Author Topic: Agile AL3000: Stock Pickup Wiring Question.....  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
Agile AL3000: Stock Pickup Wiring Question.....
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:20:56 pm »
Just a quick question to see if anyone of our Agile owners might know, off the top of their heads, whose pickup wiring colour codes the stock Agile pups follow?.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
Re: Agile AL3000: Stock Pickup Wiring Question.....
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 06:33:33 am »
Ah.... Bugger........ Cheers, Dan.

You know...... I've got that lying around somewhere. If I'd been thinking, I'd have dug that out and worked it out from there  ;D

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 07:21:12 am »
............ And the reason I was buggering about with the wiring on my Agile?...........

......For want of anything better to do, I rewired it à la 'Jimmy Page' last night.

Took me about an hour; mounted the push / pull pots on an old vhs cassette case first and did the soldering I could do on the outside of the guitar body, then dropped the lot in in and connected the pups, switch, ground wires and jack socket. A bit tight in there, but made all the easier with the practised use of forceps and medical tweezers.

All in all, a very interesting mod. I didn't get too much time to test all the tonal variations thoroughly, but there were enough of them to make my head spin and they're going to be loads of fun. A very worthwhile mod, I think.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:19:22 pm »
Did you go the whole way with coil split and phase change wish, or just multi-coil split/multi phase ?

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 11:42:56 pm »
The full monty, mate......... four push / pulls and a reminder on a piece of paper that says there are 21 tonal variations in the switching....... 'cos basically I can't remember which is which for now   :)

I think I may be heading for tonal overload. I've just this minute finished fitting and wiring a Fuzz Factory clone into its enclosure and am about to test it. When I say 'clone'...... I mean it. The only difference in this one is that it has true bypass switching, a nice, ultra bright led, external DC power in and all components (except for the three electrolytics) are metal film............. oh yeah..... the trannies are a sourced NOS AC128 / AC122 pair...... Dunno where Z-Vex get theirs from.

I have two more builds to fit into enclosures when I get time, too. A Ross Compressor clone, which sounds good but needs a little fine tuning..... and a Boss CE-2 clone that I'm absolutely in love with already. That one gives me shivers; I sat there for half an hour today just playing random s*** and giggling to myself, 'cos it sounds that nice.

All three of these, in total, have cost me somewhere in the region of £80 - £90 tops. Not a bad price to pay for some very usable sounds; especially as they were fun to make, too; kept me occupied and out of mischief  ;D

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 12:36:05 am »
Wow, just....
Wow.
Once again, if you ever go into business buidling clones, i will gladly place an order for a Marshall shredmaster clone  ;) ;D

Also, a big holy toledo on the full wiring monty for the Page mod.
That's some insane tonal variations at ones' fingertips.
Would have gone with 4 minitoggles myself since i know the failure rate of push/pull's, but beyond that i'd say you've got it golden man.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 01:25:54 am »
Dan....... Yeah..... About those push / pulls..........

I learnt a lesson the hard way about those buggers.......... Wired them all up, dropped them into the body, connected the pickups, switch and jack; then all I had to do was connect up the common ground bundle and I was done. Didn't I let my bloody attention wander just for a second and I overheated the switch housing, killing the switch mechanism on the bridge tone.

Then, to make matters worse, I got one of the new speed knobs stuck on the neck tone and, while pulling it off, managed to yank the entire shaft out of the switch and right through the pot, killing that one too. I had to yank them both and use two new pots I'd ordered for my nephews Les Paul. That cost me a tenner, that lesson did. I could kick myself, 'cos I'm not usually that clumsy, but I'd never used these switching pots before and, if I'd known their construction a bit better, I'd have accounted for these pitfalls.

Ah, but you live and learn.

Yeah...... the mini toggles would be much more reliable. Those I have used and they're practically bomb proof; I just felt a little squeamish contemplating drilling holes in my Agile. If the push / pulls don't work out, I'll look down that route, but the little f***ers will be going under the scratch plate.

Incidentally.......... I have a little folder with a bunch of schematics and bits and bobs in it for a ShredMaster clone ;)  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App