Author Topic: ATI CrossfireX Problem - HELP!  (Read 1936 times)

A

ATI CrossfireX Problem - HELP!
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:11:34 pm »
Before I blabber on about an issue that is now beyond me, I was wondering if anyone here was technically competent enough to have any experience with ATI/Catalyst Control Center/gaming/resolutions, and more specifically, "CrossfireX". Thought it'd be worth trying my luck before I take it to the ATI forums.

If you think you might be able to help, let me know and i'll share the problem. Cheers!

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: ATI CrossfireX Problem - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 02:08:39 pm »
Considering i've built over 300 PC's, i reckon i know a bit about ATI and Nvidia cards  ;)
Whatcha need to know ?

A

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 03:00:47 pm »
Considering i've built over 300 PC's, i reckon i know a bit about ATI and Nvidia cards  ;)
Whatcha need to know ?

Splendid!

Alright, in a nutshell, whenever I load a game in fullscreen, and I mean any game, I get these strange horizontal interferences scrolling up the screen constantly. It's like a poor TV signal or something. I tried to take a screenshot, but for some reason this interference didn't show.. which confuses me. What's more is that when I first got the computer, this never happened. It was only till I formatted that it began.

So naturally, I play around. Updated/reinstalled drivers and devices, nothing. Reinserted GFX Cards/monitor cables, nothing. Various resolutions and settings, nothing. Even formatted a second time (although for a different reason), nothing. Tried a few other things which I can't remember at the moment. However, and this is interesting, I set my monitor to portrait mode - hey presto! The interference stopped, and everything ran fine. I also disabled Catalyst A.I. in the CCC (from what I understand, this effectively disables most of the Crossfire features), and again, fullscreen was fine. This leads me to believe the issue lies with Crossfire, which baffles me as everything worked fine in portrait resolution.

I assume the problem is pinpointed towards software as gaming was great prior to the format. Windowed mode also works fine, but again, pretty much renders Crossfire features useless.

Put simply;

Landscape Resolution (Fullscreen game): Fuzzy interference
Portrait Resolution (Fullscreen game): Works fine (crossfire clearly working due to sky-high FPS rate and better performance)
Window Mode: Works fine (lower FPS rate for obvious reasons)
Catalyst A.I (Disabled): Works fine (lower FPS rate for obvious reasons)

Screenshot: Fuzzy interference not visible (will upload a photograph when i've found my lead)

Here are my system specs. Bit irrelevent but worth knowing nonetheless:

RAM: 6GB (3x2GB)
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz (overclocked to 4.00GHz)
Graphics: x2 ATI Radeon HD 5770's Crossfire
Power Supply: Corsair TX650W
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-11 16MB Cache

Will edit this post if i've forgotten anything, or if there are any updates.

Thanks!

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 04:37:11 pm »
Hmmm.
I'll need some driver version numbers for the videodrivers, soundcard drivers, Catalyst, and knowing your monitor's specs would also be nice.

Also, i assume you've tried playing with the game's (and catalyst's) anti-aliasing, vsync and anisotropic filtering settings ?
Usually, fuzzy interference-esque things on the monitor point to vsync issues or refreshrate issues.

A

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:34:35 am »
Ah yeah, of course.

ATI Display Drivers (Catalyst): 10.6
- This is the latest update. Tried rolling back to 10.3 and 10.4 but had no luck.
Monitor: ViewSonic VP171b

According to device manager:

Realtek High Definition Audio: 6.0.1.5964
x2 ATI High Definition Audio Device: 11.0.7706

And I have tried with/without all of those settings. This seems to be quite a rare problem..

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:29:42 am »
Ok, whenever you switch drivers, do you properly remove them, cleaning out all leftover files, or do you simply uninstall, reboot and install the new drivers ?

A

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 03:52:39 pm »
At first I just removed the display drivers via the Add/Remove Programs tool to no avail, so I went on to use a piece of freeware driver cleaner software. This led onto to some driver installation problems after which eventually forced me to format a second time. I've actually only tried a couple of other driver versions, but as I have said, everything was fine before my first format. Think I was using 10.4 when the display was all good.

(Btw, the drivers were installed with no problems once I had formatted, so the problem can't be driver related)

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 05:34:14 pm »
Hmm.
I'm sort of at a loss here.
This is one of those cases i'd probably have to fiddle with in person to find the issue, because if it isn't the drivers or settings, it could be the cable, or about 2000 other things.

I'd say your best bet is to go ask in the ATI forums and see if it's a common issue, or if someone knows an easy fix.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 11:15:43 pm »
What is the resolution of the game you are trying to display. IOW, does it output a certain resolution in full screen mode?

Do you have the proper drivers for the monitor from viewsonic?

Gone

A

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 01:54:54 pm »
Yeah you're right Dan. The problem is too general to pinpoint exactly, but on the contraire it seems unheard of.

TB, I have tried the game in all resolutions, but the dimensions I use should be 1280x1024. Would have to double check. I thought about monitor drivers but didn't bother with them as I've never needed to download them in the past. Will definitely look into it before I head over to the ATI forums.

Cheers guys.

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 02:32:35 pm »
so you cant grab it with a screenshot .. have you thought about the possibility its the monitor ? have you tried a different one with a different cable ?

isolate the problem .. does it happen without crossfire enabled ? does it happen with one graphics card ? does it happen on a different monitor ?

WEird issue though .. I have seen monitors do weird things in the past ;)

I had a monitor (still have it actually ) that will sometimes show this weird fuzzy sort of interference .. seems to happen more on certain colours ... never tried it in portrait mode might give that a go ;P but yeah if it still happens after a format and you have tried a different monitor, the maybe one of your cards is failing ?
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 04:01:24 pm »
I thought about monitor drivers but didn't bother with them as I've never needed to download them in the past.

My Samsungs like their exact drivers. I would most definitely try that.

Gone

A

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:38:03 pm »
so you cant grab it with a screenshot .. have you thought about the possibility its the monitor ? have you tried a different one with a different cable ?

isolate the problem .. does it happen without crossfire enabled ? does it happen with one graphics card ? does it happen on a different monitor ?

WEird issue though .. I have seen monitors do weird things in the past ;)

I had a monitor (still have it actually ) that will sometimes show this weird fuzzy sort of interference .. seems to happen more on certain colours ... never tried it in portrait mode might give that a go ;P but yeah if it still happens after a format and you have tried a different monitor, the maybe one of your cards is failing ?

There's a possibility that the problem is monitor-driver related as TB suggested, but again there were no problems before formatting and this was only a couple of months ago so it can't be the actual hardware. I would try a different monitor but.. I don't have another one yet! xD

Isolating the problem is easier said than done, hehe. It doesn't happen with Crossfire disabled - which is the same as using one card. I just have lower performance and feel i've wasted money on the extra card if I don't use both (that's why i'm stressing about this!) The entire system is relatively new, like months old, so i'm definitely leaning towards software issues.

Will try those monitor drivers when i'm next on the computer for sure though. Will let you know how it goes!

A

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 01:37:47 pm »
Bah, no luck with the drivers. Was hard enough finding one in the first place.

Guess my last chance is to ask the guys over at the ATI forums.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App