Author Topic: RO-004 • Mini Sweep Picking Arpeggios  (Read 11952 times)

NeilMack

Re: RO-004 • Mini Sweep Picking Arpeggios
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 06:25:57 pm »
Hello,

This lesson obviously has a great deal to do with speed, but I can't get fast enough to perform this technique the way it should be played (not necessarily SHOULD but you know what I mean). How do I speed it up? The lesson says to slow it down first and then speed it up when I feel comfortable (this is also stressed through out the website regarding speed) but it seems as though no matter how much I play this slowly, I can never get it to the speed I want it. Help please? Thank you in advance.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 52
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 06:53:47 pm »
I have not mastered this particular technique by any means, but with other licks and scales and arpeggios the way that has worked for me has always been to play it slowly and perfectly to a metronome and bump up the speed slowly.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Yerasov GTA 15, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive, Belcat Analog Delay, MXR Phase 90, Ditto X2 looper, MXR Dyna Comp, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs PP2

Offline Jonny5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 03:55:44 pm »
I had a go at this lesson a while back and managed to get the first little pattern down, so by no means an expert, but I may be able to offer some advice.

Justin does say in the video that at some point you just have to go for it. When playing slowly you're effectively doing a rest stroke with your pick, which feels quite different from the fluid motion you're going for. Firstly I would think you probably haven't played it slowly for THAT long, right? I mean realistically you're going to want to, once you have the pattern and timing down, work with the metronome slowly (say 8ths at 100-120bpm) for 10mins a day for a week at least. Try not to touch that metronome. Being able to play it X amount of times without mistakes doesn't mean you have it in muscle memory, it just means you can remember it. You still have to think about it which ultimately will limit you, so don't be tempted to think you have it well enough to increase speed. After that week or so start adding in bursts where you play 16th notes. At 120bpm ish it will start to sound suspiciously like a sweep. Gradually add more bursts until that's all you're doing and start to increase the speed as far as is comfortable. After that try moving to a different position, say an Eminor7 arpeggio, and work back and forth. Now it starts to sound cool. At that point I recorded a simple backing track going from Am to Em and started trying to work it in with other licks. That's as far as I got, hopefully a similar approach could work for you :)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 03:43:47 pm »
Been playing with this.  My big problem is making the sweep smooth.  This is exacerbated by the fact that the picked notes are interrupted by the hammers and pulls.  So the picking hand has to hesitate or slow down to allow the hammer or pull to take place.  That hoses my smooth sweep, it's like I have to stop to wait for the unpacked notes to happen.

Not sure how to deal with that.  Any insights?

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Bob Furgenburg

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 11:13:10 am »
Your not sweeping 3 strings in this, only 2

I haven't seen how Justin teaches this, but I would do it this way. I am assuming it's eighth notes.

Pick 12 hammer on to 14, pick has slight rest between G and B strings then sweep through 13 on B and 12 on E. Just practice that part over and over till smooth. All down strokes.

Now pick 15 on E string with upstroke, pull off to 12, pick has slight rest between E and B string, then sweep through 13 on B and 14 on G. Just do this half over and over till smooth. All up strokes.

Then join together. The hard part is finding the right muting technique to stop string noise. Use your neck pickup for a smoother sound.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App