Author Topic: You get "Could not find this item..." error  (Read 2738 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: You get "Could not find this item..." error
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 12:48:01 pm »
What can i say, i like to tinker with old junk

I saw an enigma machine at a gun show the other day. It was only $10K if you want me to pick you one up.

----------------------

Perhaps we need  a VIrus / Malware thread with some sound advice ( yes, that was on purpose ).

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 02:11:24 pm »
What can i say, i like to tinker with old junk

I saw an enigma machine at a gun show the other day. It was only $10K if you want me to pick you one up.

Sure, if you feel like paying for it, i won't say no to that  ;D

And what's this, word jokes about VI ?
Tsk tsk.  ;)
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 02:22:04 pm »
And what's this, word jokes about VI ?

Damn! I ruined a perfectly good pun with a fat finger. Actually I guess that's really a lazy pinky episode.

Nah, you will have to hit me up when I win the lottery.
Gone

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 05:13:45 pm »
@Ragz

Have you resolved the error?

Erm.. thanks for that. I have resolved the error (as outlined above) in several of my clients' PCs. The post was just an attempt to pre-empt a potential and current problem doing the rounds. I honestly didn't mean to start a whole discussion on the merits of various AV apps.
Heck... if I get hit I just restore from a disk image (after having a play with what hit me). My time is only worth the £35/hr to others. To me it's all I have in this world and I wouldn't realistically bother (other than purely out of intellectual interest) spending time fixing any virus. I let my 7 PCs back themselves up on a daily basis. Much easier to restore. I only use 20-40Gb drives for each system and so that only ever takes 15 minutes or so.
aah cool. sorry. i should've gone back and read some of the previous posts again. hehe.

Like you, i do that same thing, daily backups work a lot easier. And make restoring a simple task with no hassle or worry of loss of data.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 06:55:30 am »
Seeing as we're on the subject of PC problems here, here's one that has me stumped so far. I'll probably be reformatting this box anyway, 'cos it's quicker than messing about with it, but this bugger has me really curious as to the cause of the problem as I can't seem to find any solution so far. Anyway..... The symptoms:

OS is Windows XP SP3, standard build box, nothing fancy, bit on the old side, XP2200 AMD CPU, half a gig of RAM.

This is the one I mentioned that I'd had to clear the 'Security Tool' out of. Well, that's gone, but there'a another problem:

There's an instance of WMI (wmiprvse.exe) running under Svchost (DCOM Server Process Launcher) that is spiking the CPU load like a XX--XX. It's grinding the machine to a halt. So far, no info on the 'net has come up with a specific solution, except for the same problem running under Server 2k3.

As I said, I'm going to reformat the thing........ It could do with a fresh install anyway.......... But I'm really curious as to whether there's a quantifiable cause and solution for this particular problem.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:22:38 pm by TB-AV »

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 07:23:25 am »
The amount of malware that pulls that particular stunt is staggering wish, i'd say just clean it out and forget trying to figure out what it is.
And wipe the MBR just to be certain it won't come back, some of the malware that pulls this is really gnarly.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 08:09:11 am »
Yeah, Dan............. I've only ever had it once before and I ended up reformatting that bugger too. I was just curious as to the cause of the high CPU load on that particular service. This is post cleanup, by the way; the OS is now clean, but it seems to have left this particular effect in its wake. There are quite a few people having this problem on clean systems, too. Microsoft can only explain and rectify it on Server 2k3 boxes, but XP systems seem to be screwed.

I'll be doing the same to this box as I do with any I reformat; installing a hidden restoration partition and giving the owner some very easy to use system restore disks. That way, hopefully, I'll never see it again ;)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App