Author Topic: Jam with a Legend  (Read 1849 times)

A

Jam with a Legend
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:32:54 am »
Yup, last night I played with my good friend Stevie Ray Vaughan!

If you thought backing tracks were fun to play to, find one of your favourite tunes, figure out the key, and play with it! I was having a blast playing a bit of Hendrix style rythm and throwing in some embellishments while SRV solo'd, then when he'd break from it, i'd step in. It pieced together really nicely and you'll find that your soloing flows a bit more (especially if you reconstruct some licks that your guitar hero is playing). Not sure about anyone else, but when listening to a backing track I think about it too much. When you're chilling to music, you get caught up in it. This way, you just sort of find yourself playing along, y'know?

If you haven't already, try it! There are also backing tracks out there intentionally made for this type of thing (taking in turns with rythm/solo), so it's worth looking into.

Offline irishalkies

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 36
Re: Jam with a Legend
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:11:54 am »
I've been well into this lately, A. I've been frequenting this site:-

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

And pressing 'J' for jamtracks. It's got quite a good selection - and it tells you the key and the style being played. Had some wicked fun just getting into the groove and playing along, using all kinds of different scales to see what sounds good and what doesn't. I know you said you were playing along to some of your favourite music, which is cool, but when it comes to backing tracks - you just need to feel it, feel the groove, tap your foot, move your body or whatever, with no need to over think it. Just chill out and play what you want at you're own tempo.

Sometimes I just use one scale in multiple positions, and I've noticed that there's a double bonus in that I'm starting to see where the notes are on the neck, and how they relate musically. What I mean is, say if I'm messing around with Am penta, then I know I'm only looking at five notes, and naturally I'm looking all over the board for those five notes, and when I find them I'm mentally noting where they are, so I can come back to them later on.

I guess what I'm saying is - yes, have fun jamming with you're heroes, but don't give up completely on jam tracks. They're top fun, and educational mate.

A

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 11:06:24 am »
Will definitely check that site out. I think my problem is i'm used to repeating the same old 3 or 4 tracks on YouTube, so after a while I guess you lose inspiration and stop feeling it. Don't get me wrong though mate, backing tracks are brilliant fun, and like you say, very educational. Will also try your method of memorizing where the 5 notes are then returning to them, could be handy.

After I wrote that first post I came across an absolute gem of a backing track in Eflat which had a ballad feel to it. It's about 7 minutes long so i'm far from being bored of it. I play pretty much every key in flat (tuned a half-step down). Just sounds so much more bluesy and has that special 'feel' to it.

Anyway, after 'analyzing' a couple of my SRV live DVDs, I came across something that has confused me slightly, and at the very least, improved my playing a bit. When soloing, i'd start out in C#minor on the 9th fret (1st pentatonic scale form), bearing in mind this track is in the key of Eb, and then I moved the same scale up to Eminor on the 12th fret. This probably relates to the parallel/relative major/minor key thing, but i'm not too sure when it comes to that aspect of theory. All I know is that it sounds good. What's more is that I can still use the 2nd pentatonic position (in C#minor) on the 12th fret as well as the 1st position in Eminor... they kind of intertwine, if that makes any sense. Basically though, I can play on both the 9th fret and the 12th fret using position 1.

Here are the notes in both C# and E minor if it helps at all ;p

Key:            E              C#
                  G              E
                  A              F#
                  B              G#
                  D              B

Edit - So far i've noticed SRV using this parallel/relative/inverted position thing in Life Without You (F# and A minor) and in Lenny (C# and E minor).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:32:40 am by A »

A

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:41:47 am »
Nevermind, think i've figured it out.

I was playing E major pentatonic on the 12th fret over an Eflat backing track. C# is the relative minor of E major as they both share the same notes, which is obviously on the 9th fret.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:22:47 pm by A »

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »
mixing major and minor ...  :)

A

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 12:23:28 pm »
mixing major and minor ...  :)

It's brilliant close! Can't believe I never done this sooner!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 12:48:50 pm »
Now play some major/minor mix in one position. Say the 12th fret pent shape.

/=slide
~=vibrato

b-------12~~~~
g  /13

b-------12 14b15 12 12~~~
g /13

e 15b17 12
b----------15 12
g----------------14p12-----------14b16 12h13p12h13p12
d----------------------- 14~~ --------------------------14~~~~
Gone

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 06:49:16 am »

I was playing E major pentatonic on the 12th fret over an Eflat backing track. C# is the relative minor of E major as they both share the same notes, which is obviously on the 9th fret.

I hope you mean E maj pent over E, over Eb it would sound horrible!

C#min pent and E maj pent have the same notes.

Mixing maj and minor would be using E maj pent and E min Pent (as TB's licks are doing above! which is also a common SRV trick!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

A

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:43:47 am »

I hope you mean E maj pent over E, over Eb it would sound horrible!

C#min pent and E maj pent have the same notes.

Mixing maj and minor would be using E maj pent and E min Pent (as TB's licks are doing above! which is also a common SRV trick!

Well the rythm in the backing track is tuned a half-step down to Eflat, as was my tuning when soloing (like SRV of course).. so would that not make a difference? I was going to correct it by saying that I played in Eb major & minor over an Eb backing track... but that makes no sense!

Confusing. But like you say J, if it sounds good, it is good. And this certainly sounded good :D

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 01:28:13 pm »
I was going to correct it by saying that I played in Eb major & minor over an Eb backing track... but that makes no sense!

That actually does make sense. I was confused about the way the originally worded it as well but figured you just meant that you tuned down a half step.

All you have to remember is this... If you play at the 12th fret and play the E scale you would explain and communicate things as being E, not Eb.

Now if your guitar is tuned down that note at the 12th fret will actualy register an Eb on the tuner and be in tune with a recording of Hendrix, SRV, etc when they were detuned as well.

If you played a lick at the 12th fret but had your guitar tuned down a whole step you would be playing in D but your communication would still read as though it were E because E is assigned to the 12th fret.

You don't re-arrange the notes on the neck. They will always be the same.

You communicate it, think it, write it as normal. It registers to your ear and a tuner as whatever you have down tuned to.

So the proper method would be something like...

Hey, I've got some great licks and chord progression in E.  So everything is played at the 12th fret. Although I'm down-tuned to Eb to give it that SRV vibe.

Gone

A

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 02:24:58 pm »
Ah I see. It's pretty much common sense which I clearly seem to be lacking here! Maybe I was influenced to refer to it in such a way due to the track title (Eb) - which there's obviously nothing wrong with but I assumed the flat bit would apply for every other note stated. But as you say, it's the fret/root note that's important in the fact that it doesn't change.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 07:31:57 pm »
I use this site all the time for there backing tracks but never the saw the jamming tracks.  Thanks for the eye opener.

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline Lemming

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 06:00:20 pm »
Balada has just been downloaded  ;D More will be following !!
www.lemming750.co.uk
www.theuniononline.com/
www.myspace.com/glamalice

My Gear:.......
Hohner Strat copy;Aria Les Paul Copy; Applause Electro Acoustic; Novanex 50W amp; Roland Microcube; Tony iommi's Pre-amp !!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App