Author Topic: Guitar Challenge V - Shoot To Thrill - AC/DC  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Guitar Challenge V - Shoot To Thrill - AC/DC
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:12:50 pm »
What with the detail in the lesson and the quality backing track I figure it's worth adding AC/DCs "Shoot to thrill" to the challenges for those that didn't get a chance during the competition.
The competition is closed so the rules don't matter for any versions posted here (follow the original solo if you wish, but improvising is good practice)

There original contest page can be found Here
Incase the page is removed when the competition closes, links to the materials are below.

Justins lesson can be found here - here

Tab can be found here - here

Backing track can be found here (Right click link and choose "save linked content")

If you want to see it played all in one go, Solodallas has an excellent version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it1-yBDcjNs

This is a great track for all skill levels, so have fun ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:39:21 pm by close2u »
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: Guitar Challenge V - Shoot To Thrill - AC/DC
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:54:19 am »
As the competition is completely done and dusted I'll put my video up to get the ball rolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbhsogJMQa4
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline medievil

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 07:18:03 am »
ahhh didn't see this thread earlier when I posted this elsewhere...

no cam so no video
playing an SG faded with SG standard pickups (490R/498T) through a Line 6 pod studio with a plexi 100 amp sim(25 watt celestian 4x12 stack sim) not to bad to be completely simulated as best I can tell...

No speakers at all so no feedback (Using ATH-M30 headphones)

Anyway as Tourniquet pointed out in the other thread, it's a little off at the beginning (Didn't want to have to record it again and was thrown a little off not doing the whole riff as I used to doing it)
Leads definitely a little shoddy since I just started doing the whole finger gym thing 3 days ago when I ran across this site...been playing for almost 30 years, but NEVER once did a scale or tried to play "Correctly" just learned on my own so I am sloppy as all get out..

http://www.esnips.com/doc/f736647e-39e9-419b-a5e1-570a9a5a1e34/ShootToThrill-Backing3

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 01:47:01 am »
Medievil I gave it a listen.  You did a really nice tight job on the intro.  The solo was great.  Not as shoddy as you said it might be in you comment about you playing the solo in the song.  Timing was spot on!
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:52:30 am »
I went digging around in my video vaults, and there in a dusty corner found this forgotten and neglected recording. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HPvzPpCVeg

I was too late learning this to enter the competition that Justin ran in conjunction with AC/DC and the Iron Man folk to win a guitar or some other goodies - it's just aswell as I don't really think I would have been a contender.   :)

I can't believe how off the beat I am after just one burst of the initial riff. I seem to recall that I had turned my amp up really loud and couldn't hear the backing too well. At least that will do as an excuse for now maybe... lol.  I got back on the beat and in the froove after a short time ... until the very last chord! Hit it a fraction too soon. D'oh!

Oh, and I really fumbled on the solo ... a straight 4/4 rock solo is so difficult for me ... I'm still trying to get to grips with a slow blues solo never mind a thumping hard and fast rock solo. Ah well, parts of it were (just about) passable.

Anyway, I had a real blast playing it ... and as I haven't (yet) gone back to relearn and improve it I thought I would post this video anyway.  After all, I am still a learner and know that not everything I record and post needs to be just right ... that's exactly the point ... without seeing your mistakes and weaknesses and getting helpful comment from others you won't improve.

:)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:44:38 pm »
@ close2u

I was never a contender from the word go.  I was in the infancy of becoming a guitar player and for the most part I still am.  Sure some parts of Shoot to thrill I can do but not up to speed.  Whatever though as I still am proud of my accomplishments no matter how small they may be.  I was thinking of Shoot to thrill last night and thought I should get it out and go over it but to no avail!  I thought that I was one of the few still struggling with the "blues solo".  Heck I have some really groovy riffs and they sound excellent according to myself but I get stuck in them and always fall back on them.  Then I look at people doing improvs on Youtube and say no way I want to sound like them.  It's one step at a time though.  I have to accept the pace at which I'm going.  I'm doing everything in my power to excell at playing and so it is what it is!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:37:48 pm by close2u »
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 06:59:36 am »
"I coulda been a contender, I coulda been somebody instead of a bum."

@ licks - Anyway, what did you think to the vid? And are you going to practice the song some more?

@ others ... any more for any more?

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:09:18 am »
"I coulda been a contender, I coulda been somebody instead of a bum."

@ licks - Anyway, what did you think to the vid? And are you going to practice the song some more?

@ others ... any more for any more?

About the vid,

Your doing a heck of a lot better than me! I haven't  played this for I guess 6 months.  I think it's time to dust it off and start playing it again.  Your timing like you said was little bit off in some parts but you sure had some nice bends happening.  Did you have fun?

Yes I think I definitely need a change of pace.  I'm getting  frustrated trying to put together a simple blues solo.  My fingers are really sore from all the flippin' bends.  Ya I think practice some Shoot to thrill.  I have to see how much in general my playing skills have improved.

UPDATE:

Last night I got the song out and noodled around for a while on it.  I was surprised to learn that some of the parts I couldn't play and sounded terrible are now attainable.  It's just the beginning,  the timing of the intro and it still has me by the short and curlies.  The solos are not a piece of cake but this time at least I can play them.  The solo in Back in Black is certainly a lot harder than this song.  This is very doable but with lots of practice.  Changes are very quick in this and it may take sometime for these "old" fingers to get up to snuff.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:46:43 pm by licksnkicks »

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 06:38:40 pm »
bump

come on folks  - climb aboard!

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 07:18:42 am »
OM gosh!  I can't even think about this song let alone playing now.  I got my fingers caught in a lawn mower.  My picking hand was seriously damaged.  Right index finger is hamburger from the 3rd knuckle up and my second finger suffered but not quite as much. 

I would of gladly had another baby.  The pain was absolutely incredible.

It will be months along with maybe some physio!

I wish it weren't so!

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 08:56:52 pm »
Is the tab and backing track available here somewhere still?  The links aren't good any more and I searched around and couldn't find it anywhere.

Offline H M Murdock

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:56:59 pm »
Cool video Close2u. I like it. You nailed that solo really well, very accurate to the original.

When I get to the point of playing solos I'll have a go at this one for sure :)
Everything louder than everything else

https://www.facebook.com/matt.m.gilbert

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 03:40:25 pm »
Is the tab and backing track available here somewhere still?  The links aren't good any more and I searched around and couldn't find it anywhere.
Backing track link & tabs now restored in the OP.
Justin is will be fixing the main website links soon

Offline Steve St.Laurent

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 06:17:43 pm »
Thanks Close and Justin - appreciate it.  Now to get to work :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App