Author Topic: Shure SM57 Review  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
    • Reliable Web Hosting @ 1&1
Shure SM57 Review
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:05:35 pm »
So i never decided where this should go since there's no mic review section.
So i dropped it here instead.

I finally broke down and bought one of these mics. I wasn't sure i would like it as while i hear nothing but praise, i also didn't want a mic that coloured my sound with a noticeable coating.

the good:
It's solid. Has a decent range and doesn't need a mic preamp to power it.

the bad:
it's a lot smaller than i expected it would be.
The top of the mic spins around like it's loose or something. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to be or not.

Now down to the recordings.
Acoustic:
Using the mic to record my acoustic playing gave results i wasn't expecting.
Recording acoustic guitar, it had a noticeable difference in the sound. A lot more bass and high notes were cutting through the mix, but the mids all seemed to drop off. Perhaps it's my mic placement that caused this, i don't know yet. Comparing it to my Samson condenser mic thought the difference was noticeable. Mic's placed in the same spot, the condenser mic captured all of the sound from the acoustic. But wasn't as bassy as the SM57 was.
I'll try and get some time to make some actual recordings to let you hear the differences yourselves.

Electric:
Since i don't have an audio interface, i used my looper pedal to record it (i have an xlr input on my looper for this specific reason).
However, having the looper set up in my effects loop meant i had to leave my guitar cables plugged in. Which prevent me getting an effective comparison recorded. Since the looper was picking up and recording both the line signal and the xlr signal and recording both of them at the same time.
So i'm going to re-arrange my layout again i think and take the looper out of the loop, so it's only mic'd. Then i'll do a few recording demo's of that, before i plug the looper back into the effects loop again (i like it in my loop, because i can run wav files through it without them being messed with by the preamp on my amp).

Overall:
From the little use i've had from this mic so far (only got it on friday the 25th), i'm impressed with it. It's got a good range and adds some depth to recordings that i think the condenser mic lacks on it's own. With the additional recording of the condenser along side the dynamic, i think i've pretty much got all my bases covered anyway.

I'll try to get some recordings done to share. Just some simple comparison demos (won't be any fancy playing, just a few simple chord changes, clean and dirty, i expect)

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
Re: Shure SM57 Review
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:15:14 am »
I done a recording using my SM57 and posted it in the Audio or Video of YOU playing :) forum

henry b

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:33:21 am »
The Spinning Top is normal , no probs.

Offline Ragz

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 35
  • Resident Spurs fan
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 04:08:44 pm »
The Spinning Top is normal , no probs.