot of information in this thread, some of it will be confusing for beginners. Let me add my 2 pence.

Windows Firewall is fine
I have used free AV for years, currently Avast (Which is worth having just for Pirate Talk mode)
Always allow patches to load ASAP, not just Microsoft but Java, Adobe etc
When in the darker areas of the web, don't allow any programs to run, be careful what you click
Every once in a while run a anti-spy ware scan

That should do it.

One last thing, if you follow Tourniquet's tip, with compressed air. If you haven't done this before do it outside, you wouldn't believe how much dust there can be. I have seen it an inch thick!

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
you wouldn't believe how much dust there can be. I have seen it an inch thick!

Agreed. Dust sometimes gets into threads and it can get into your hard drive too. Every now and then it's a good idea to give it a clean. Compressed air might work but sometimes a more rigorous cleaning procedure is necessary, especially if it is making squeaking noises.

This should put things right...,
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2004/05/bbspot_labs_whining_hard_drive.html
 :)
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline Gandalf

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Suffolk/Cambridgeshire Border, UK
Very interesting page regarding programs "phoning home" from your pc and how to put a stop to it.
George
Yamaha FG730S

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
Windows Firewall is fine if you don't want anything getting in. Getting out is another matter. Try a GRC Leaktest and see how that goes ;)

GaryBee

Hi Wishbone,

You are right, Windows Firewall only stops in, and a better firewall would detect and prevent the outbound traffic. But once something is in, you are pretty much stuffed anyway. You already have an infection and need to clear it out. I focus on stopping things getting in, particularly being very careful about the programs I run. I've not had an infection in 20 years. But now I have said that I will probably get one tomorrow  ;)

Cheers,

Gary.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
Aye mate.........The second you said it, you jinxed yourself  ;D

Same here with not getting my PC infected; Other people's computers, however....... blimey...... Sometimes I feel like shaking them and screaming "How did you let this happen?...... It's a piece of piss to avoid!"

Get The Forum As A Mobile App