Author Topic: problem with computer can't watch any videos  (Read 2334 times)

Offline marcus

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
problem with computer can't watch any videos
« on: August 06, 2010, 03:25:06 pm »
Just got a fresh built computer with windows 7 64 bit version and it freezes every time i try to watch anything on youtube or in justins site.
It doesn't freeze any other time, only watching vids.

Asus P7H55D-M pro 2.67Ghz motherboard
i5 750 LGA1156 quad core Processer
EVGA GT240 Nvidia 1GB Graphics card
WD Caviar Black 500Gb HD
4GB GEIL Black Dragon 1600Mhz C8 DDR3
600w Power supply

I have tried downloading driver for graphics but no change, and have read up on problems from other people but no answers there either.
Sucks really you get new computer and can't use it properly,yet my old computer had no dramas with windows 7 32 bit version. I thought it was time to upgrade since my old one was getting outdated.

Anyone else have this problem? anyway it midnight here and time for a snooze.
Thanks in advance

takamine eg-230,Ashton electric,schecter
Ashton ga10amp,Ashton aea10amp

stephen4x

Re: problem with computer can't watch any videos
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 04:25:54 pm »
Check you have the latest Adobe Flash installed - visit http://www.adobe.com/go/EN_US-H-GET-FLASH . Also, might be worth trying a different browser, perhaps Firefox (assuming you're using IE that is). It seems (just checked) that they aren't supporting the 64bit version as yet, so try grabbing the 32bit and using FF as above. Good luck.

ghostie

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 05:01:40 pm »
out of interest, why did you install 64bit over 32bit? You may have some issues getting software working in 64bit, or even finding drivers for everything?

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:02:50 pm »
out of interest, why did you install 64bit over 32bit? You may have some issues getting software working in 64bit, or even finding drivers for everything?

that's a myth. Sorry ghostie. 64 bit machines are far more common these days. I've been using x64 OS's for years and never once had any problems with drivers or getting anything working.

Marcus:  let us know how you get on with stephen4x's suggestions, since they should cover several bases and help to pinpoint the issue better.

Also are you seeng any errors in your Event Viewer?

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:06:28 pm »

That'd be a non-issue because except for old, pre-vista hardware every vendor and their mother has drivers for Win7 64.
The days of minimal 64 bit support ended with XP 64.

@ marcus : did you get the latest version of your motherboard drivers for 64 bit as well ?
Is the BIOS updated to the latest version ?

Are you sure you got the correct drivers for the videocard : http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/258.96/258.96_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe   ??
Did you properly uninstall the old drivers first, with drivercleaner or similar software ?

On a side note, have you registered the videocard with EVGA ?
If so, you can download a nice monitoring software called precision from EVGA's website : http://www.evga.com/precision/
If not, you should register it because otherwise you only get 1 year warranty.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 11:03:28 pm »
one thing you didn't clarify, marcus:

When you say "it freezes". do you simply mean the video stops playing? Or that the entire OS stops? Or something in between.

The more detail the better.

ghostie

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 11:17:44 pm »

that's a myth. Sorry ghostie. 64 bit machines are far more common these days. I've been using x64 OS's for years and never once had any problems with drivers or getting anything working.

Interesting, i didn't realise. Other than not contracting virus' or malware, what other benefits are there?

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 11:56:47 pm »

Interesting, i didn't realise. Other than not contracting virus' or malware, what other benefits are there?

For most users, there isn't much if any benefit to be honest.
x64 systems allow you to break the 3GB barrier that is set by x86 systems.
However, it doesn't get used unless you're running a 64bit application.

So for me, for example, it's great for my DAW, since i use the 64bit version of Reaper, that utilises all my available RAM which is currently at 8GB

But if you're not doing anything much aside from gaming, then 32bit OS's still work fine since i don't think there's any 64 bit games out there yet (i could be wrong though).

Offline marcus

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 01:29:31 am »
Stephen4x:

I do use firefox and downloaded adobe flash.
You get a choice when installing win7 whether you want the 64 or 32bit version.

Dan:
No i haven't got latest drivers for mboard didn't know i needed to, so i'll try that to.
Yes that's the videocard driver i down loaded but didn't uninstall old one and haven't got drivecleaner or anything just whatevers in control panel.
(Amatuer aren't i)and not registered yet with EVGA.

Ragz:

Sorry yes the OS freezes and gets lines through the screen and different colors like the monitors going to give up and i have to push the reset button on the tower i think you call it a hard restart (or hard reboot?) Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 01:34:51 am »
Yeah that sounds like a video card driver issue. It -could- be a memory issue as well but I would suspect the video card configuration.
Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 02:10:19 am »
Stephen4x:

I do use firefox and downloaded adobe flash.
You get a choice when installing win7 whether you want the 64 or 32bit version.

Dan:
No i haven't got latest drivers for mboard didn't know i needed to, so i'll try that to.
Yes that's the videocard driver i down loaded but didn't uninstall old one and haven't got drivecleaner or anything just whatevers in control panel.
(Amatuer aren't i)and not registered yet with EVGA.

Ragz:

Sorry yes the OS freezes and gets lines through the screen and different colors like the monitors going to give up and i have to push the reset button on the tower i think you call it a hard restart (or hard reboot?) Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work.

Well first things first : get that card registerd with them, it's important for your warranty, and you might get a free game or free software when you do, EVGA is always giving stuff away with their cards.

It sounds like a problem where your videocard seizes up on driver level and just hard locks the OS, so i would uninstall all the video drivers, The how to of which is explained on the EVGA forums, here : http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=224312

Once that's done, install the driver you downloaded, reboot, and see if that fixes the issues.
Also download the motherboard drivers from Asus (and possibly Nvidia) and install those, you really need them (asus site should be able to tell you which ones you need).

If all that doesn't fix the issue, report back here and we'll see what else it might be.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline marcus

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 06:15:40 am »
Could it have something to do with my monitor?
it's a BENQ FP91G+

Offline Silverfang

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 07:31:54 am »
Could it have something to do with my monitor?
it's a BENQ FP91G+

No, to be frank. The monitor only effects how you see what the computer is outputting. The better the monitor the better the image, the higher the resolution, and the better response times you will get. The monitor has nothing to do with how the computer runs, the only thing which will have an effect is if you are running a graphically intensive program/game in a high resolution (you'll likely get some form of fps drop and it may lag), but that's the settings in the operating system / said software that can normally be changed in a few minutes.

As has already been mentioned in this thread it's most probably your graphics card/motherboard drivers that are not fully up to date, or it is possible that there is a clash somewhere, although it's more likely the former. I had a similar issue on vista, the vista drivers were pants and I couldn't watch anything in full-screen else the image would mess up, then disappear and then the computer would crash. Now I'm on win 7 (both 32 bit and 64 bit) on my computers I've not had any issue that wasn't my fault to begin with.
Matt
Toff-Turned-Taff
Yamaha Pacifica 112J  -->  Vox AD60VT (w/ VC4)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 08:43:22 am »
Ragz:

That right there stinks of a gfx card going bad. Or an overheating GPU (if your card has a fan on it, make sure it's working and not stuck or clogged with dust to stop it spinning).
Artifacts on the screen is a pretty much sure sign your vid card is dying though unfortunately.

Here's what i would do...

Uninstall the video card drivers from Windows.

Shut down the pc

Remove the video card, clean any dust out of the fan with some canned air and reseat it back into the pci/pci-e slot to make sure it's seated properly.

Once the card is back in, switch on

Install the latest drivers again

See how that goes.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 01:41:23 am »
I doubt there will be much dust in a new PC.

It wouldn't hurt to do the rest of those steps though. Be sure all cards and memory are seated properly too.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App