Author Topic: TE-751 • Melodic Percussive Fingerstyle  (Read 19989 times)

strings

Re: TE-310 • Melodic Percussive Fingerstyle
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 08:31:40 pm »
If you tab it please notate where the hits are at the tail end of the run...that's where I am having the most trouble! I am hoping there is someone that can help with this.

strings

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 08:41:52 pm »
Justin doesn't show exactly what he is doing on the left hand either. It would have been WAY better if he had shown both hands together then I probably wouldn't be having this much trouble. He just runs down thru the scale on the left hand not showing exactly what he played in the example (RH fingers on what strings as he plays left hand). The scale I know...the technique and the sequence is what I am not getting. Thanks to anyone that helps!

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 08:54:24 pm »
Cue Zephyr told you the first time you asked  ???

Andy

strings

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 09:15:56 pm »
I thought this was supposed to be a forum for guitar playing questions...why all the hostility? As I stated before it's not the LH that I was having difficulties with! Forget it, too much attitude on this forum, I don't need this xx--xx! Well it was nice while it lasted (less than 12 hours)...I'm out! I'll figure it out on my own then!! Laterz...

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 09:27:14 pm »
@Strings - believe it or not we were trying to help you.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.

@Cue gave you an answer and I referred you back to a specific part of the video that you did not mention in your op - if you didn't understand Cues advice, then ask specific questions, same, same regarding the video.

We will more than willingly help you learn.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

strings

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 09:59:42 pm »
Listen I asked for a tab for a specific part of the video, and was hoping someone could give me some insights into the RH (I asked this several times). I have a decent ear, and heard the melody but was a little lost "putting it all together". I cam to this forum, for some help and Cue gave me a skeleton tab (thank you BTW) that while helpful, was nothing that I didn't know already...it was just the melody descending. My question was what the RH was playing EXACTLY as he was descending.
  It's a moot point now...I've gotten damn close to figuring it out myself, but was unsure of the "proper" technique...but no matter. I know now I can figure out this stuff by myself AND not be subject to peeps attitudes.  Good luck to all, and I was hoping for better on this forum

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 08:22:57 am »
Your first post ... please can someone do my homework for me?
Is it possible for someone to tab the G chord percussive sequence @ 5:51 of the video? This is exactly what I need help with.  Thanx...

First response ... Well, not all of it, but here's a little bit of guidance to help you on your way.
I could tab it out but I thought maybe it's enough if I told you it's 6th string and slap that contains a walk-down.
1ststring: 3rd fret - 1st fret - open
2nd string: 3rd frt - 1st fret - open
3rd string: 2nd string - open

Your second post ... please can someone do my homework for me?
Note - you give no thanks or acknowledgement of Cue trying to help you.
Can someone tab the G sequence at 5:50 plz? If I am unable to get a grip on this example and feel if I could at least get this then stuff will fall into place...as alot of music out there seems to follow this example. Thanx...

Second response ... could not be more precise and exact in helping you focus on the parts of the video that will help you.
You see the right hand at 5:50 and Justin shows you at 6:25 how to do the left hand.

Your third post ... meh, you're no good, can someone else help me do my homework?
Once again no thanks from you to Bootstrap, nor acknowledgement that he spent time trying to help you.
Doesn't help me at all...I've watched and worked on it for hours on end and still can't get a grip on it! Is it too much to ask someone to tab this please? I feel that if I could get this exercise it would benefit me greatly! Thank you!!

Next - three successive posts from you ... all just repeating the cry ... post the tabs, post the tabs, come on, do my homework for me.

Your fourth post ... please can someone help me do my homework?
I can hear the melody but I am not able to put the 2 together. If I could then I would not be posting. It's not like I haven't even attempted it...I have for almost 4 days, for hours on end and still am not coming close to nailing it and now I am highly frustrated. I was hoping to get some help on this, that's why i joined the forum. Thanks to anyone that posts the tab...it would be much appreciated!!

Your fifth post ... oh yeah .. make sure you do it properly. I don't want a half-assed job.
If you tab it please notate where the hits are at the tail end of the run...that's where I am having the most trouble! I am hoping there is someone that can help with this.

Your sixth post ... along the lines of come on everyone ... my teacher is crap and didn't teach me properly, I really need your help to do my homework.
Justin doesn't show exactly what he is doing on the left hand either. It would have been WAY better if he had shown both hands together then I probably wouldn't be having this much trouble. He just runs down thru the scale on the left hand not showing exactly what he played in the example (RH fingers on what strings as he plays left hand). The scale I know...the technique and the sequence is what I am not getting. Thanks to anyone that helps!

A chance for another response ...
Cue Zephyr told you the first time you asked  ???
Andy
Exactly as Andy says, you have already been helped ... and without giving any thanks back.

Your seventh post ... berating the forum members for not helping you to do your homework.
I thought this was supposed to be a forum for guitar playing questions...why all the hostility? As I stated before it's not the LH that I was having difficulties with! Forget it, too much attitude on this forum, I don't need this xx--xx! Well it was nice while it lasted (less than 12 hours)...I'm out! I'll figure it out on my own then!! Laterz...

This posts quite clearly shows the hostility is coming from you!
And, by the way,
As I stated before it's not the LH that I was having difficulties with!
is BS .. you have not stated this at all ... you have just made general requests for tabs.

Another response ... Bootstrap showing patience and a willingness to help even after your impatient and unreasonable outburst.
@Strings - believe it or not we were trying to help you.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
@Cue gave you an answer and I referred you back to a specific part of the video that you did not mention in your op - if you didn't understand Cues advice, then ask specific questions, same, same regarding the video.
We will more than willingly help you learn.

Your eighth post ... showing no class, no style and no gratitude.
Listen I asked for a tab for a specific part of the video, and was hoping someone could give me some insights into the RH (I asked this several times). I have a decent ear, and heard the melody but was a little lost "putting it all together". I cam to this forum, for some help and Cue gave me a skeleton tab (thank you BTW) that while helpful, was nothing that I didn't know already...it was just the melody descending. My question was what the RH was playing EXACTLY as he was descending.
 It's a moot point now...I've gotten damn close to figuring it out myself, but was unsure of the "proper" technique...but no matter. I know now I can figure out this stuff by myself AND not be subject to peeps attitudes.  Good luck to all, and I was hoping for better on this forum

Now to break this down ...

... (I) was hoping someone could give me some insights into the RH (I asked this several times).
No, no you didn't! You only mentioned your need for the right hand in your 7th post.

... I cam to this forum, for some help and Cue gave me a skeleton tab (thank you BTW)
Aha! Thanks at last.

... that while helpful, was nothing that I didn't know already
Not much of a thanks then!

... My question was what the RH was playing EXACTLY as he was descending.
Where exactly did you ask this exact question?

... It's a moot point now...I've gotten damn close to figuring it out myself, but was unsure of the "proper" technique...but no matter. I know now I can figure out this stuff by myself ...
Hooray!
You can do it yourself.
That is what folk have been trying to encourage you to do - with a little helpful prompting.
That is why Bootstrap wrote the famous teach a man to fish quotation.
And don't forget - the people responding to you had no idea whatever (because you gave them none) of your actual skill / ability level and experience of playing this style.

... AND not be subject to peeps attitudes.
You're the one with the attitude.

...   Good luck to all, and I was hoping for better on this forum
Mmmhh.
Do you know what?
We expect better on this forum .. better than you have shown.
We expect courtesy, manners, respect, gratitude.
We also expect people to contextualise their queries and problems so we can best help and guide them to become better guitarists.
If you leave you won't be missed.

avidjmlearner

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 11:16:52 pm »
Hey Justin and fellow guitarists!
I have been trying eagerly to learn "Stop this Train" by John Mayer.  I tried to learn "Neon", and thanks to your video Justin, I picked it up pretty fast.  However, I am not good at "Stop this Train" at all.  The technique involved must be one of my weaknesses.  It would be GREATLY appreciated if you, Justin, would post a tutorial on it.  Or, could someone who knows it share some tips?  I'm not sure i have the tabs right, and I don't know how to do the slap at all.  Thanks in advance everybody! (:

JimLad

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 11:19:32 pm »
you want a lesson on melodic percussive fingerstyle?  there is one already...

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 02:05:36 am »
Precisely what JimLad says - it's exactly the same technique. I've learned this technique from learning Andy McKee, Antoine Dufour and Don Ross songs as well as Justin's own "From Katie's Window".

It just requires practice to 1) get a solid slap and 2) become more accurate with hitting strings with the back of your fingers (nails).

I'd do a short video on it if there weren't so many already. ;D
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

avidjmlearner

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 09:33:11 pm »
Ok thanks guys.   :)  I wasn't sure for a while if you had to slap and then play or slap and play at the same time, but now i know.  Any idea on the correct chords/tabs for "Stop this Train" though?  ???

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 83
    • Ezyo Pourchez
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2012, 01:50:31 pm »
Look it up on YouTube - I learned it there also. ;)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

KnopflerFinger

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 11:52:20 am »
Hi all, can you please take a look at 46:05 of this video?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwQ8nLnk7as
It is Mark Knopfler playing a similar percussive hit,but seems quite different, he doesn't move his hand from the body
of the guitar, so maybe he does a sort of slap with a rotation of the thumb,not a palm hit.
The noise is not as strong as justin's technique,
but is enough sharp and very nice. How do you think he does?

JimLad

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 12:56:49 pm »
from other videos ive watched with him demonstrating his technique he's palm muting while dragging the backs of his fingers across the muted strings.

KnopflerFinger

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2012, 01:10:19 pm »
you mean like in  the very  beginning and at 5:20 of this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_8dDaPsSmg
yes it's probably this way thanks.. so the difference with justin's one is bigger then i thought

Get The Forum As A Mobile App