Author Topic: Seymour D - SHPR-1  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Xaromir

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
  • Coolthulhu
Seymour D - SHPR-1
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:52:43 am »
I came across this funky little thing some days ago, and i wondered:
Are there any people with 1. hand experience or any opinions?

Pic stolen from thomann.

For those that don't know it:
I guess SHPR stands for Singlecoil - Humbucker - P90 - Rail,
and that's what it is, it's a humbucker, and when you split it,
you get a rail-singlecoil, and a p90 you can choose from.
The video SD filmed is quite interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZhJXcSVnfs

Not to sure though, the singlecoil seems to be the weakest link,
but then it's just a youtube video.
And who would really need this? Except for beginners, which may be unsure about what they want?
But at 100€ for one maybe a bit to expansive for a beginner i guess,
but then we also seen beginners here with gibsons mia strats and what not.
Any opinions / experience? Dunno.
Persona non grata.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: Seymour D - SHPR-1
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:54:23 am »
I've built these into a guitar before, if you use those SD pickup rings with the built in switch with these, they really come into their own.
They're a really nice toy if you need versatility.

Offline Xaromir

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
  • Coolthulhu
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:23:15 am »
One of the most interesting things about those is the fact that they don't look half as ugly as normal soaps,
which i find prescott-ugly, with those 2 additional screws between the poles.
And those apparently fit in normal humbucker cavities.
I know bare knuckle makes a hummy sized p90, but i have no idea what they sound like compared to a normal p90,
and i would really like the humbucker-p90 switching function.

I don't really want a toy i want one serious pup, dunno when i'm going to upgrade from the normal prs pubs,
but it will happen sooner or later...
Thanks for the opinion mate, it's most appreciated.
Persona non grata.

radarlover

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:59:02 am »
Those are awesome pups imo. I think they would be very cool in say something like an agile 3100.

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
    • http://www.highlanedtc.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 06:29:37 pm »
I have one of these in the bridge position of my custom. As Dan says very versatile but you are quite right about the single coil being the weak link

From my luthier

When Seymour Duncan designed these fine pickups they had in mind the upgrade market to replace the pair of humbuckers on an existing guitar. Their descriptions do not cover what is possible when you combine them with other pickup types on an original guitar.  When I first evaluated them I put a bridge P-Rails and a neck P-Rails on my test guitar with switching to try every possible coil configuration, and my assessment was thus:

Bridge P90 coil - excellent, just like a vintage P90
Bridge blade coil - thin, brittle, more weedy than a strat bridge
Humbucker - excellent, half way between a vintage humbucker and a P90
Both coils in parallel - a bit like strat in-between position 2 but not so good

Neck P90 coil - very good
Neck blade coil - thin, brittle, more weedy than a strat neck
Humbucker - OK, but rather wooly and unclear
Both coils in parallel - a bit like strat in-between position 4 but not so good

My conclusions are for an original do-everything axe:

The neck P-Rails is not a good choice. It is only very good at being a P90. It is not a great humbucker, and it is not a great strat.
Mellow P90 sounds can be got mixing the neck humbucker with the bridge P90 coil.

The blade coil is not worth using by itself. The middle strat would always be better.
The P-Rails both coils in parallel is not worth using. Using normal mode with the 5way in position 2 or 4 will always be better.

Basically great as bridge pick up with a humbucker in the neck  - or a single coil in middle and humbucker in neck

I went with Seymour Duncan SHPR bridge, Seymour Duncan "Quarter Pounder" in the middle and Seymour Duncan "Jazz" in the neck with various splitting / out of phase controls

Bear in mind this is one persons opinion - there is another thread about these pick ups - I think Schect was looking at them from memory
Fender CP 50s Strat, CP Baja Tele & USA '89 Plus Deluxe Strat, Rees Custom, Schector PT, G&L Trib. ASAT S/H & Legacy, G&L USA ASAT, Godin Summit, Vintage V100, PRS SE II &  Custom S/H Soapbar, Blackstar HT5, Fender Superchamp, Laney Cub10, Egnator Tweaker

julienarrijs

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:03:46 pm »

I know bare knuckle makes a hummy sized p90, but i have no idea what they sound like compared to a normal p90,
and i would really like the humbucker-p90 switching function.

how do you like your PRS ? did you get flatwound strings on it ?
upgrading the pup's on mine to BKP's made a major tone improvement, highly recommanded !

Offline agordon

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 06:13:39 pm »
I have a P-rail in the bridge position of my custom warmoth strat.  I really like the sound of it, but I rarely play it split.  It distorts really nicely.
Guitars: Taylor 314CE, Guild D50 Dreadnought, Alvarez RD8, Gibson LP Std. Trad. Pro, Warmoth Custom Strat, MIA Strat, MIM Tele, PRS SE Singlecut
Amps: Blackstar HT-5S, Peavey Classic VT 2X12, Kustom KMA35DFX
Effects: Line6 JM4, Vox Tonelab ST

schect

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 06:33:36 pm »
I wanted to use these when I built my custom L5 copy but didn't like the sound of the single-coil blades. I contacted Pete Biltoft and had him build me a set with a better sounding blade. He basically used his Strat single-coil blade matched with his Strat sized P90. They ended up being very nice and the single-coil tones are vrey good. They are pretty versatile pickups. The 3-position mini-toggle does the switching.

Tim

Offline äx

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:59:45 pm »
I was going to buy a pair of those. I liked the sound of the blades in the demo video, although I'm aware that it's not exactly strat-ish. So here's my question: Did those of you who actually tested and disliked the rails dislike the sound while watching the video already?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App