Author Topic: And you thought you had it tough!  (Read 3363 times)

Offline SJP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: And you thought you had it tough!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 08:39:10 am »
Wishbone,

There's a joke in this somewhere,

I know, i know... :-\
A mate of mine use to go out with a lovely girl with a plastic hand, and i mean none of us would ever have done or said anything remotely hurtful to either of them. But nonetheless....that schoolboy, toilet humour does inevitably kick in at some point... But i'm staying mum because i won't give some lofty soul the opportunity to mount a horse so high as to require an artificial oxygen supply.  ;D

Step off the roof of any tall building and I shall observe you positively failing to overcome gravity

Back in the day when tall buildings were less of a feature, Marx made a similarly scornful gag about drowning when engaging with the Hegelian Idealists.

...Not sure about the 'blaming the victim' thing, though. How do we define what it is to 'make something' of our lives? is that an internal or external definition?......... Indeed: some people are a victim only of their own choices. If a man wipes 60 billion squids off the stock market 'cos he zigged instead of zagged while playing with pork futures, would it suffice to say, by way of explanation, that he would never have made such a catastrophic error had he not been born and raised in a piss poor shanty on the outskirts of Soweto?

I think it's always a mixture of both depending on the individual, which in turn leads us largely back to a given political/social/economic/cultural context. Or to quote our German chum again, 'the ruling ideas are the ideas of the ruling class' * (i've probably got one or two Americans foaming at the mouth at this point  ;D ). Neither do we live in a vacuum, neither should we ignore all the ideas we take as read.
I'm not a goody-goody, guilty liberal revelling in the hopelessness of the damned of the earth which is why i'd suggest a determined, autonomous outlook whatever the circumstances. I don't believe circumstances totally determine your future or owt as crass as that. But in my experience the two phrases are either linked, implied or assumed i.e 'you can be whatever you want to be therefore if your situation is dire then you only have yourself to blame'. Very convenient. I think most people have internalised that belief. *
As for your stock market scenario, i would only suggest that someone from Soweto would find it very difficult to get into that situation in the first place. But then again, why would he want to ?  ;D

Btw, you've been quiet a bit (?) Still, accident would have it that i've topped up on that nasal whiiiiine while watching Nowhere Boy, Away Days and Of Time And The City... ;)

Lucianot

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 10:23:23 am »

Some people's biggest handicap though are there minds and not just the ones who have had the lobotomy done. 

I'm worried that I don't have enuff time on this planet to become guitarist that I want to be at 42 years of age. This truly depresses me and I'm OC over it.  I guess I will have to come to terms with the fact that I will get as excellent as I can while living on this planet.  I wish I could of started when I was 5 or so years of age.  Funny how things unfold in your life!

Exactly, I bet he can't play with my brains!

About the age, man, my father sent me to guitar when I was 10 and I hated, i didn#t learn anything and I got sacked off the guitar school after 3 months.
I am glad I sarted again at 36 because then I was really ready. I am not going to sabotage this one an I hope you won't either :)
Keep playing!

bigoli

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 10:45:36 am »
If you're struggling, and think "I'll never be able to learn the guitar", maybe this will change your mindset a little.
If that one doesnt work 4 u, try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3gMgK7h-BA

A

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 01:01:41 pm »
I'm sorry, but I need to take this to new depths.

This man does not play with his fingers. This man does not play with his arm stubs. This man does not play with his feet. This man does not even play with his tounge.

No, this man has sucessfully managed to EAT his guitar, and has then trained his organs to play the instrument inside his body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcKLCADjjao

You can see he's feeling some.. discomfort.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:53:10 pm by A »

plyte

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 01:47:59 pm »
on second thought nevermind
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:01:46 am by plyte »

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 05:36:26 pm »
SJP-

You may be right about that lad from Soweto...... He'd tell them to keep their suits. He may be poor..... but he's not stupid.

Yeah....... The company I work for has taken over another business and it's been my job to assess and assimilate a whole bunch of new technology, hardware and processes; so for the past three weeks I've been working out of the other place and pulling it all to bits a slogging away to get up to speed with things, so I can keep the work going out once the changeover came. It's been a bit frustrating at times, but we're almost there. It's left me with little time for my usual pursuits, as I'm too bloody tired.

I'm left feeling as though it's all been a positive and, above all, productive three weeks though; so .... can't complain........ but it'll be nice when things settle down again  ;D

Offline SJP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 05:44:07 pm »
So what's your job usually ?

p.s. ...and it'll be nice if you cut out the bloody workspeak - just thought i'd run that up the flagpole.

;)

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »
SJP-

Sorry.....I'll simplify:  I've been learning how to operate a sewing machine  ;D

Hehe.....I'm not kidding either..... It's just one bleedin' big sewing machine. I'm usually a dispatch supervisor for a janitorial goods company, but this new company has a service we never provided in-house before: personalised workwear, health and safety wear and protective clothing....... either via embroidery or heat pressed vinyl transfer. Seeing as how the previous owners are gone and were the ones who operated all this hardware, guess who the project team thought of when the question arose as to 'who do we have that can do this sort of thing?'

So now I'm a dispatch supervisor/graphical logo designer/machine operator and technical support (seeing as I also get to fix it all when it goes wrong and something goes sproing!).

This is what happens to you when people suddenly notice that you're consistently good at fixing s*** and then bother to go read your CV to find out why. Now I have 'Skills that can be utilised to the benefit of the company as we move forward'

It's all rather a new challenge, really, so I don't mind. It's just been a bit of a rush job, cramming all the knowledge and technical know how into my noggin in such a short space of time without losing any of it, then hitting the ground running with it so there's consistency for the customer. I'm tired.....but I'm satisfied that I've done a good job, all things considered.

All I have to do now is let things calm down a bit, then take a deep breath; 'cos then I have to start training other people to use the technology. All in good time, though; for now I'm having a well deserved weekend break  ;D

Offline SJP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 07:31:37 pm »
...'kin hell - and that bloke in the video thought he had it tough ?!  ;D

Maybe this thread will turn into a Python-esque escalation of hardship tales...

Anyway, welcome back into the fray for the usual existential gibberish and verbal ping-pong.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App