Author Topic: BareKnuckle Pickups  (Read 5067 times)

VenusBlue

BareKnuckle Pickups
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:58:14 am »
So i'm a real big fan of Bareknuckles, even though they are pretty pricey... I was browsing over their website since I plan on ordering a pair in the fall, and I just realized that they charge almost 20% more if the order is outside europe, plus shipping. I live in America and that's real disappointing. Does anyone know a way around this? That's a lot of f%()*#ing money on top of the $200, shipping and taxed I was already expecting to pay...

I don't know anyone in europe who could get it shipped to their house either.

Also their "Calibrated sets" are twice as much as their other sets. Does the change in tone justify the cost? Anyone with experience on this?

They also used to have a description of each pickup set online, but they took that down and added a few more sets... Any way I can find out "Which set is for me"?

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: BareKnuckle Pickups
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:22:01 pm »
Buy from one of their U.S. retailers ?
The extra charge is all VAT (and similar retarded taxes).
If you want descriptions, go to http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/products.html and click each set's name for description and specs, go to http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=5.0 for sounclips.

VenusBlue

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 06:04:25 pm »
Buy from one of their U.S. retailers ?
The extra charge is all VAT (and similar retarded taxes).
If you want descriptions, go to http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/products.html and click each set's name for description and specs, go to http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=5.0 for sounclips.

Oh, I thought you had to buy pretty much directly from them. I see... I don't know how I missed that, and the product information page. The sound clips are good, but they're all pretty amateur and sound the same, all the compression and everything doesn't really give a good sound for the pickups. Shopping for pickups is pretty hard, you don't know what they're going to sound like with your set up, and it seems hard to judge them otherwise.

I'm looking for a real mid-heavy pickup that's bassy but still retains enough highs for leads. I don't use a real trebley tone, but I still play metal and need them. I play stuff sorta like The band Sleep or The Sword.  Some one recommended me the JB's by SD. Can anyone comment on these?

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 06:29:58 pm »
Miracle Man set, or Warpigs (where you'd have to choose between Alnico and Ceramic, which would depend on how tight you want the bass repsonse).
Also, you can always join the forum and ask there, or pm Tim (Mills), he makes the damn things, and his advice has always worked for me.

VenusBlue

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:03:18 am »
Hmmm... alright.

Thanks a ton man, Useful as always. I think i'll go with the Warpigs if I don't end up with some JB's for real cheap. Or I might end up trading my Hammer for an old Ibanez Destroyer... Decisions, decisions... So much GAS

Offline äx

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 03:10:03 pm »
Also their "Calibrated sets" are twice as much as their other sets.
That's because they're sets, as opposed to single pickups. Get one, pay one - get two, pay two. =P

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 11:55:26 am »
where does it mention that they charge 20 percent more outside of Europe ? or are you just talking about postage ( if so who cares .. it said 12 quid to Australia, cant get much further away than that.

I am interested in these pickups and cannot decide whether to upgrade the strat or les paul first :p
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 01:02:12 pm »
I'd do the Les Paul first, since it'll cost more  ;D

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 11:43:49 pm »
hmm well I still cannot decide between mules or stormy mondays :p

and I liked the idea of paying less first.  Do the strat packs come with a pickgaurd ? as I might get a nice pickguard if I am upgrading the pickups.

Must do more research .. I don't really know what set I want for strat either .. looking to get a bit more control using the guitars volume and tone knobs.  and just a fuller richer sound.  I don't mind the sound of my current stock pickups in the strat .. they just sound a little bit .. harsh .. or sharp .. or just slightly unrefined somehow .. lacking is the best I can really come up with .. theres just something something missing :p

the sound clips confuse me .. some are played through modelling amps anyhow.
Electric
Amps
Acoustic
FX

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 08:09:52 am »
No, the strat sets don't come with a pickguard, unles you specifically order a pre-wired pickguard setup.
If you want more control, get some nice 500k CTS pots.
Hell, you might as well get some shielding material if you're gonna take off the pickguard, and shield that puppy.

As for "lacking" tone, you lack some definition and warmth perhaps.
It's the most common complaint i get in store.
Usually i'd go for a Mother's Milk set if the customer wants warm, vintage-y sounds, otherwise the Irish Tours.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 09:59:58 am »
Usually i'd go for a Mother's Milk set if the customer wants warm, vintage-y sounds, otherwise the Irish Tours.

that was my longest decision to take :)
they both have their charm. (I went for the Irish Tours; they really sizzle in comparison to stock MiM strat pickups; on trimmed down treble; they get z nice pseudo-humbucker sound.. at least, in my setup)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 11:33:44 am »
can anyone just describe each pickups basic tone ? I mean I would guess that the names are a general indicator ..  but I dont get the connection in all cases.  I mean they are obviously based on someones tone right ?

e.g. sultans would be a knopfler sound, slow hand a clapton sound.  Apache would be Hank Marvin ?, Mothers milk rhcp ??   I dunno but it would be good if someone could just write it out like that.  I still don't really have the words to describe what I think is missing in my tone even though I know it exactly when I hear it.

so better pots to increase the control using them ?? hmmm sounds like a fun project .. I am liking the idea of doing the strat first .. although it will mean my les paul might not get much of a play for a bit .. but I like how you can get a new pickguard and keep the old setup exactly as it was before you started to mod.

can anyone confirm the comment someone made earlier about BKP charging double for orders outside europe ?
Electric
Amps
Acoustic
FX

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 11:28:35 am »
DC, it's like i told VenusBlue : get them from a local dealer.
In your case, that's :
  Australia

Pro Audio Supplies
87-89 Gladstone Street
Fyshwick
ACT 2609
Australia

Tel: 0061 26249 7766

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 03:01:40 pm »
DC, how is the adjustment on the pickups you have now. The relationship of pickup pole top to string?

I'm not knocking any of the pickups but M.K., E.C., J.F., H.M., SRV, Hendrix all used standard Fender pickups yet end up with different tones. Some of that is simply pickup adjustment.

Here's a quick guide. http://afh.tripod.com/Tips.html You will need to know how to do it with new pickups anyway so you might as practice with what you have now.

...and you might want to watch this before you go changing to 500K pots on a Strat. I would stick with 250K. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BelCD2z00o

Do it in this order.... imo anyway....

Get the guitar physically setup correctly. All the basics. Strings, Trem, Nut, Neck.

Then get the pickups adjusted properly for balance and output per link above. Don't worry yet if tone isn't just right. Might have to recheck step 1 along with this process.

After this, things should be playing well and the tone ( whatever it may be )  should be balanced.

Now solve for these problems....

Is it too bright? Check for 500K or higher pots. Change to 250K the Strat standard that Leo used.

Is it too dull when you turn the tone controls?  Try a smaller value cap.

Do the T and V pots go from full on the full off too quickly? Get better pots.

If it still sounds bad it may indeed simply be crappy pickups but you should now be able to take physical measurements and put the new ones right in to same specs.

Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 06:19:31 pm »
DC-

I recently upgraded the circuitry on a Korean Strat. It was dull as hell and had a nasty hum to it. I replaced the pots with 250k Alphas, the cap to a .022 orange drop, fitted a new selector switch (Alpha Import) and a Neutrik jack socket. The change to the tone was instantaneous and drastic. Now it's a whole lot of fun to play, whereas before it was practically an ornament.

The cost of all this?.............. Less than £10 and about an hours work to fit it all.

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 12:15:17 am »
hmmm ... interesting

it is a mex strat so its not the same pickups you get in the USA one .. but I can get a similar tone to Hendrix live stuff.  I think what I am missing from that is mostly volume and the extra goodness that produces.  and I know that he used a lot of fender amps for recording so that would help .. but the pickups still seem to be a little ... cold ?

the tone just ends up sounding muffled when you roll it off .. and the volume doesn't seem to really change the dynamics .. like if I set the amp to distort .. and then try rolling off the volume, it doesn't really get rid of the distortion and then when it does its just too quiet and sounds thin.

I did have a look at changing the pickup heights .. but didn;t seem to produce much difference.  Might have another go to see if I can improve on that.

Oooh jsut noticed the comment that some strats seem to suffer from having their trem locked down .. mine is screwed flat to the body as I really do not use it.  The part where he says it can make teh tone rather harsh and tinny .. that might describe what I am hearing .. hmm .. maybe I need to re float the trem ?
Electric
Amps
Acoustic
FX

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 02:05:33 am »
the tone just ends up sounding muffled when you roll it off

Change to a smaller value cap. Half of what is there now.

What happens if you put a clean boost between the guitar and amp and then try the edge of breakup / Vol rollback deal.

The pickups ought to be about the width of a US 5 cent piece away from string. Not sure what that is in your land but basically a hefty coin.

That's not to say you won't enjoy a new set of pickups. The Vol rollback thing sounds a little odd. I would have to think on that for a bit. It seems like that should not be an issue but then again everything works together as a whole.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App