Author Topic: AR-101 • Arpeggios: Why? How? Which? When?  (Read 22116 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
Re: AR-101 • Arpeggios: Why? How? Which? When?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 06:34:17 pm »
Major and minor Arpeggios are made up of just three notes. The Root the 3rd and the 5th. This makes
them a little boring. If you want to use them just leave off the 7th.

Offline mwelk83

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 05:10:07 am »
So with arpeggios... It doesn't matter what sequence the notes are played in but the corresponding notes of the chord are played in their entirety to be an arpeggio?

Seems that blues and jazz are highlighted to use arpeggios.

Is folk fingerstyle playing using arpeggios? Or does it again depend on entirety of the chord played?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 01:43:31 pm »
Generally with arpeggio's proper the sequence is played in order, that is typically how you hear them used.  Albeit starting on any degree and changing direction at will.  Generally what is happening in jazz and blues as a part of the lead line or melodic thing, more scalar thinking.

If you hold a chord and just kind of pick out the notes of that chord in it is often called "arpeggiating" the chord.  That is more chord grip shape based, more rhythm thinking, instead of strumming you pick out notes, more harmony thinking.  Generally what is happening in folk finger style. 

There is a lot of overlap though, the two concepts melt together around the edges...

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline mwelk83

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 03:40:05 pm »
I see so arpeggios aren't holding a chord just playing the notes in the chord as a lead line. Great thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J.W.C.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 09:04:29 pm »
When beginning to practice arpeggios, do you generally think about the notes or the intervals? For example, when practicing an A7 arpeggio, do you believe it's more useful to be thinking A-C#-E-G or Root-MajorThird-Fifth-MinorSeventh?

I've been doing the latter, which is good for thinking about the chord in general, but I'm also finding that thinking about the notes is useful. For example, if I want to move somewhere else on the fingerboard it's natural for me to think "I need a G" when switching positions. It's not so natural for me to think "I need the minor seventh in A."

I suspect the answer may be "both," but I'm wondering if there's a "best practice" when starting.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App