Author Topic: problem with computer can't watch any videos  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
Re: problem with computer can't watch any videos
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 07:21:07 pm »
I doubt there will be much dust in a new PC.

It wouldn't hurt to do the rest of those steps though. Be sure all cards and memory are seated properly too.

depends where you live, TB.
AZ is really dusty. The fans gather it up so fast i have to clean mine out every month or two.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 09:20:15 pm »
I thought this was a new PC he just got. But anyway, I still doubt dust or dirt. That usually causes random failures. This is a repeatable failure which suggests a software problem or a hosed vid card that can't address it's chips properly.

Gone

XamTheOne

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 11:14:57 pm »
Extra things you can do after updating the BIOS if that didn't work:

- Install all Windows 7 updates (well do that before)
- Check if you have plugged the extra power supply for your graphic card.  I know it usually doesn't let you boot if you forget, but just checking.
- Start with only one RAM module -> fixed?  Motherboard can't handle big amounts of RAM or the specific chips used
- Downclock your CPU if you can -> fixed? Power supply is not powerful enough or CPU overheats too easily
- Start in safe mode (press F8 at boot until screen appears) -> fixed? Driver problem somewhere
- Try to borrow a friend's graphic card -> fixed? Power supply is not powerful enough or drivers are unsafe or particular problem on your card

If everything else fails, motherboard sucks or Windows 7 sucks... So you'll have to decide between changing hardware and changing OS... :/

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 12:43:04 am »
I'd suspect the video card first of all. Ragz is right, you should make sure it's seated correctly. Just unplug it, rub the contacts with a pencil rubber and plug it back in making sure it is pushed all the way home solidly. Presumably it's a PCIe card not AGP (but it makes no odds either way)? I guess that it's PCIe from the other specs you gave.
If the problem persists and you are sure you have the latest 64-bit drivers installed properly then your memory is the next thing to put under the microscope as TB-AV has said. Here is a tester which will work with 64-bit machines...
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
from within Window and here
http://memtest.org/#downiso
is one that you can burn to test from outside Windows (remember to go into your BIOS and set your CD/DVD ROM as the first start-up device). Just boot from the CD to test.
If your memory is reported as "bad" all is not lost. If you have 2 or 4 memory cards then take them out, rub the contacts with a rubber and re-house them, perhaps in different places (but always synchronously even - ie slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4 - with 4 cards don't worry about it. If the memory is still reported as bad after that then you have recourse from your PC dealer.
Good luck.
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline marcus

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 07:32:27 am »
Hi all sorry i haven't replied been away for work and yes it was gfx card. I ended up taking it to computer shop to get it tested and yes something to do with a chip for decoding videos was blown. the 3D part of the card worked fine just the rest of it was RS. Anyhow for the little bit extra i got them to put the GTS250 card in and it going great.

Thanks to all for advice but it got the better of me (don't know much about the tech side but might learn).
takamine eg-230,Ashton electric,schecter
Ashton ga10amp,Ashton aea10amp

Get The Forum As A Mobile App