Author Topic: TE-751 • Melodic Percussive Fingerstyle  (Read 20011 times)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
Re: TE-310 • Melodic Percussive Fingerstyle
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 01:46:11 pm »
maybe he does a sort of slap with a rotation of the thumb,not a palm hit.
The noise is not as strong as justin's technique,
but is enough sharp and very nice. How do you think he does?

I think what sounds like a hit is just his thumb aggressively plucking the bass notes.

As far as I know, he uses his 1st & 2nd fingers together to make quick up-down-up  pick on 2 strings (between the bass notes played with his thumb). On the down pick, the strings are plucked with the "wrong" side of his finger tips. He tends to rest his fingers on the strings between notes to mute them.

Have a look at the very start and at 5:15 of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_7feGF9TA8

It's not much clearer, though.

Andy

HAH! I've linked to the same video as the previous response, but from a different youtuber.

KnopflerFinger

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2012, 03:36:30 pm »
I tried his technique and it so difficult:( when resting the palm to mute string,the hand is so low on the strings
and rotated on his right sight,
that i can't comfortably do that upstroke with 1and2 finger..
and if he is muting with the left hand?i m not sure
if melody notes are ringing out or not(in the second case the left hand muting can be the aswer..)

@misterg
i don't think it's thumb strong plucking,if so it would sound as at exactly 5:00
of the same video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_8dDaPsSmg,i think  in the 1st video the sound is not so rude and strong..

(lol look at that pick abandoned on his leg,it bust be the most depressed pick in the world )

kangastelg

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2012, 12:56:35 pm »
Hi looking forward for some songs like Kings of convenience - know how.

Offline Real_music_Lucas

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 10:35:14 am »
hi there!

I just found these folk fingerstyle under the technique and was wondering when to start these at what stage? iv kinda just finished the beginners course and is basically really trying to master it now before going onto the Inter. course. is it recomended i start though the inter. course before hitting up these folk fingerstyle teckniques or can i begin them now?
Now safe beneath there wisdom and there feet, here I will teach you truly how to sleep

PinkMoon

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2013, 07:01:50 am »
Howdy folks,

I've been a long-time casual viewer of Justin's site but recently decided to put a bit more discipline into my learning, and found my way to this lesson.  As evidenced in my username, I really love folk/fingerstyle guitar and really want to learn the technique in this video.  I can play Follow You Into the Dark pretty well, using a raking style percussion, but this slap/strum/click thing is proving difficult for me, mainly because I find it really hurts my fingers!  The problem is if slap the bottom strings with the fleshy base of my thumb and palm, and curl my fingers to catch the top 3 strings, I find I end up often hitting the top strings with the flesh right above my nails on fingers 1, 2 and 3, which hurts after a short while.  Am I just being a baby (ie. do I need to develop calluses on the back of my fingers?!) or is there something wrong with my technique?

Would really appreciate any help you good people out there might be able to throw my way.

Many thanks in advance, and rock on one and all.

Offline Jonny5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2013, 04:16:19 pm »
That part of your fingers is pretty sensitive but yes I'm afraid it's just a case of manning up until you lose some of that sensation, as you have done with your fingertips. It shouldn't take too long. I learnt a couple of flamenco style strumming patterns on a steel string acoustic a while ago, wasn't uncommon for my fingers/thumb to bleed a little at first!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »
Pink Moon There are many different way to do percussive fingerstyle. Play around with it until you find a
way that work for you. Try to curl your fingers less so your nails hit the string. Like everything else with
guitar start slow and make your fingers do what you want/need them to do.

Have you watch this lesson from Justin?
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-301-FKW-Fingerstyle.php
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 05:19:46 pm by stitch101 »

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2013, 11:42:19 am »
Mine hurt too when I started ding this style... persistence worked ;) good luck.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

PinkMoon

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 11:58:08 am »
Thanks Jonny5 and stitch101 for both of your replies.  And to Justin, you have my most sincere thanks (and a small donation  :o) for everything that you've contributed, and continue to contribute, to the guitar community.

Firstly, J5 - I suspected as much, but wanted to check whether I was doing something wrong from the outset in case I'm putting my fingers through unnecessary grief.  The flesh above my index-ring fingers is a bit raw/sensitive today after 2 days of practising, but I'm slowly getting there.  I'll persevere, and have adapted the angle/strength of contact, etc, a little to alleviate the pain and hone my technique.

Stitch101 - thanks for the tip re: curling my fingers less.  I basically came to that conclusion late last night once my fingers got a bit stingy to avoid aggravating them further.

I really love fingerstlye guitar and have put many days, weeks and months learning some of Nick Drake, Lindsey Buckingham and others' fingerpicking tunes, but this percussive style (captured in TE-301) is something that I've not learnt before, but am really keen to develop.  I'm envious every time I see guys and girls play like this, and have long wanted to learn how.  It really helps add some flavour to tunes :)

Oh, and in case you're wondering.... that guy you see walking down the street with bandaids on his right hand fingertips and new-found swagger in his walk is probably me ;)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App