Author Topic: How can I access my internal acoustic pickup?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
How can I access my internal acoustic pickup?
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:17:15 pm »
I'd like to try adjusting the position of my pick-up on my Tanglewood guitar before taking it to a luthier which will cost me money. I figure I've nothing to loose by trying first myself and I could even learn something.
But... I've tried everything from a dental mirror to shoving my mobile phone through the sound hole and it's just so hard to get access to it without taking the strings off.
The 2nd and 3rd strings are giving an electrical interference sound sometimes when it's plugged in. It could be a pre-amp problem I suppose but I think it is more likely to be the pick-up and taking it further away from the soundboard on the treble end might help.

Has anyone got any good tips or suggestions? Thanks.
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: How can I access my internal acoustic pickup?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:05:17 pm »
it's just so hard to get access to it without taking the strings off.

Has anyone got any good tips or suggestions? Thanks.

Take the strings off?
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline the_twin

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 07:30:01 pm »
What exactly are you planning to adjust with the pickup? Generally acoustic pickups run under the bridge saddle and there is nothing to adjust.
Have a peek inside of my Road Case

Offline thepicnicband

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • London, UK
    • YouTube Picnic Band Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:45:17 pm »
Thanks for the input.

Tourniquet, I read your guide on Setup here:-
http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=14023.0
and that's why I was under the impression that I might be able to lower the pickup but I've just realised that you were talking about an electric not acoustic guitar. You said...
"Pickup height: Either side of the pickup is a sprung screw that lifts or drops the whole pickup. The measurement I provide is the highest advisable setting, go further and the string will buzz on the poles or the magnetic field will seriously hit sustain. As the last item on the list, playing around with the pickup height is a simple way to experiment with subtle changes to your guitars output."
and I figured that the pickup inside an acoustic was mounted on springs of some kind.

OK... so I'm pretty naive when it comes to the electronics in an electro-acoustic. All I know is that I get interference noise when I hit the 2nd and 3rd strings. Should I take it in to the luthier or is there anything I could try myself?
NB I have sprayed dry lube (silicon) into the slider switches and slid them back and forth in an attempt to clean them but have not noticed the interference noise having anything to do with them.
Ben
Epiphone AJ500RE, Takamine EG523SC, Vintage VE2000GG-12, Tanglewood MR750F, Vintage V100WR, Epiphone Sheraton II, Marshall AS100D Acoustic Amp, Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:25:39 am »
acoustic pickups tend to be fixed in place with adhesive.
There's always things you can try yourself. only have to ask yourself if the worst case scenario is an acceptable price for the attempt.
In this case you would likely damage the piezo element needing a replacement (piezos are pretty cheap) and possibly a luthier to fit it.

It's not a tough job but a new element in a new position will change the sound and may not resolve the problem.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline PJMCM

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 07:56:23 am »
One thing which I have found causes problems with saddle-mounted piezo pickups is poor contact between the piezo element and the bridge saddle. Try this...

Next time you take the strings off, lift the bridge saddle out of the slot. Check that the slot is clean and dust-free (maybe use a vacuum cleaner??). Then check along the bottom of the saddle to see if it's smooth. If necessary, place some sandpaper on a flat, even surface and rub the bottom of the saddle gently and evenly across it, just to clean any burrs off etc. Be very careful not to remove too much material or you'll affect the action of your guitar. When you replace the saddle, make sure it is seated in the slot properly across it's whole width before re-stringing.

I've no experience with buzzing on certain strings, but this certainly helped me with strings which were quieter than others through the pickup.

Peter
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. (George Bernard Shaw)

1986 Epiphone Dreadnought Acoustic
Freshman FA1AM
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
1980's Hondo Bass (DIY restoration fun!)
Peavey Vypyr 30

Offline medievil

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 05:02:48 am »
electrical interference on an acoustic is very, very odd.. they usually have zero metal between string and the output(Unlike electrics which have a grounding wire running to the bridge and stop piece/tremolo, etc...

does the amp have a ground lift switch?? 9 out of 10 times it is an amp grounding issue ..

however if is it a crackling noise when you hit the strings, it could be the actual pickup , odd that it just affects 2 strings though...

another possibility as well could be interference from an outside source. Florescent lights are really bad as well as CRT monitors/TV's

Get The Forum As A Mobile App